April 17, 2024, 11:48:13 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Big Brother; Do you support it?

Started by strongbad, March 14, 2008, 02:54:52 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Nyerp

strongbad

Quote from: Nyerp on March 17, 2008, 12:52:17 PM
Hi. You haven't read 1984.

I'm actually starting it tonight for english.

Zeta

Quote from: lukas on March 17, 2008, 02:55:41 PM
I'm actually starting it tonight for english.

Then you should know that the government will play on paranoia and start using these powers against political opponents.

Walter

No. If they have a whole "big brother system" to watch over us it will be misused. If something is worthy of being looked into they can get a warrant within a couple days. Wiretapping and other methods do not make us any safer. If anything it makes us less safe. If someone with the wrong intent gets there hands on the system then it could be very bad.

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

I dont exactly think it's the people's decision weather or not it be implemented. The good ol' American government is going to go ahead and further poke and pry either way.  Here come the thought police!!!!!

strongbad

Quote from: Boognish on March 19, 2008, 07:18:53 PM
I dont exactly think it's the people's decision weather or not it be implemented. The good ol' American government is going to go ahead and further poke and pry either way.  Here come the thought police!!!!!

Well, you gotta look at it from the right angle. Sure, it can be misused, but I think that if it has the potential to stop events such as 9/11 happening all over again, it's well worth the invasion of our privacy.

Oh, 1984 is much more extreme than the patriot act is. I wish people wouldn't compare the two so closely.

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: David. on March 19, 2008, 09:23:17 PMbut I think that if it has the potential to stop events such as 9/11 happening all over again
No, you're an idiot, shut up.

Maybe it does have the potential to stop future terrorist strikes by the people (READ: not guaranteed), but it allows the government to effectively become true terrorists by insisting it is a necessity for everyday life and without it we'd be bombarded everyday by every single nation in the whole world.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

strongbad

Well I said it was potiental too  baddood;

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: David. on March 19, 2008, 09:23:17 PM
Well, you gotta look at it from the right angle. Sure, it can be misused, but I think that if it has the potential to stop events such as 9/11 happening all over again, it's well worth the invasion of our privacy.

I can only disagree.  See, there's two parts in particular that completely shape my mindset. The "sneak and peek" which basically gives officers and officials a complete right to search a home without the occupant's knowledge or permission and the complete ability of the FBI to search phone and financial records without a court order. Bullshit.
   It's not a question whether or not it's been misused, it's how much is it being misused, especially under Mr. Bush's oh-so-patriotic administration.
   The patriot act would NEVER have even come close to stopping terrorists from flying planes into buildings.
   So, you're saying Americans should have to give up a basic right, privacy, for a half assed civilian monitering program? No thanks. I like my phone conversations private.

Zack777

Well, I kinds use Remote Desktop to spy on my little brothers, so I guess I can't say I don't support it

Go Up