September 22, 2024, 02:32:17 AM

1,531,318 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Ok so two OS questions.

Started by Cookie, February 11, 2008, 06:03:03 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Cookie

Anyways im kinda a noob when it comes to how OS systems work and how they boot since I have only been a Windows 98, ME, and Xp user. (Lol for run ons) Anyways so pretty much out of pure boredom I felt like downloading Linux to a flash drive I have. So I downloaded the files from a site I googled and saved it on my flash drive. Now how the fuck do I boot it up? When I click it its like "Needs to be read through a disc or somthing" But then I try buring it to a disc and its like no fuck you. So yeah what I do or have any links so I can downlaod linux to a flash drive?

Now question two is how do I copy Windows XP that is on my computer to a disc and how big of a disc do I need?

CutLess

im a noob so dont listen to me
Quote from: The_Cookie_Monster on February 11, 2008, 06:03:03 PM
Anyways so pretty much out of pure boredom I felt like downloading Linux to a flash drive I have. So I downloaded the files from a site I googled and saved it on my flash drive. Now how the fuck do I boot it up? When I click it its like "Needs to be read through a disc or somthing" But then I try buring it to a disc and its like no fuck you. So yeah what I do or have any links so I can downlaod linux to a flash drive?

I have a feeling that this can quickly be fixed with the follwing question:  are you sure you're turning your computer off with the flash drive/CD in?

Quote from: The_Cookie_Monster on February 11, 2008, 06:03:03 PM
Now question two is how do I copy Windows XP that is on my computer to a disc and how big of a disc do I need?

This is where the nub part of me really starts showing...From what I know, you can't.  Unless you buy another copy of XP and burn it to another disc, that seems to be impossible.

Title27GT

Go on Btjunkie.org, search Windows XP PRO student edition reseed, download it, burn the .iso file to a disk, and voila. Me and Lawlz both used it with Boot Camp and it worked perfectly.

ncba93ivyase

Make sure your image can be booted from a flash drive. If not, then there's on of your problems.

Make sure you followed all instructions provided on putting it on a flash drive.

Make sure your BIOS is confirgured to boot off external devices before checking the harddrive. I think you can edit this by hitting F12 or something like that while booting up.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

CHAOS66

Well first you have to go into BIOS and make sure you can boot off external hard drives, or something like that. And then you have make sure the files you have are boot-able (i.e. .iso files).

Cookie

Ok so I found out I had downloaded the CD version of Linux and needed the USB flash version. So I downloaded that and unzipped the file. Then hit F12 when restarting my computer and when I click on option 6 USB flash drive it says not bootable. So wut?

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: The_Cookie_Monster on February 12, 2008, 06:02:47 PM
Ok so I found out I had downloaded the CD version of Linux and needed the USB flash version. So I downloaded that and unzipped the file. Then hit F12 when restarting my computer and when I click on option 6 USB flash drive it says not bootable. So wut?
Set it as the first thing to boot?

If you can't, then that's it.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Kingoftherings

Quote from: The_Cookie_Monster on February 12, 2008, 06:02:47 PM
Is it mounted properly?

Cookie

Quote from: Kingoftherings on February 15, 2008, 05:37:43 PM
Is it mounted properly?

Yeah it was, I got it all to work right so yeah.

Go Up