March 28, 2024, 01:37:11 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Evolution makes no sense at all

Started by One Man Freak Show, May 14, 2007, 04:06:22 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

YPrrrr

Quote from: musica.cards on May 18, 2007, 12:23:53 AM
Quote from: ONEMANFREAKSHOW on May 14, 2007, 04:06:22 PM
I'm a Christian, so I believe that God made the universe and all that.

I don't understand how people can believe in evolution. They say molecules came together to form something. How did those molecules get there? They just magically appeared? How can one believe in say, ghosts, but not believe that God created everything?

A better question is how did God get here?
I never understand this retort. How did physical logical elements come from nothing vs how did a miraculous immortal creator come from nothing. Obviously the standard would not be the same

Samus Aran

musica.cards

Quote from: YPargh on February 08, 2017, 08:27:57 AM

I don't understand how people can believe in evolution. They say molecules came together to form something. How did those molecules get there? They just magically appeared? How can one believe in say, ghosts, but not believe that God created everything?

I never understand this retort. How did physical logical elements come from nothing vs how did a miraculous immortal creator come from nothing. Obviously the standard would not be the same

I don't think it was supposed to be a resort  doodhuh;
[move]gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby [/move]

YPrrrr

Quote from: musica.cards on April 07, 2017, 08:08:23 AM
Quote from: YPargh on February 08, 2017, 08:27:57 AM

I don't think it was supposed to be a resort  doodhuh;
Not in this context but it is often used as one

Kalahari Inkantation

April 25, 2017, 10:34:27 AM #49 Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 05:44:05 PM by Majorana's Mask
Fun Fact™ for 2007-era YPR (wow that was ten years ago holy shit): Evolution and Christianity are not mutually exclusive belief systems. Also, the Catholic Church has fully embraced and teaches evolution as part of the regular curriculum. At least, in Europe.

Have your personal beliefs on this matter changed in the past 10 years, 2017 YPR?

i'm curious, you've always struck me as so well educated and proud and defensive (in a noble way) of your catholic philosophy in the often aggressive face of internet atheism

you are an enigma to me

YPrrrr

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on April 25, 2017, 10:34:27 AM
Fun Factâ,,¢ for 2007-era YPR (wow that was ten years ago holy shit): Evolution and Christianity are not mutually exclusive belief systems. Also, the Catholic Church has fully embraced and teaches evolution as part of the regular curriculum. At least, in Europe.

Have your personal beliefs on this matter changed in the past 10 years, 2017 YPR?

i'm curious, you've always struck me as so well educated and proud and defensive (in a noble way) of your catholic philosophy in the often aggressive face of internet atheism

you are an enigma to me
Oh cool, thanks. I always kind of assumed people rolled their eyes and muttered about how naive and dumb I was/am girl;

My Catholic schools, and most others I know of actually, taught evolution in our science classes with a caveat that some religious scholars disagreed on the subject. It was generally explained to me, however, that Catholicism and evolution had no major issues and could coexist. Afaik other Christian groups are more strict. Sometimes it seems acceptance of things kind of precedes the Vatican so I'm not sure when it became officially acceptable but in my lifetime it had always been taught as evolution being the most likely.

I am a very lax Catholic especially since moving away from family. I still enjoy the traditions and the moral guidance and I really like the new Pope who I think brings a voice of reason to the world. However there are Catholic ideas I disagree with so I wouldn't say I'm 100% on board. I think the idea that hell awaits anyone who doesn't follow Jesus is ludicrous when God is supposed to be full of unconditional love. That being born in a certain part of the world would increase your likelihood of following another religion and thereby doom you. Plus, if Catholicism is correct and I died today I would likely be damned so it's good for my mental health to kind of hope some aspects are wrong and being a decent person is more important than going to church every week y/n

Kalahari Inkantation

April 26, 2017, 03:04:04 AM #51 Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 03:07:27 AM by Majorana's Mask
You are a bad Catholic, but the epitome of a good Christian.

I mean that as a compliment.

happydood;

rdl

i don't like protestants, they're violent and fight too many wars

catholics are ogs

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: ADX on April 26, 2017, 07:17:57 AM

historically true i guess but i mean i'd say they've settled down a bit in recent... uh, centuries

silvertone

crusades were catholics, catholics have done way more dmg than protestants in the name of religion.

YPrrrr

Quote from: SVT on June 08, 2017, 02:22:52 PM
crusades were catholics, catholics have done way more dmg than protestants in the name of religion.
fuck yeah

We've mellowed out now though we have matured

rdl

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on April 26, 2017, 07:19:15 AM
Quote from: ADX on April 26, 2017, 07:17:57 AM

historically true i guess but i mean i'd say they've settled down a bit in recent... uh, centuries
>implying the iraq war wasnt protestant aggression

Go Up