September 22, 2024, 10:35:55 AM

1,531,318 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Realism in video games

Started by don't let's, May 08, 2008, 12:52:18 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

don't let's

Do any of yall think that if any part of a video game is unrealistic then nothing else in that game can be realistic?

YPrrrr

Samus Aran

...no. Why would anyone think that? There's always at least a part or two of any fictional work that can be realistic.

doodthing;

don't let's

The reason I asked is because on this other forum somebody basically outright said that "since this part of this certain game is unrealistic nothing else in that game can be realistic"

YPrrrr

Quote from: LiveOnTheEdge on May 08, 2008, 01:09:54 PM
The reason I asked is because on this other forum somebody basically outright said that "since this part of this certain game is unrealistic nothing else in that game can be realistic"
What is the game specifically?

don't let's

strongbad

Quote from: LiveOnTheEdge on May 08, 2008, 01:15:50 PM
Well they were discussing Halo 3

I just looked out my window and saw an elite
should i befriend it?

Placebo Headwound

Quote from: LiveOnTheEdge on May 08, 2008, 01:15:50 PM
Well they were discussing Halo 3
You mean there's something realistic about one man destroying an army of aliens?

Samus Aran

Quote from: Thief888 on May 08, 2008, 04:11:51 PM
You mean there's something realistic about one man destroying an army of aliens?

no but i'm pretty sure there are tidbits of realism here and there

for example i'm pretty sure any other person trying to kill aliens would also use firearms

Placebo Headwound

Quote from: Kaz on May 08, 2008, 06:10:00 PM
no but i'm pretty sure there are tidbits of realism here and there

for example i'm pretty sure any other person trying to kill aliens would also use firearms
Would they use alien weapons that shoot plasma? doodthing;

Samus Aran

Quote from: Thief888 on May 08, 2008, 06:25:23 PM
Would they use alien weapons that shoot plasma? doodthing;

no but they would probably breathe and move like master chief does

Placebo Headwound

Quote from: Kaz on May 08, 2008, 06:26:20 PM
no but they would probably breathe and move like master chief does
Would they also jump as high as master chief and withstand a bunch of bullets pumped into them?

Samus Aran

Quote from: Thief888 on May 08, 2008, 06:27:59 PM
Would they also jump as high as master chief and withstand a bunch of bullets pumped into them?

no but they probably are living organisms similar to how there's living organisms in halo games

don't let's

That's not the point. The guy basically said that just because master chief can fall hundreds of feet and not get hurt, and because guns have recoil in the future that nothing in the game could be realistic just because those things were unrealistic.

Sam

I don't think it's so much "realistic", because Fantasy games are great fun.

But when something strays too far from the "realism" as set in each individual game (like Link all of the sudden sprouts wings out of his ears and flies from dungeon to dungeon), then yet, it's easy to lose your sense of being 'absorbed' in a game.

The same can hold true for books and movies, though.
1.8mb is too huge for a sig nigga

Go Up