March 28, 2024, 07:38:28 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Corruption in the United States.

Started by Lozal, June 20, 2008, 10:47:23 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Nyerp

Quote from: Laurami on June 23, 2008, 04:54:42 PM
Yes, every country has some bit of corruption, yet Finland has the lowest level in the world according to a magazine article I read.

So you base your opinions off your mother and random magazine articles?

just1more

My family's been thinking about getting out of here in a few years and moving somewhere else in the world, yet I doubt it will actually happen.

My parents actually said that if the draft were ever reinstated, we would probably move.

There's a better chance of me joining the Navy before I got picked, though.

Lozal

Quote from: Pyner on June 23, 2008, 05:42:55 PM
So you base your opinions off your mother and random magazine articles?
No, I'm basing my opinions off facts about things happening in the United States.  doodthing;

Quote from: Yoseph on June 23, 2008, 05:44:06 PM
My parents actually said that if the draft were ever reinstated, we would probably move.

I see. My mom's been saying that she wants to get out of here, but it won't happen likely.  doodella;
powerofone; powerofone; powerofone; powerofone; powerofone;

Quote from: Pyrate on November 20, 2009, 05:11:08 AM

"You have an amazing body. You have amazing breasts."

Hiro

draft is unconstitutional.  doodthing;

I'd high-tail it north.

KonohaShinobi

Yes, every country has some bit of corruption, yet Finland has the lowest level in the world according to a magazine article I read.

Lol, there is now a measurement of corruption? Source, I believe that "fact" was just passed off due to your obsession with finland.

Lozal

June 23, 2008, 08:27:09 PM #20 Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 08:35:26 PM by Laurami
Quote from: KonohaShinobi on June 23, 2008, 07:11:07 PM
Lol, there is now a measurement of corruption? Source, I believe that "fact" was just passed off due to your obsession with finland.
No, sir.

http://dubaiforvisitors.com/2008/01/27/worlds-most-corrupt-and-least-corrupt-nations/
http://www.data360.org/dsg.aspx?Data_Set_Group_Id=738
http://www.infoplease.com/toptens/leastcorruptcountries.html

There's three sources there for you.

Finland tied with Denmark and New Zealand, making it tie with those two as the least corrupted country in the world.  doodthing;

just1more

Quote from: Vostroya on June 23, 2008, 08:40:50 PM
This topic is stupid and I'm tempted to lock this thread.

Define "corruption," everyone keeps throwing around the idea and I don't think any debate of meaning is happening here. I think what a lot of people are getting at is that the rich control everyone else in a democratic nation, and that fits in my definition of corrupt.

Like people have said, though, obviously our glorious country is "corrupt." So is every country. If you can find me a government that wasn't formed by or doesn't operate with corruption, then I'd conclude it's a very small nation or you made it up.

One of my opinions on the subject is that a large country (50,000,000+ citizens, let's say) cannot be run without significant and noticeably terrible blemishes.

Then I say the country should be divided.

KonohaShinobi

Quote from: Yoseph on June 23, 2008, 08:48:57 PM
Then I say the country should be divided.

You should run for office, please start another civil war.

Lozal

Define "corruption," everyone keeps throwing around the idea and I don't think any debate of meaning is happening here. I think what a lot of people are getting at is that the rich control everyone else in a democratic nation, and that fits in my definition of corrupt.
corÃ,·rupt
ââ,¬â€œadjective
1.   guilty of dishonest practices, as bribery; lacking integrity; crooked: a corrupt judge.
2.   debased in character; depraved; perverted; wicked; evil: a corrupt society.
3.   made inferior by errors or alterations, as a text.
4.   infected; tainted.
5.   decayed; putrid

Yes, it means that the higher-ups in society and government are the ones controlling everyone in a democratic nation.

Like people have said, though, obviously our glorious country is "corrupt." So is every country. If you can find me a government that wasn't formed by or doesn't operate with corruption, then I'd conclude it's a very small nation or you made it up.
Yes, every country has a bit of corruption, but there are some countries that operate with nearly no corruption, which I already named in this thread, Finland, Denmark, and New Zealand.

They're not too small of nations.

just1more

Quote from: Vostroya on June 23, 2008, 09:05:10 PM
I'm mostly musing aloud, but I think it may be moderately effective to divide the US into regional superstates that are almost fully independent, but still joined by solid economic and political bonds, a bit like the UK. Each region could have its own self-contained copy of the Federal government that the whole country has now, and have smaller state governments like we have now also. If this was combined with a real House of Representatives that was composed of a good few thousand people that would govern the combined nation of superstates and a supreme council of several president-like figures.

This has several advantages. The most important I think would be that each superstate/region could control its own funds and development plans. Presently we have this in the form of state governments, but anytime there's something serious that needs a lot of money, how often does the state actually have the money? Katrina, 35W bridge collapse (something that actually affects me), San Diego fires, etc. In smaller superstates funding for different things could be much more controlled and streamlined, and fewer things (like education, hopefully) would be left unattended to.

I know I just described a system that will never happen (I'm guessing), so to offer an idea for a viable solution I'd say that state governments should be given much more power, and people should get some incentive to get involved in state-level politics. Elections for state governors should be as intense as presidential elections, and they should get nearly as much power within their state (combined with the other bodies of state legislature, of course).

I completely agree with everything you just said. In fact, I've contemplated such things in the past.

It would be a lot like a middle ground between the Articles of Confederation and the Constitution. In my opinion, the military and currency should still be federal. but much more power should be given to the states. In fact, I think the superstates should be formed out of the several regions of the US, with a few tweaks.

Unfortunately, I can't see this happening even in OUR lifetime. Maybe not even our children's.

Selkie

yeah, the greatest country in the world is going to just somehow completely implode and collapse and never be heard of again.

The economy has been through times like this in the past, have you heard of the Great Depression? Guess not. Hey, we got out of that, didn't we?

Also, speculators already say that there is relief in sight in regards to oil. And if there isn't, there are scientists working 24/7 to adapt, like this country has been doing for centuries, and make cars that run on alternate sources (i.e. water, air, electricity). We change to suit our benefit. We don't just allow our country to fall into a ditch and die.

Also, I hate more than anything when people complain about our government being corrupt. All governments are corrupt, we are honorable compared to most others. It is inevitable to have corruption in the hands of people with power, get the fuck over it.

hotlikesauce.

Quote from: KonohaShinobi on June 23, 2008, 10:58:05 AM
oh Shut up, this has been going on since the beginning of time. Hell the country was created due to corruption. The entire world is based on the corrupted. You can't stop it. There is probably corruption in canada (which already sucks) anyway.

This country was created to get away from corruption, and domestic tyranny.

hotlikesauce.

I DONT WANNA DEFEND MY COUNTRY

LET THOSE BASTARDS DIE. IM OUTTA HERE

Lozal

Quote from: Selkie224 on June 26, 2008, 01:17:02 PM
yeah, the greatest country in the world is going to just somehow completely implode and collapse and never be heard of again.

The economy has been through times like this in the past, have you heard of the Great Depression? Guess not. Hey, we got out of that, didn't we?

Also, speculators already say that there is relief in sight in regards to oil. And if there isn't, there are scientists working 24/7 to adapt, like this country has been doing for centuries, and make cars that run on alternate sources (i.e. water, air, electricity). We change to suit our benefit. We don't just allow our country to fall into a ditch and die.

Also, I hate more than anything when people complain about our government being corrupt. All governments are corrupt, we are honorable compared to most others. It is inevitable to have corruption in the hands of people with power, get the fuck over it.
Why do they say there's a relief in sight for oil? Even if they find a bunch under the ground in some country, the prices still aren't going to go down and it's not doing anything better for the environment. psyduck; I heard that there's going to be a big drop in price right before elections to try to convince people to vote for a certain candidate, which I don't understand, but right there shows corruption. psyduck; Why can't there be a drop now? Why not next Thursday? Why right before elections?

Scientists working on alternate fuels? What a joke. There haven't been any breakthroughs in developing a car that could do anything without fossil fuels and if they do happen, it probably won't be for a long time, then time required for assembly and to sell them. Imagine how high the prices of those cars will be.  doodthing;

There won't be eco-friendly and relief from oil for anyone but the rich for a long ass time, sir.
Quote from: Silent Rob on June 26, 2008, 02:02:50 PM
I DONT WANNA DEFEND MY COUNTRY

LET THOSE BASTARDS DIE. IM OUTTA HERE
You're an idiot. psyduck;

hotlikesauce.

Quote from: Laurami on June 26, 2008, 03:06:34 PM
Why do they say there's a relief in sight for oil? Even if they find a bunch under the ground in some country, the prices still aren't going to go down and it's not doing anything better for the environment. psyduck; I heard that there's going to be a big drop in price right before elections to try to convince people to vote for a certain candidate, which I don't understand, but right there shows corruption. psyduck; Why can't there be a drop now? Why not next Thursday? Why right before elections?

This is a prime example. I'm guessing it will be Barack because he has to put some meaning to his empty words of "change".

Scientists working on alternate fuels? What a joke. There haven't been any breakthroughs in developing a car that could do anything without fossil fuels and if they do happen, it probably won't be for a long time, then time required for assembly and to sell them. Imagine how high the prices of those cars will be.  doodthing;

That's like hybrids. The prices get so high, and they only last for about 100,000 miles. I read that it would be more cost efficient to buy a full sized truck (16 mpg?). You save money on the actual car itself, and it lasts longer.

There won't be eco-friendly and relief from oil for anyone but the rich for a long ass time, sir.You're an idiot. psyduck; 

I honestly can't see why we can't drill in alaska...

I'd like to think I'm not an idiot. He won't defend his country, so I was implying that he's like those tree hugging faggots who only care about how the enviroment feels.

Go Up