March 28, 2024, 09:52:25 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Is being gay a choice or a genetic trait?

Started by hotlikesauce., November 15, 2009, 09:06:53 AM

previous topic - next topic

Is being Gay a choice or a genetic trait/defect?

A Choice
3 (14.3%)
Genetic Trait/Defect
6 (28.6%)
Enviromental Factor
12 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Go Down

silvertone

Still, I don't believe there is a gay gene either and that you're simply "born" gay. There's been much evidence that usually show it's more complicated and likely based on a combination of environment, epigenetic factors, blah blah etc.

YPrrrr

I can't tell what hurts my eyes more - the image or all the watermarks

Himu

Quote from: SVT on July 10, 2017, 01:21:30 PM
Still, I don't believe there is a gay gene either and that you're simply "born" gay. There's been much evidence that usually show it's more complicated and likely based on a combination of environment, epigenetic factors, blah blah etc.

moreso the use of the gay gene as an oversimplified answer is how i should've specified lol

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Himu on July 10, 2017, 05:05:51 AM
I always thought the choice argument was just plain stupid period. I never understood why anyone would consciously choose to be gay if being straight was an option. I mean, people get kicked out of their homes, bullied, and even kill themselves over their sexuality. Hell, some people say they knew they were gay when they were very young, before they even really understood societal norms in relation to themselves and their own sexual identity. So yeah, I don't really understand the choice explanation, unless you're deeply religious and also decide to forgo reason as well I guess.

Still, I don't believe there is a simple gay gene that makes you "born" gay. There's been much evidence that usually show it's more complicated and likely based on a combination of environment, epigenetic factors, blah blah etc.

agreed with everything

if the theories fail to explain natural phenomena with such embarrassing regularity as the separate "nature" and "nurture" theories do, then obviously they're bad theories

Quote from: Himu on July 10, 2017, 05:05:51 AM
I always found the twin studies to be pretty interesting, because for a while people assumed that twins would either both be gay or both be straight, which would be the logical assumption if a gay gene were to be the primary reason. Although if I recall in the cases where one twin was gay, there was only like a 15 or 20% chance that the other one would be as well. So it implicated that while they may share the same DNA, it doesn't necessarily mean that they'd have the same sexuality as previously thought.

Sadly, evidence or reason doesn't seem to go very far these days when it comes to a hotly debated topic such as this one.

and that's where epigenetixxx comes in dittodood;

it's the only thing i'm aware of that could possibly fill every single one of the gaps in the prevailing, horribly incomplete gay theories

Quote from: SVT on July 10, 2017, 01:21:30 PM

[spoiler][/spoiler]

i'm not sure if this is agreement or mockery but either way, you're completely right girl;

Quote from: YPargh on July 10, 2017, 01:29:44 PM
I can't tell what hurts my eyes more - the image or all the watermarks

rofl

Daddy

Quote from: YPargh on November 15, 2009, 12:23:47 PM
There was something on the Colbert Report once with this guy that was talking about how some male fish and frogs are gaining more feminine features due to the content of the water... Perhaps it has something to do with homosexuality as well, i don't know... I feel like there should be some sort of explanation as to why some people have certain traits
TURNIN THE FRIGGIN FROGS GAY

silvertone

YPrrrr

Quote from: Khadafi on July 12, 2017, 09:40:54 PM
Quote from: YPargh on November 15, 2009, 12:23:47 PM
There was something on the Colbert Report once with this guy that was talking about how some male fish and frogs are gaining more feminine features due to the content of the water... Perhaps it has something to do with homosexuality as well, i don't know... I feel like there should be some sort of explanation as to why some people have certain traits
I mean what's ridiculous about that though

Kalahari Inkantation

July 12, 2017, 10:03:12 PM #172 Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 10:06:21 PM by Majorana's Mask
Quote from: YPargh on July 12, 2017, 09:49:00 PM
Quote from: Khadafi on July 12, 2017, 09:40:54 PM
I mean what's ridiculous about that though

nothing, actually

it's a known, well-documented phenomenon

http://news.berkeley.edu/2010/03/01/frogs/

in fact, it is yet another point in favor of the epigenetic theory

[pdf]https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00900509/document[/pdf]

ctrl-f that document for "epigen" and see what you find giggle;

most notably, look at the abstract and part 5

Daddy