April 18, 2024, 05:09:34 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Racism

Started by JSLink, May 06, 2008, 11:10:26 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

anus

Quote from: B.A.M. on May 29, 2008, 04:20:28 PM
That announcement wasn't an attempt to not to be racist.

Either way, important accomplishments by a race still opressed is not something to ignore. It's important to face this issues head on.

If it wasn't, then what is the point of announcing it? Why didn't they say it's both their first time to be head coaches in a Super Bowl (if it was), or some other accomplishment? It shows that they've accomplished someone as an individual, not as a part a certain race.

Since I'm not black, I guess I don't see things they way black people do.

dicks

B.A.M.

Quote from: Co-Z on May 29, 2008, 04:41:10 PM
Things like black history month are fucking retarded. They're honoring people for accomplishing things, because they're black. Basically, it's saying "Black people aren't as accomplished as white people so let's recognize whenever a black person accomplishes something". People still do that; if you're successful and you're black it's a big acheivement. But if you're a successful white, no matter what kind of troubles you've faced, people give less of a shit.
You must have a very cynical personality to think that. Look, blacks are discriminated against on a significant scale. Some things that are being accomplished now they never had the chance since, well, now. (Obama anyone?) Whites as a whole aren't discriminated against. If you grow up in a poor area and go through tough times there you will be treated better when searching for colleges though. It really depends on what you're talking about specifically.
So I was in Latin Class when we were talking about World War II. This guy in the back yelled out, "Germany bombed Pearl Harbor!"

The kid next to me stood up and yelled back to him, "No you, dumbass! Fucking Mexico did!"

I didn't even know Mexico had an air force!

My friend speculates that it's Trucks driving off cliffs but who really knows?

CHAOS66

I don't see why you guys are arguing over who gets discriminated more often. Does it really matter?

B.A.M.

Quote from: CHAOS66 on May 29, 2008, 05:58:57 PM
I don't see why you guys are arguing over who gets discriminated more often. Does it really matter?
In some cases it does. I'm not too sure that this is one of them. Really, the topic has been more of when they were discriminated and to what level.
So I was in Latin Class when we were talking about World War II. This guy in the back yelled out, "Germany bombed Pearl Harbor!"

The kid next to me stood up and yelled back to him, "No you, dumbass! Fucking Mexico did!"

sans culottes

Quote from: B.A.M. on May 29, 2008, 05:40:28 PM
You must have a very cynical personality to think that. Look, blacks are discriminated against on a significant scale. Some things that are being accomplished now they never had the chance since, well, now. (Obama anyone?) Whites as a whole aren't discriminated against. If you grow up in a poor area and go through tough times there you will be treated better when searching for colleges though. It really depends on what you're talking about specifically.

Yeah, they do face discrimination. But we exaggerate it quite a bit.

The best way to stop racism is to stop thinking of us as different races. We shouldn't say "Hey, this black guy acheived this and he's black!", we should say "Hey, this man acheived this!". We need to think of race the same way we think of hair color; it's an insignifigant physical feature.

We're not black, or white, or whatever, we're human. We need to act ourselves, not our race. It's pretty sad how many young blacks think they have to be a certain way because they're black, in example.

So, really. We'll stop racism when we stop having pride in our race, stop acting like racial stereotypes, stop judging someone based on race, and in general, stop noticing the insignifigance of race.
I support BUSH

B.A.M.

Quote from: Co-Z on May 29, 2008, 09:17:17 PM
Yeah, they do face discrimination. But we exaggerate it quite a bit.

The best way to stop racism is to stop thinking of us as different races. We shouldn't say "Hey, this black guy acheived this and he's black!", we should say "Hey, this man acheived this!". We need to think of race the same way we think of hair color; it's an insignifigant physical feature.

We're not black, or white, or whatever, we're human. We need to act ourselves, not our race. It's pretty sad how many young blacks think they have to be a certain way because they're black, in example.

So, really. We'll stop racism when we stop having pride in our race, stop acting like racial stereotypes, stop judging someone based on race, and in general, stop noticing the insignifigance of race.
Ignoring races doesn't help when other willingfully don't. It only worsens the problems. It's important to face these issues head on so that people are made aware that racism is still a problem in America. While this isn't racism, there are school (private) and communities in America which believe that Jews have horns growing out the back of their head.

sans culottes

Quote from: B.A.M. on May 30, 2008, 03:01:31 AM
Ignoring races doesn't help when other willingfully don't. It only worsens the problems. It's important to face these issues head on so that people are made aware that racism is still a problem in America. While this isn't racism, there are school (private) and communities in America which believe that Jews have horns growing out the back of their head.

To ignore race would require most of us to be able to think "Yeah I'm of this descent, but that don't mean shit". If people keep having excessive pride in their race, things will be worse.
I support BUSH

Daddy

Quote from: B.A.M. on May 30, 2008, 03:01:31 AM. While this isn't racism, there are school (private) and communities in America which believe that Jews have horns growing out the back of their head.
what wtf souce please

B.A.M.

Quote from: Co-Z on May 30, 2008, 05:38:46 AM
To ignore race would require most of us to be able to think "Yeah I'm of this descent, but that don't mean shit". If people keep having excessive pride in their race, things will be worse.
Don't confuse race with culture.

B.A.M.

Quote from: JMV on May 30, 2008, 10:07:44 AM
what wtf souce please
http://www.danielpipes.org/article/2489
This is in France but still worth posting: http://www.iht.com/articles/2004/02/12/t1_21.php

I also saw something which said 15% of United States citizens are unquestionably antisemitic. While that is significant Jews hang out in communities and won't face these people most of the time.

Ezloﺕ

hey whenever i look at the news racism against blacks are covered so much

but racism towards other races dont get as much attention

why is this
:)

B.A.M.

Quote from: Ezlo on May 30, 2008, 04:10:26 PM
hey whenever i look at the news racism against blacks are covered so much

but racism towards other races dont get as much attention

why is this
Racism against Hispanics gets some attention.

The reason blacks get a lot of attention in the media is because they have such a huge history with the United States. From being slaves to the civil rights era. Let's not forgot Obama is running for president as well ;)

sans culottes

Yeah, but how much blacks alive were slaves? Also, blacks under forty probably didn't have much trouble with discrimination laws. Guess who else has been a victim of racism in the United States?

-Early European immigrants (especially Irish)
-Catholics
-Jews
-Mormons
-Muslims (right now, even)
-Homosexuals
-Asians
-Hispanics

Every race has been hugely discriminated against at some point in history. Every race has been enslaved before. The word slave comes from slav, because slavs were once slaves. And if we're thinking America in general, black people aren't the only one who have had problems with racism.

To this day, racism is in decline. Not much people have been around (as in, old enough to understand what's going on) when their race was under massive discrimination in America. If we want to be equal, we need to forget about the fucking past.
I support BUSH

Ezloﺕ

Quote from: B.A.M. on May 30, 2008, 05:36:15 PM
Racism against Hispanics gets some attention.

The reason blacks get a lot of attention in the media is because they have such a huge history with the United States. From being slaves to the civil rights era. Let's not forgot Obama is running for president as well ;)
no

thats just dumb

the media blows things out of proportion

and the ";)" makes me want to strangle you
:)

Daddy

Quote from: Ezlo on May 31, 2008, 11:12:13 AM

and the ";)" makes me want to strangle you
I thought I was the only one that the emote had that effect on.  Every time I see it I just want kill the person for being a smutfag.

Go Up