March 28, 2024, 05:25:25 PM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Recently purchased, played & beaten

Started by reeper, November 08, 2007, 01:43:56 AM

previous topic - next topic

TooB

Quote from: Nyerp on December 14, 2018, 11:13:19 PMthe rest of the game is either a cheap imitation of South Park at its best or a 2001 version of Epic Movie at its worst

That sucks

Sorry brah

Nyerp

Samus Aran

Quote from: Nyerp on December 11, 2018, 01:46:39 AMbeat doom (2016)

what did u think of it???

Quote from: Nyerp on December 13, 2018, 11:25:26 PMconker's bad fur day is my least favorite video game

there are really only certain parts of that game i like, namely parts of the spooky and war chapters

everything up to that is pretty mediocre

i think my real problem with conker overall is that, when you take away the humor (when it works, at least, which even then is only sometimes), you're kind of left with some pretty bland gameplay and not a whole lot of cohesion

it's a game that i...appreciate? i guess? but not so much enjoy all that much

TooB

Nyerp

December 15, 2018, 12:11:16 AM #20659 Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 12:14:27 AM by Nyerp
Quote from: Samus Aran on December 14, 2018, 11:47:56 PMwhat did u think of it???

it was fun, i liked it!

Quote from: Samus Aran on December 14, 2018, 11:47:56 PMthere are really only certain parts of that game i like, namely parts of the spooky and war chapters

everything up to that is pretty mediocre

i think my real problem with conker overall is that, when you take away the humor (when it works, at least, which even then is only sometimes), you're kind of left with some pretty bland gameplay and not a whole lot of cohesion

it's a game that i...appreciate? i guess? but not so much enjoy all that much

that's funny because the war section of the game is what basically cemented me kind of hating it. the humor stops dead in its tracks and it devolves into a series of gameplay sequences that i loathed. using guns in this game felt like shit, frankly, and the entire countdown sequence had me frustrated beyond belief. i'd take the hyper-bland platforming of the earlier parts of the game over that segment any day.

i also kind of appreciate the game for attempting to be a comedy game that isn't just another point-and-click adventure, but the style of "comedy" that conker uses just isn't for me. i'd love to see another game like this that parodies gaming conventions across multiple genres and nails the gameplay of each, but this just ain't it.

TooB

It's definitely a product of its time and I feel like the people who still like it have a large affection of that era (not all necessarily) and fond memories of the game itself.

Rose-colored glasses and all.

Problem is, I'm the kind of guy that loves even some bad games, some real stinkers. Even though I don't believe Conker to be "bad," I'm well aware it aged pretty badly.

Nyerp

Quote from: TooB on December 15, 2018, 12:16:16 AMIt's definitely a product of its time and I feel like the people who still like it have a large affection of that era (not all necessarily) and fond memories of the game itself.

Problem is, I'm the kind of guy that loves even some bad games, some real stinkers. Even though I don't believe Conker to be "bad," I'm well aware it aged pretty badly.

i wouldn't even call the game "bad," honestly. it's in an awkward zone for me where i recognize that it's a technically impressive game for the n64, and the sheer variety of the things you do in the game usually kept me from getting annoyed or wanting to drop it. but so much of the experience just felt "off" to the point that the game's generally positive reputation is kind of bewildering to me so i was trying to poke and prod you for a response lol

TooB

Quote from: Nyerp on December 15, 2018, 12:30:29 AM
Quote from: TooB on December 15, 2018, 12:16:16 AMIt's definitely a product of its time and I feel like the people who still like it have a large affection of that era (not all necessarily) and fond memories of the game itself.

i wouldn't even call the game "bad," honestly. it's in an awkward zone for me where i recognize that it's a technically impressive game for the n64, and the sheer variety of the things you do in the game usually kept me from getting annoyed or wanting to drop it. but so much of the experience just felt "off" to the point that the game's generally positive reputation is kind of bewildering to me so i was trying to poke and prod you for a response lol

damn.... i feel baited y/n

Nyerp

TooB

strongbad

No boyager cares but I started playing DCSS again

Really wish there was a good Android port. Since I've already beaten the game with a melee character (considered easiest) with only 3 runes (bare minimum to beat the game, you could explore every branch and get up to 15 runes) itd be cool to win on my favorite race class combo: tengu summoner

Tengus are sick because they can fly permanently at level 14 for more speed and they have decent proficiency in polearms and casting, which is tight because I can summoner monsters in front of me and then reach over them with my spear or whatever to hit enemies. Tengus are limited with their armor choices tho so Im usually really squishy unless I get insane RNG. But they have good evasion so I can always focus on that. I've had a couple good runs since I last got re-into it but haven't had a single rune lol

DCSS is tight

bluaki

Today I 100%ed Kirby Star Allies, or at least I consider it 100% when I completed all the puzzle piece pictures.

The game marked my file as 100% a couple weeks ago when I cleared the boss rush at the highest difficulty, after I already cleared Adventure mode and every other mode, but I went back for this. There's a "Guest Star ???? Star Allies Go!" mode that has you play a bunch of stages as all the other characters besides Kirby, but I originally only cleared it with one character, so I collected more puzzle pieces by running through it with all the special "Dream Friends" like Meta Knight, Marx, Adeleine, etc. There's 13 of them and each took on average just over an hour, and clearing them all was just enough to collect all the puzzle pieces for me (it's sorta RNG based though). It's somewhat repetitive, but they all at least have some unique stages mixed in there.

The game actually marks which characters I cleared it with, so I guess you could say full completion requires playing with all 24 of the regular allies too, but I absolutely don't care enough for that, not to mention none of them have unique levels (all identical) and they each take much longer to complete (more like 1h40m on average) than the dream friends.

Thyme

"hey what's the last game you beat in 2018"

fuckin......... universal paperclips lmao

AAAAAAAA

Blu, how did you feel about the Kirby game overall? I'm kinda tempted to get it, as I haven't played a new Kirby in forever.

bluaki

Quote from: SloppyJimbo on January 01, 2019, 04:55:07 PMBlu, how did you feel about the Kirby game overall? I'm kinda tempted to get it, as I haven't played a new Kirby in forever.
It was underwhelming at launch, but after the post-release free updates it's pretty good.

Still, I think I'd say Planet Robobot (3DS) is my favorite Kirby game, closely followed by Triple Deluxe (3DS) and Super Star (DS/SNES). I'd rank Star Allies fairly high, but not in the top three, and it's $60 price tag is higher too. I think you can get Robobot for like $20 right now. Star Allies in particular is a lot easier to appreciate for people who played a lot of the Kirby games, as its dream friends are filled with references to all the past main Kirby games.

I'd consider the latest 4 main Kirby games (Wii, Triple Deluxe, Robobot, Star Allies) part of a Modern Kirby subseries that all play and look very similar (and are all directed by Kumazaki). Some people who are used to the older games won't really like any of them, especially people who want another Kirby 64 because really nothing is like that game, though Star Allies at least reintroduces a different kind of combined copy abilities.

Go Up