April 17, 2024, 08:06:13 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Clones.

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, December 15, 2007, 12:19:22 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

I recently saw this (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071212/sc_afp/healthscienceskoreacloning), and decided to make a thread about cloning. How do you feel about it? Should cloning humans or any other living things be legal? If it is, would cloning a person/animal just for its organs so that the person it was cloned from could live, would that be okay or not? befuddlement

musica.cards

That would be a waste of time and resources if the only purpose for the clone is for the organs.
[move]gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby [/move]

Infel

Well, in recent news, some Koreans genetically modified cat sperm cells with Bacteria or something, and implanted it into a mother cat. The cat gave birth to kittens, which, when exposed to ultraviolet rays, will GLOW IN THE DARK.

musica.cards

And how is that bad? The person who did that got into trouble because of that.
[move]gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby [/move]

Daddy

maybe it will be like star wars where they clone a bunch of jango fetts and make an army and make a single clone normal and that iwll be boba fett :D :D :D

If it improves our lives, cloning a person to create an embryo and obtain stem cells is fine.

Selkie

No, that would just have drastically bad results.

You clone someone for a heart. Alright, so what happens to this person? He knows he is alive and is perfectly conscious with what is going on. "Uhh, hey, soo we need your heart for this other guy, k?" Would that go over well?

Also, even if it wasn't a vital organ, What would we do with them when the organ is taken? Throw them into a garbage disposal chute? We can't keep them alive, because then it would cause turmoil having two of someone running around.

musica.cards

Quote from: Selkie on December 15, 2007, 06:13:10 PM
No, that would just have drastically bad results.

You clone someone for a heart. Alright, so what happens to this person? He knows he is alive and is perfectly conscious with what is going on. "Uhh, hey, soo we need your heart for this other guy, k?" Would that go over well?

Also, even if it wasn't a vital organ, What would we do with them when the organ is taken? Throw them into a garbage disposal chute? We can't keep them alive, because then it would cause turmoil having two of someone running around.

That's exactly what I'm saying! But what about cloning the organs themselves?

Daddy

Quote from: some_person on December 15, 2007, 06:27:59 PM
That's exactly what I'm saying! But what about cloning the organs themselves?
It would require creating a cloned embryo to create stem cells.

Infel

Stem Cell research just took a different route. They're making those fucked up cells of whatever they need by morphing live people's skin cells and shit.

musica.cards

Now why does an embryo need to be created to get stem cells?

guff

Quote from: some_person on December 21, 2007, 10:08:10 AM
Now why does an embryo need to be created to get stem cells?
because embryos make stem cells and it's kind of hard to make them out of magic but a lot of people think that one thing that some scientists people did recently what with making other cells like stem cells or something is pretty cool and might hold promise but at this point isn't perfected nor has it been researched all that well

musica.cards

Quote from: Commodore Guff on December 21, 2007, 04:01:31 PM
because embryos make stem cells and it's kind of hard to make them out of magic but a lot of people think that one thing that some scientists people did recently what with making other cells like stem cells or something is pretty cool and might hold promise but at this point isn't perfected nor has it been researched all that well

What about those adult stem cells I keep hearing about?

guff

Quote from: some_person on December 21, 2007, 04:03:34 PM
What about those adult stem cells I keep hearing about?
not as versatile, in that embryonic stem cells am able to become just about anything so that's pretty cool but they're jacks of all trades whereas adult stem cells am be masters of one or maybe two or three but mostly just limited to differentiating into relatively specific types of cells i.e. hi i'm a adult stem cell but that's a silly name because i haven't done anything with my life yet hold on a sec okay back now i'm a smell cell thing but i wanted to be a astronaut cell but i couldn't my parents lied to me but what else is new

but anyways i lost track of where i was going with this but the point is that adult stem cells are limited to becoming specific types of cells and there aren't necessarily adult stem cells for every single type of cell one might need

musica.cards

So then couldn't you just take adult stem cells from different organs and just work with that?

guff

Quote from: some_person on December 21, 2007, 09:30:43 PM
So then couldn't you just take adult stem cells from different organs and just work with that?
Quote from: Commodore Guff on December 21, 2007, 04:10:08 PM
...there aren't necessarily adult stem cells for every single type of cell one might need

even then, going on a scavenger hunt for the right adult stem cell isn't as easy as just making the personalized cell factory that people am hoping stem cells could make

Go Up