April 20, 2024, 08:51:14 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Big Brother; Do you support it?

Started by strongbad, March 14, 2008, 02:54:52 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

No, not the TV show.

Anyways, I think that it is a good step against terrorism, as long as it doesn't get overused. I feel that if you're a law abiding citizen then you should have nothing to worry about. The total invasion of privacy is slightly scary, but I think it's worth it if we can use it to help stop terrorism.

Houdini

What, are you talking about wiretapping?

Daddy

Quote from: Houdini on March 14, 2008, 03:03:40 PM
What, are you talking about wiretapping?
I think he's talking about wiretapping, cameras on the streets, access to what you view on the internet, RFID embedded in the real ID, and all of that shit.

I don't think any of those should be used or justified with the reason of supposedly making us safer.  It doesn't make us any safer from potential abuse by authorities. 

Zeta

Indiscriminate wiretapping and RFID chips do nothing for security and only exist to expand the powers of tyrannical assholes like Bush and Nixon.

guff

Quote from: lukas on March 14, 2008, 02:54:52 PM
Anyways, I think that it is a good step against terrorism, as long as it doesn't get overused.
how do you ensure that

j o e i n c

Absolutely not.

STFU, GTFO, 1984, etc.

Samus Aran

No. Not at all. Just the fact that it's named after Big Brother should remind everyone of how invasive, not to mention tyrannical, that is.

ncba93ivyase

No, I'd rather not sacrifice personal liberty and privacy just so that the government will pick up a message from a possible but unlikely terrorist that may or may not actually intend to do any harm and attempt to prosecute them in any and every way possible for a crime they more than likely weren't going to commit.

Actually supporting it is about as stupid as saying the war in Iraq was completely justified because they might have had weapons of mass destruction that they could've used against against and possibly taken over our land. With logic like that, we should be at war with the whole world because any nation could launch an attack against us at any time.

Also, it seems all the government is trying to do is scare the people into thinking there are terrorists on every street corner. If anything, the guys in Washington are terrorists for using fear to get whatever bill passed they please.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

reeper

Quote from: Lawlz on March 15, 2008, 12:13:36 AM
No, I'd rather not sacrifice personal liberty and privacy just so that the government will pick up a message from a possible but unlikely terrorist that may or may not actually intend to do any harm and attempt to prosecute them in any and every way possible for a crime they more than likely weren't going to commit.

Actually supporting it is about as stupid as saying the war in Iraq was completely justified because they might have had weapons of mass destruction that they could've used against against and possibly taken over our land. With logic like that, we should be at war with the whole world because any nation could launch an attack against us at any time.

Also, it seems all the government is trying to do is scare the people into thinking there are terrorists on every street corner. If anything, the guys in Washington are terrorists for using fear to get whatever bill passed they please.
And actually the worst thing is they don't use the "wiretapping" jut for terrorists as they claimed they were. It says in the patriot act that it can be used for other things. Exact wording was "other things" or at least something so vague that they could use it for almost anything.

Stupid fucking politics don't read shit they pass.

strongbad

In euro studies yesterday my teacher was discussing big brother and that stuff with us and he said that they passed the patriot act at midnight so there was hardly anybody there to vote against it.

guff

Quote from: lukas on March 15, 2008, 12:01:30 PM
In euro studies yesterday my teacher was discussing big brother and that stuff with us and he said that they passed the patriot act at midnight so there was hardly anybody there to vote against it.
uh, just about everyone got a chance to vote on it, and most voted for it doodthing;
senate vote tallies and house vote tallies

tell your teacher to stop being retarded

YPrrrr

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

sans culottes

Quote from: Commodore Guff on March 15, 2008, 12:31:09 PM
uh, just about everyone got a chance to vote on it, and most voted for it doodthing;
senate vote tallies and house vote tallies

tell your teacher to stop being retarded

Paul voted against it. I love him even more now.
I support BUSH

Zeta

Quote from: Co-Z on March 16, 2008, 11:03:21 PM
Paul voted against it. I love him even more now.

I think Paul and Kucinich were the only candidates who even cared enough to read it. Makes me wonder why we give a shit about the shitty canidates like McCain, Romney, Huckabee, Clinton, and Edwards with those two around.  >.<

Go Up