April 28, 2024, 06:12:43 AM

1,531,646 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Recently purchased, played & beaten

Started by reeper, November 08, 2007, 01:43:56 AM

previous topic - next topic

Nyerp

okay i've beaten 5 stages now but tornado man's stage is still garbage akudood;

TooB

Samus Aran

the only stage i don't really like in that game is jewel man's, because of that one jump off the swinging platform that's a rookie death trap. and even when you know about it, it's still really easy to fuck it up and graze the spikes and die. pretty bullshit tbh.

that's the only thing i don't really like about 9 - it's a big fan of cheap environmental deathtraps. aside from that, it's honestly one of my favorites. killer soundtrack, solid level design (aside from what i mentioned), robot masters that mostly don't suck (i say mostly because jewel man is dumb as hell) with abilities that are thankfully mostly not just retreads of previous games (again mostly because fucking jewel man lmao). i don't know. i can totally understand someone hating the difficulty of 9, but there's a lot more to that game and it's fucking great.

TooB

June 07, 2018, 02:29:24 AM #20298 Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 02:35:11 AM by Big Goop
i still believe 1-3 are harder

9, just like nearly any other MM game, shows you its tricks and traps before it springs the actual challenges at you.
I don't find it cheap at all, even the aforementioned pendulum part.

You want an example of difficult and arguably cheap? MM2 Heat Man blind lava jumps, without item #2, and the Wily boss that's just orbs on the wall.

C.Mongler

i'm replaying Rondo of Blood (well, Dracula X Chronicles more specifically) as john triggered me about its difficulty and as I remembered the game is a lot more bearable than the SNES Dracula X, since there's basically been zero death pit platforming sections so far, but holy shit level 5 is aggravating me to no end

[youtube]MvVg-bX5RPc[/youtube]

there's a ton of flying shit with goofy ass movement and hit boxes throughout the level, but specifically the god damn picture frame at 2:25, which if it hits you is a fucking INSTA KILL is the dumbest shit this game has. it doesn't help that the thing moves so fucking randomly that you can get touched by it even if you're playing it carefully as you possibly can.

also the boss of this level is like the hardest one in the whole game, so if you fuck up and lose too many lives on a GOD DAMN PICTURE you r gonna have a bad time with him

took me like 3 tries to beat this level but i finally did, woof. i could switch to Maria who IMO makes the game a shit ton easier but im a MAN dammit

Nyerp

there's a painting in the new 8-bit bloodstained game that does the same thing lmao

Quote from: Rin Hoshizora on June 07, 2018, 01:47:25 AM
the only stage i don't really like in that game is jewel man's, because of that one jump off the swinging platform that's a rookie death trap. and even when you know about it, it's still really easy to fuck it up and graze the spikes and die. pretty bullshit tbh.

this applies to like 3 separate moments in that level so you'll have to specify akudood;

tbh the levels are tolerable once you've memorized all the little bullshit traps, but it feels impossible to enjoy them the first like 5 times you try them

there's the grabby guy in galaxy man's stage who drops you over a pit of spikes which will kill you unless you're holding right

there's the flying scissors in hornet man's stage that appear so suddenly that you have to memorize them

there's the fucking things that jump out of the pits in concrete & jewel man's stages that WILL kill you on your first try

there's all the tiny different timing challenges to memorize with the rotating platforms in tornado man's stage, with every failure meaning death

there's the 7000 disappearing blocks to memorize in plug man's stage etc. etc.

either i'm just sick of mega man and everything bothers me now (probably true) or there's an overabundance of stuff like this in the game. you say this game is supposed to be an "homage" to mega man 2, but i'm scanning back through those levels and most of them are relatively pretty simple and free of bullshit. it's like inti creates just played quick man's and heat man's stages and said "let's make THE WHOLE GAME like that."

TooB

again, all those examples are obstacles shown to you first so you see what's going on.

bullshit cheap, and just hard are two very different things, and I feel you're mixing the 2
-The pendulums - you platform on like, 3 or 4 of them before the tough jump with spikes on the walls, you should know how the momentum works
-the grabby guy - 1 grabs you and drags you completely free of danger, so the game is telling you, hey, this is something to look out for
-the scissor guys - when they come into screen, they don't immediately go straight for you, you have time to react and dodge, or shoot
- the pit enemies - don't really have an argument for that, it's a very classic MM trap, since the beginning
- the disappearing blocks - I still say Heat Man's was worse, and this is also in every other game

to be clear, I'm not trying to invalidate your criticisms, but I simply wanted to provide my arguments as to why I believe it's not BS.

take it or leave it

Nyerp

thanks to the power of buying e-tanks in the shop, i was able to complete mega man 9

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Nyerp on February 07, 2018, 04:52:48 PM
beat horizon: zero dawn (but not dlc)

please shoot me if i try to start another open world game within the next 4 months

Thoughts? y/n

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Nyerp on March 23, 2018, 11:10:27 PM
wii shop channel is shutting off the ability to purchase points in 2 days

sh!t, in my depressive stupor i totally missed out on buying a few games that were exclusive to the wii sh!t channel

like that castlevania title that i guess now i'll have to pirate

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: antmaster5000 on March 27, 2018, 10:56:28 PM
Quote from: Rin Hoshizora on March 27, 2018, 05:14:47 PM
eBay has yet another coupon today. So I bought the Salamander Deluxe Pack on Saturn

DUDE that is literally the only reason i want a saturn lol

the only reason i'd want a saturn is for the panzer dragoon series :'(

it's a shame that that's a particularly difficult console to emulate because it has like 11 cpus lol

Thyme

so uh breath of the wild is pretty great

i'm hooked rn

Kalahari Inkantation

man do i have some mixed feelings about that game smth;

Nyerp

Quote from: Magyarorszag on June 16, 2018, 07:40:38 AM
Quote from: Nyerp on February 07, 2018, 04:52:48 PM
beat horizon: zero dawn (but not dlc)

please shoot me if i try to start another open world game within the next 4 months

Thoughts? y/n

fighting the robodinos is pretty fun at first but gets old after a while
visuals are good
story and characters are whatever
7/10 it's fine

TooB

Go Up