April 19, 2024, 11:29:30 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Recently purchased, played & beaten

Started by reeper, November 08, 2007, 01:43:56 AM

previous topic - next topic

YPrrrr

Quote from: 6M69I69B9 on May 22, 2019, 12:34:01 AM
Quote from: YPrrrr on May 14, 2019, 08:44:36 AMI am playing smash with a guy that hosts a weekly tournament this week and I am so worried he's going to blast me lol

how did that go
never ended up doing it because his bandmates showed up the next week and they were all hanging so I never ended up getting to play him

Oh well. I should play YOU sometime but I'm pretty sure based off your Luigi vids you'd crush me haha

6M69I69B9

Quote from: YPrrrr on May 22, 2019, 10:18:32 AM
Quote from: 6M69I69B9 on May 22, 2019, 12:34:01 AM
Quote from: YPrrrr on May 14, 2019, 08:44:36 AMI am playing smash with a guy that hosts a weekly tournament this week and I am so worried he's going to blast me lol

how did that go
never ended up doing it because his bandmates showed up the next week and they were all hanging so I never ended up getting to play him

Oh well. I should play YOU sometime but I'm pretty sure based off your Luigi vids you'd crush me haha

I'm down lol.

Also I'm in a local down in Chicago ATM, LMAO almost won my first round.  Luigi won against ZSS, then had a last stock last hit match with Roy against my DH and lost.  Then lost as DH against ZSS.

Loser's now.  I think the more formidable go against the lower seeded. 
Quote from: Travis on April 03, 2015, 10:52:52 PM
gotta eat the booty like groceries

Quote from: Travis on March 01, 2018, 08:44:39 PM
Quote from: reefer on March 01, 2018, 06:15:08 PM
Technology and globalism go hand and hand. If you want to be on the forefront of technology then you gotta be global

the earth is flat you globecuck

Samus Aran

gonna spend today playing the original Half-Life for the first time wrench;

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Quote from: Samus Aran on May 24, 2019, 04:55:53 PMgonna spend today playing the original Half-Life for the first time wrench;
idk if you'll have this experience but i think pc games age like milk but hope u have fun!!

Thyme

Quote from: Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo on May 24, 2019, 05:08:51 PM
Quote from: Samus Aran on May 24, 2019, 04:55:53 PMgonna spend today playing the original Half-Life for the first time wrench;
idk if you'll have this experience but i think pc games age like milk but hope u have fun!!

same, i played it for the first time like 6 years ago and i didn't appreciate my experience tbh

AAAAAAAA

Samus Aran

Quote from: SloppyJimbo on May 24, 2019, 09:29:34 PMPlay Black Mesa instead?

a couple other people told me the same thing. i'll play black mesa at some point if i feel like replaying this game. but the age of this is not really bothering me at all so far. pretty much my only issue with the "age" of the game is that the platforming (when it happens) is really clunky and sometimes kind of frustrating lol

but like otherwise i'm enjoying it

C.Mongler

I started playing Yooka Laylee for some reason. It's...okay??? Idk lol. The worlds are fucking gigantic (im assuming because theres only like 6 of them?) and not in a good way. I've had a hard time remembering the layouts of the only world ive visited thus far because there's only like 1 notable landmark and then acres and acres of sameness. then everything in the game is just like HEY REMEMBER BANJO, WELL THIS IS LIKE THAT, BUT SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT? like all your favorite characters and gameplay mechanics and tropes return, but it's all just an alternate bizarre version. it's fucking weird, maybe a little nostalgic, but mostly feels uninspired.

oh and the camera is absolute DOG SHIT. like i would forgive this game a lot more if i wasn't constantly fighting with the camera. the option to go full manual cam is there, but i'm unsure of if it would help.

it's not bad per say, but it's also not great. i'm considering dumping it an playing Conker's Bad Fur Day on my xbox instead tbh lmao, but i paid money for this shit so i might as well

AAAAAAAA

Yooka is so weird. It's so genuinely a N64 experience, in both good and bad ways.

C.Mongler

Yeah, that's why it's hard for me to like actually say it's bad. It is exactly what they set out to make, an character-focused, n64-collectathon style game, warts and all. 

Mostly I just wish there was a map or something if they were gonna make the levels so fucking big without a defining central navigation point, like Clanker in Clanker's Cavern, the snowman in Freezeezy Peak, the haunted house in Mad Monster Mansion, etc. etc.. Maybe the other levels are better but I've been constantly lost in the first world lol

Nyerp

rented and sped through shadow of the tomb raider. don't play it.

strongbad

Quote from: Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo on May 24, 2019, 05:08:51 PM
if you'll have this experience but i think pc games age like milk but hope u have fun!!
yup

Samus Aran

i finished half-life this morning.

time and time again, i seem to be immune to games "aging poorly." because it's kind of a fantastic game. the story, level design/setpieces, and overall atmosphere are all top-notch. graphically, it's fine. it gets the job done. the sound design is pretty fucking fantastic, with just one caveat: voices. they all sound like they were recorded through a potato. i'm not sure whether i should chalk this up to the game's age or not. the voice acting itself is fine too, although g-man's final dialogue is a bit...weird? not the voice i expected him to have at all lmao.

the only major problem this game has is that it has WAY too much platforming for an FPS, let alone one with such sensitive, slippery movement. said movement feels perfect when your feet stay on the ground, but the second you try to platform, you're slipping off shit and dying constantly. so i saved constantly to minimize how much i had to re-attempt whenever it came time to try to jump around. and it's pretty fucking awkward how you often have to jump and "duck" in mid-air to clear something that's slightly too tall for a normal jump. this is weirdly inventive of them, as it's basically a coil jump, like freeman pulling his legs up so he can better clear an obstacle. but this ain't mirror's edge. it's in no way intuitive lol

honestly if it had way less platforming this game would be so fucking phenomenal overall. well and maybe if the final boss was an actual boss. or if you have to have a boss that just stays in one spot shooting easily-avoidable balls of energy at you, at least make the scene feel more important to the story?

anyway yeah 16 hours well-spent, and i can finally say that yes i've played half-life. not sure if i want to do the expansions right now or not.

darksouls

May 28, 2019, 08:19:01 PM #20893 Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 08:34:49 PM by darksouls
Half Life is so fucking good. Play the Blue Shift and Opposing Forces too, they are incredibly fun and tell the stories from different perspectives.

Also you guys really feel like it aged like milk? I never heard anyone say that before. I guess some of the 3D models look dated, but they don't look bad and game play is great.

::EDIT::

Also you did the right thing playing the original over the Black Mesa remake. The original has a special charm. (Not that the remake is bad just the original game is better.)

TooB

Quote from: C.Mongler on May 28, 2019, 10:55:57 AMYeah, that's why it's hard for me to like actually say it's bad. It is exactly what they set out to make, an character-focused, n64-collectathon style game, warts and all.

Mostly I just wish there was a map or something if they were gonna make the levels so fucking big without a defining central navigation point, like Clanker in Clanker's Cavern, the snowman in Freezeezy Peak, the haunted house in Mad Monster Mansion, etc. etc.. Maybe the other levels are better but I've been constantly lost in the first world lol

Tbh, I felt pretty much similarly about Tooie

Go Up