April 23, 2024, 06:32:00 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

A Million Little Pieces

Started by Daddy, May 10, 2007, 07:22:23 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Daddy

My teacher assigned this book a few weeks ago.  I decided to actually read it today.    It's a good book but I do have a few problems with it.

James Frey sucks at writing.    I'm not sure if the many grammatical errors are intentional, but they are annoying the fuck out of me.

There were several instances where he didn't use a comma where it should have been used.   He constantly capitalized random words in the middle of a sentence; my English teacher said that may have been intentional, with Frey capitalizing words of significance( Job, System, Drugs, ect.).  One example of this is on page 352 where he says, "We walk outside to the Van, which is waiting at the Curb.  He gets in the Driver's seat...." A few lines later he says, "There is scrawled graffiti everywhere, most of it illegible, and there are piles of garbage on what used to be Lawns."  There are also a  lot of run on sentences in the story.   

I like the book, but the grammatical errors bother me.

Daddy

C.Mongler

squirrelfriend

i would have thought this was written by lawlz with the grammar nazi rambling

Daddy

I've become this man. I randomly capitalize random nouns for whatever reason.

C.Mongler

i solve that by never capitalizing anything

Daddy

Quote from: C.Mongler on April 06, 2016, 07:18:13 AM
i solve that by never capitalizing anything
that hs pretty much become the underpinning of a good shitpost my man

and if you forget a letter like i did in the word has? just leave it

C.Mongler

yeah when there's lots of red squiggles under my words i take it as a sign of a good post incomin ya know

Go Up