March 28, 2024, 02:26:13 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Guns!

Started by Boogus Epirus Aurelius, March 15, 2008, 07:25:32 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

So I had a little discussion with one of my friends today. He told me his father had just bought a working Ak-47 gun with a buttload of ammo. It now rests comfortably next to the rest of his handgun collection. I suppose my only question was, why?

Got me thinking a bit, it did. So why the hell are handguns and any other non hunting related firearm sold to the public. I mean, think about it. Handguns, specifically, are designed to kill people. So why sell the public a firearm designed to kill other humans.

Or better yet, why dont they sell the guns cheap, but make ammo incredibly expensive. $5,000 a bullet. I dont know, it's just one of those sore spots I harbor. Guns suck amigos. I'm not bringing up anything new. Thoughts? Opinions?

ncba93ivyase

Guns are for "defense."

I don't buy it.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

But, if nobody sold guns in the first place, what would you need to defend against? It would certainly make gang fights a little more even, what with everyone relying on knives or chains.

j o e i n c

March 15, 2008, 07:41:03 PM #3 Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 07:45:25 PM by Vunderhof

So I had a little discussion with one of my friends today.awesome He told me his father had just bought a working Ak-47 gun with a buttload of ammo. no way, that's the same gun a terrorist uses, he must be a terroristIt now rests comfortably next to the rest of his handgun collection. oh wait, maybe he's a collector and uses it for sport I suppose my only question was, why?

Got me thinking a bit, it did. first time, it was So why the hell are handguns and any other non hunting related firearm sold to the public. why not I mean, think about it. okHandguns, specifically, are designed to kill people.not always So why sell the public a firearm designed to kill other humans. profit

Or better yet, why dont they sell the guns cheap, but make ammo incredibly expensive. $5,000 a bulletbecause even austfailia isn't that batshit insane. I dont know, it's just one of those sore spots I harbor. my nipples are sore spots sometimes Guns suck amigos. wait a second, my mosin nagant is sucking off my spanish speaking friends? god damn itI'm not bringing up anything new.ive heard it a thousand times Thoughts? Opinions?

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Boognish on March 15, 2008, 07:32:44 PM
But, if nobody sold guns in the first place, what would you need to defend against? It would certainly make gang fights a little more even, what with everyone relying on knives or chains.
There are people (JMV) that would argue a gun can be used to protect yourself from government oppression, police, etc. If you whip out a gun on an officer, you're shot without hesitation; if you're trying to take down the government as a whole, then you'd have to be pretty stupid, so it's a horrible argument.

If someone breaks into your house at night and comes into your room, it's possible you'd be killed before you'd even find your weapon. You could keep it in a gun cabinet in another room to "scare off" any potential burglars/murderers/whatever (yes, I've known people that actually think displaying their weapons will deter crime), but all that person would have to do is snag your weapon. The only way I could possibly see it actually proving to be good for defense is if you sleep with it under your pillow and manage to shoot the person if they broke in downstairs, or just fire a few rounds to maybe scare them off.

The only purpose I see for them is hunting or law enforcement. e.g. woman being held hostage with a knife to her throat and an officer shoots the man.

Also, stuff like paintball is okay I suppose. I don't play it but it's highly unlikely to kill someone.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Daddy

Quote from: Lawlz on March 15, 2008, 07:43:29 PM
There are people (JMV) that would argue a gun can be used to protect yourself from government oppression, police, etc. If you whip out a gun on an officer, you're shot without hesitation; if you're trying to take down the government as a whole, then you'd have to be pretty stupid, so it's a horrible argument.
If the only people with access to firearms are law enforcement and the government, that's just asking for a situation that can be abused.

j o e i n c

it's a horrible thing the founding fathers had evil gun weapons and resisted the british

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: JMV on March 15, 2008, 07:47:27 PM
If the only people with access to firearms are law enforcement and the government, that's just asking for a situation that can be abused.
If the general public doesn't possess firearms, the police have less use for them.

Beanbag guns and whacking sticks for the general police force, guns for the highly specialized units.
Quote from: Vunderhof on March 15, 2008, 07:49:24 PM
it's a horrible thing the founding fathers had evil gun weapons and resisted the british
the confederacy did the same thing but they were bad people

j o e i n c

Quote from: Lawlz on March 15, 2008, 07:51:12 PM
If the general public doesn't possess firearms, the police have less use for them.

Beanbag guns and whacking sticks for the general police force, guns for the highly specialized units.the confederacy did the same thing but they were bad people
the general public wouldn't ever want to shoot someone unless they absolutely had to

damn the confederates for wanting to leave the union

j o e i n c

If someone breaks into your house at night and comes into your room, it's possible you'd be killed before you'd even find your weapon. You could keep it in a gun cabinet in another room to "scare off" any potential burglars/murderers/whatever

it's also possible for you to get hurt while trying to use a fire extinguisher so e need to ban those

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Vunderhof on March 15, 2008, 08:04:48 PM
it's also possible for you to get hurt while trying to use a fire extinguisher so e need to ban those
let me change that to probable

you can shoot someone in the face with a fire extinguisher and they'll gag, but live

you can shoot a person in the face with a gun and they'll die

Daddy

Quote from: Lawlz on March 15, 2008, 08:15:09 PM
let me change that to probable

you can shoot someone in the face with a fire extinguisher and they'll gag, but live

you can shoot a person in the face with a gun and they'll die
You can shoot some one in the face with a fire extinguisher and they might die.

You can shoot some one in the face with a gun and they might live.

j o e i n c

Quote from: JMV on March 15, 2008, 08:21:02 PM
You can shoot some one in the face with a fire extinguisher and they might die.

You can shoot some one in the face with a gun and they might live.

You can shoot someone in the face with a gun and they might live. Everyone hides and someone calls the police. A while later, the police come to arrest you to find 7 other people dead, with you dead on the floor from suicide.

You can shoot someone in the face with a gun and they might live. A person with a CCW shoots you.

baddood;

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: Vunderhof on March 15, 2008, 07:49:24 PM

Obviously times have changed. I hardly think the population is planning a revolution. Unless you know something about one? Maybe then that statement would have an ounce of validity.

Quote from: Vunderhof on March 15, 2008, 08:04:48 PM

Yes, but last time I checked, fire extinguishers were built and designed to put out small fires, not shoot a small metal projectile into someone. Right?

Obviously the prospect of seriously banning gun sale to the general public is incredibly unrealistic, as advantageous as it would be. Still, I think there are a few more guidelines that could be budged into place to try to at least make it even more difficult to purchase a piece.

Quote from: Vunderhof on March 15, 2008, 08:37:17 PM
You can shoot someone in the face with a gun and they might live. Everyone hides and someone calls the police. A while later, the police come to arrest you to find 7 other people dead, with you dead on the floor from suicide.

You can shoot someone in the face with a gun and they might live. A person with a CCW shoots you.

baddood;

And where exactly are you going with this here?.......

Zeta

Quote from: Lawlz on March 15, 2008, 07:51:12 PM

Says the man who gave the knife to the hostage throat as an example of how police can use guns. How, pray tell, do I call the police in the middle of a home invasion or when I have a knife to my throat?

Go Up