Any other christians who question the bible?

Started by FULL_METAL_RYDER2, December 29, 2007, 11:26:05 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

CHAOS66

September 05, 2008, 07:34:33 PM #30 Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 07:44:41 PM by CHAOS66
Quote from: Rycerz on December 29, 2007, 09:32:08 PM
Surprisingly, that is my exact standpoint as a Catholic as well. However, I tend to entirely lose faith at times. Why should we take the scribbles of ancient men as the word of God? And then there are all of these practices the Roman Catholic Church tries to enforce that really have no solid foundation to begin with.

Yeah same here, and if "God" created everything why are there gay people, why is there hate, why are there wars, why is there illness, why would "He" allow technology to be turned into killing machines?

Please don't say free will, since "God" is perfect he would've known it would be best to stop it. Also no heaven in clouds lawlz

Det in F♯ Major

Quote from: CHAOS66 on September 05, 2008, 07:34:33 PM
Yeah same here, and if "God" created everything why are there gay people, why is there hate, why are there wars, why is there illness, why would "He" allow technology to be turned into killing machines?

Please don't say free will, since "God" is perfect he would've known it would be best to stop it. Also no heaven in clouds lawlz

he created temptation. he wants to weed out everyone who gives into it. we're only human, you know. ;)
Quote from: Khadafi on February 02, 2011, 03:17:34 PM
BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW

Daddy

Quote from: Det. ;] on September 06, 2008, 06:43:07 PM
he created temptation. he wants to weed out everyone who gives into it. we're only human, you know. ;)
...but lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil*. :'(

*rapture in 2 millenia or it's on us

Almighty Wyld Wrath

I used to.  Then I become agnostic.

Then I became "Spiritual but in a generic and vague sort of way"

Then I became agnostic again because it was easier than explaining  my religious beliefs.
Boring Children Can Be Helped.

By Someone Else.

Staplerlock

I dunno. I'm young as of now, so faith confuses me for some reason. I'm forced to go to church on some occasions, but I'm an agnostic right now.

When it comes to religion, I always find it funny having people fighting over a way of life that's supposed to make you happier.

Beta

The bible has been rewritten countless times. It's like a game of telephone.

brittany

I don't believe it makes you any less of a Christian, or a bad Christian. I believe that God gave us free will for a reason.. if he wanted us to follow him blindly and without question, or at least curiousity, then he would have just programmed us all to be identical slaves of one religion. As far as the whole evolution thing goes.. for the longest time, I just believed that the world was created in seven days, and renounced any idea that evolution took place. As I've gotten older and have grown in my own faith, I've come to a few possible alternative conclusions.. one of which is, who is to say that they aren't both correct? What I mean is, yes the bible says that God created the world and all creatures in it in seven days.. but the bible also says that to God, a thousand years pass in the blink of an eye. How many blinks does he have to blink to equal a day to Him? I mean, the scientific proof is undeniable... creatures evolved, the earth has gone through many, many changes, its right there in front of our faces, in bones and black and white. Also, to people of faith, the evidence of God is undeniable. I just believe that God created the world in seven of HIS days... not ours. According to the Bible, His days are a little longer than our standard 24 hour time. Also, people who state the earth is only a few thousand years old base their claims off of years in the bible, through all the fathers and sons and years they lived, etc etc... but it goes back to this whole "years" and "days" thing. Who created our 365 day calendar? The mayans. Were the mayans around telling time back then? I don't think so. How did biblical-era calendars work? What was their system of keeping track of it all? Does anyone actually know? Oh I could go on and on about my opinions for days.. but I'm done now. I'm not a preacher and this isn't church.. peace out, ladies and gentlemen. 

PuuMastaFunk

(To answer some of the more prominent questions/statements.)

Quote from: guff on December 30, 2007, 03:57:16 PM
how do you distinguish between the two

You have to figure that out for yourself. Or, atleast, if you don't feel like going to church or researching it online or somewhere they actually draw out the entire Bible.

Quote from: coz on December 30, 2007, 09:19:28 PM
There's some things that are too stupid to be something God made.

Like smiting fags.

That, actually, is not in the Bible. It says (don't quote me on it, I don't know exactly how it's scriptured, or where...) "Man shall not lie with man". It does NOT say to kill gays. We're not even supposed to even raise a fist to people, unless we are either in war or our life is otherwise at stake.

Quote from: C-Note on January 04, 2008, 07:25:49 PM
I've read most of it. It isn't a foreshadowing of the end though. It is merely John writing about the Christians being executed by Nero(666)

Revelations is quite literal about it's reading, atleast about the Judgements of the Seals, the Trumpets, and the Vials. Four horses, symbolizing the Anti-Christ, World War III, and the following famines and plagues. There will also be a mass martyrdom of saints (about 144,000 people), followed by a large earthquake that will shake the Earth from its foundation, followed by a silence in the heavens for an hour and a half. And that's the the Seals. The horses are the only symbols in Revelations for the first several chapters.

(More later.)

guff

Quote from: PuuMastaFunk on June 02, 2009, 08:59:39 AM
That, actually, is not in the Bible. It says (don't quote me on it, I don't know exactly how it's scriptured, or where...) "Man shall not lie with man". It does NOT say to kill gays. We're not even supposed to even raise a fist to people, unless we are either in war or our life is otherwise at stake.
uh what
Quote from: KJV leviticus 20:13If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them.

PuuMastaFunk

Spiritual death.

QuoteRomans 6:23

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God in eternal life is Jesus Christ our Lord.

When it says they 'shall surely be put to death', it does not mean someone's gonna kill them. If they will 'surely' die, they will suffer a spiritual death.

Or, as Christianity so bluntly puts it, hell.

No one's going to care if you kill a gay man (unless it's considered a hate crime), just like no one will care if you let them live. It's what's going to happen AFTER they die physically.

guff

Quote from: PuuMastaFunk on June 02, 2009, 11:48:50 AM
Spiritual death.

When it says they 'shall surely be put to death', it does not mean someone's gonna kill them. If they will 'surely' die, they will suffer a spiritual death.
that's your interpretation
there's no indication that the language in the old testament refers to anything but execution

at best, romans 6:23 is a retcon when applied to the old testament akudood;

Daddy

Quote from: PuuMastaFunk on June 02, 2009, 11:48:50 AM
Spiritual death.
I like how metaphors are mysteriously drawn to cover up bigotry.
was jesus spiritually risen.
was the red sea spiritually parted.
did god say for rape victims to spiritually marry their rapists?

QuoteWhen it says they 'shall surely be put to death', it does not mean someone's gonna kill them. If they will 'surely' die, they will suffer a spiritual death.

Or, as Christianity so bluntly puts it, hell.
where does it say that surely means hell

QuoteNo one's going to care if you kill a gay man (unless it's considered a hate crime), just like no one will care if you let them live. It's what's going to happen AFTER they die physically.
i think the jury might care if you kill a gay man.

guff

the bible is the LITERAL WORD OF GOD THE POWER OF GOD

except for this part and this one and this one  akudood;

PuuMastaFunk

Wow, you atheists really ARE good at twisting people's words to make them seem like we're the big, bad boogeyman and you unbelieving sonsabitches are the holy ones.

Daddy

Quote from: PuuMastaFunk on June 04, 2009, 02:20:12 PM
Wow, you atheists really ARE good at twisting people's words to make them seem like we're the big, bad boogeyman and you unbelieving sonsabitches are the holy ones.
They are metaphors.

Go Up