April 24, 2024, 02:56:51 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Do you Belive in Global Warming?

Started by ZGDK, October 07, 2007, 03:32:34 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Sam

Quote from: JMV290 on October 10, 2007, 10:08:54 PM
Within the next century, using some estimates, within a few decades using others.

And not in the near distance at all, according to others.

Can't just leave that out, JMV.
1.8mb is too huge for a sig nigga

Daddy

Quote from: samsam on October 23, 2007, 05:13:48 PM
And not in the near distance at all, according to others.

Can't just leave that out, JMV.
lol ask YPR about how I feel about Christian sources.  caterpie;

YPrrrr

Quote from: JMV290 on October 23, 2007, 05:25:22 PM
He doesn't hold them credible unless they're midieval monks pseudo;

Sam

Quote from: JMV290 on October 23, 2007, 05:25:22 PM

..Who says I'm talking about christian sources?

BTW- I'm fucking pissed that Al Gore got a Nobel Peace Prize, I think we all know by now that he's a hypocrite, no matter how you look at it.
He seems to think it's okay to own mansions across the world as long as he pays off his debt in cash. Of course, no sacrafice on his part, other than part of the excess cash that he got from his "An Inconvenient Half-Truth", meanwhile he expects those of us who can't afford to pay to cover ourselves up to just sacrafice things all together. So, that's about 99% of the world, I'd say.

He should sacrafice like the rest of us if he cares that much, and then maybe he can put his extra money into cleaning up after the jerk-wads who wont (i.e.- me) sacrafice their stuff for something they won't believe in.

YPrrrr

So can someone list off the most drastic foreseeable effects of Global Warming for me, just so I'm clear?

Daddy

Quote from: Your Posting Rival on October 23, 2007, 05:40:55 PM
Quick question relating to global warming...

When ice melts in a glass of water, does the water rise?
I know what you're getting at.
The water level in the cup would remain the same, because although the ice cube displaces a certain amount of water, causing the water level to rise, the water from the melting ice no longer displaces the water in the cup, but it does add water to the cup.   It's the total weight of the ice cube that causes the water level to rise, and the melted ice and the solid ice have the same mass, so the water level stays the same.

But you're not thinking about the ice caps properly.  You're thinking about icebergs melting, which wouldn't change the amount of water in the ocean.  But not all of the ice is already in the water.  The ice in the antarctic, for example, is on land, on the continent of Antarctica, so it's not displacing any water, but once it melts it goes into the ocean THEN the water levels rise.

Daddy

Quote from: Your Posting Rival on October 23, 2007, 05:50:53 PM
So can someone list off the most drastic foreseeable effects of Global Warming for me, just so I'm clear?

There are a few possibilities

1)Runaway greenhouse effect, resulting in something similar to Venus.
2)Currents being screwed up resulting in another ice age.
3)Crazy ass hurricanes and other odd weather patterns

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Your Posting Rival on October 23, 2007, 05:50:53 PM
Well some current problems linked to global warming are glaciers melting at an accelerated rate, (possible) extinction of polar bears in their natural habitat, drastic changes in weather (exorbitant amount of droughts or floods, severity of hurricanes, other crazy shit), increase in average global temperature (!!), etc. Stuff that will only become progressively worse.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

YPrrrr

Quote from: JMV290 on October 23, 2007, 05:58:10 PM
I know what you're getting at.
The water level in the cup would remain the same, because although the ice cube displaces a certain amount of water, causing the water level to rise, the water from the melting ice no longer displaces the water in the cup, but it does add water to the cup.   It's the total weight of the ice cube that causes the water level to rise, and the melted ice and the solid ice have the same mass, so the water level stays the same.

But you're not thinking about the ice caps properly.  You're thinking about icebergs melting, which wouldn't change the amount of water in the ocean.  But not all of the ice is already in the water.  The ice in the antarctic, for example, is on land, on the continent of Antarctica, so it's not displacing any water, but once it melts it goes into the ocean THEN the water levels rise.
Yeah, I deleted it because I found your answer on google

I've been thinking on how to just solve the sea level problem... one step at a time you know, and also because im bored - The only solution I've got so far: build giant silos along the coast to contain the water, and water pumps to account for evaporation... there's gotta be something wrong with this plan though

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Your Posting Rival on October 23, 2007, 06:03:55 PM

I've been thinking on how to just solve the sea level problem... one step at a time you know, and also because im bored - The only solution I've got so far: build giant silos along the coast to contain the water, and water pumps to account for evaporation... there's gotta be something wrong with this plan though
That that's a shitload to build and the manufacturing process would only contribute to global warming? caterpie;

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

YPrrrr

Quote from: Lawlz on October 23, 2007, 06:05:10 PM
That that's a shitload to build and the manufacturing process would only contribute to global warming? caterpie;
Yes, but it would solve the water problem caterpie;

Another idea: Enslave Al Gore to figure it out, and scrap his jets and mansions for parts pseudo;

Daddy

Quote from: Your Posting Rival on October 23, 2007, 06:03:55 PM

Because removing water from the water cycle wouldn't have any serious consequences?

guff

October 31, 2007, 12:57:54 PM #57 Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 01:14:12 PM by Commodore Guff
Quote from: samsam on October 23, 2007, 05:36:17 PM
BTW- I'm fucking pissed that Al Gore got a Nobel Peace Prize, I think we all know by now that he's a hypocrite, no matter how you look at it.
A lot of people are fucking pissed.  I myself am fucking pissed that you're fucking pissed over fucking piss fuck piss fucking.

what does al gore have to do with the truth concerning global warming, anyways  psyduck;
if a convicted murderer tells me that murder is wrong would his statement be invalid and would i be fucking pissed
He seems to think it's okay to own mansions across the world as long as he pays off his debt in cash.
Maybe he does, but last I checked he's only got a condo in San Fransisco, a mansion in Nashville, and a farm in Carthage, Tennessee.
though i suppose your world might be that small
dunno
Of course, no sacrafice on his part...
other than purchasing green energy (the amount he purchased has been claimed to be equivalent to the impact of recycling, say, 2.5 million aluminum cans), which brought his electric bills up 50%
oh and he likes carbon offsetting
other than part of the excess cash that he got from his "An Inconvenient Half-Truth"
how much did he get from that
...meanwhile he expects those of us who can't afford to pay to cover ourselves up to just sacrafice things all together. So, that's about 99% of the world, I'd say.
when has he urged the poor to do such things? psyduck;
i don't remember that part in the movie (though, to be fair, i haven't seen it. sounds boring. this brings up another point: have you seen it?
i think i should close my parentheses now)
He should sacrafice like the rest of us if he cares that much
you just said most of the rest of the world can't afford to, which implies they won't "sacrafice" (god damn there's only one 'a') at all, which seems to put him in the same situation in which you currently perceive him to be
...sacrafice their stuff for something they won't believe in.
just because it's inconvenient doesn't mean it's not true

lol

ps- the conservative think tank that initially made the claims of his rampant energy said he used 221,000 kwh in 2006; they claimed to have received that number from Nashville Electric Service
subsequent investigations by the AP revealed that 191,000 kwh were used (30,000 less), and that NEC never gave aforementioned think tank those numbers

pps- he has installed solar panels on his nashville mansion
previously, zoning rules prevented the installation of solar panels, and even now, they must not be visible from the street or surrounding property, which kind of makes it a tad more difficult

ppps- you're fucking retarded psyduck;

oh and most of the claims made in this post can be found here along with other information that you should probably know

Sam

Quote from: Commodore Guff on October 31, 2007, 12:57:54 PM
Green energy blah blah green energy

Yes, I'm completely aware of what green energy is, and you totally missed my point in everything I said. Al Gore has money. Al Gore can afford to burn as much shit as he wants as long as he covers it up with this cash.
I do not have money. Therefore, I'm not allowed to burn any shit? How's that fair?
Quote from: Commodore Guff on October 31, 2007, 12:57:54 PMthis brings up another point: have you seen it?

Yes, three times. In school. Not so much boring as it is complete bullshit.
ps- the conservative think tank that initially made the claims of his rampant energy said he used 221,000 kwh in 2006; they claimed to have received that number from Nashville Electric Service
subsequent investigations by the AP revealed that 191,000 kwh were used (30,000 less), and that NEC never gave aforementioned think tank those numbers

I'm not really sure what you're trying to prove with this, but okay.

pps- he has installed solar panels on his nashville mansion
previously, zoning rules prevented the installation of solar panels, and even now, they must not be visible from the street or surrounding property, which kind of makes it a tad more difficult

I think that's great he can afford to do that. I think if he'll give me the money to pay for them solar panels, I'll happily find a way to have them installed in my home. Until then, he shouldn't be preaching for people like me to 'conserve enegy'.

And to finish this off, Bassir, I just wanted to point out that you were very defensive just now over a man who has nothing "to do with the truth concerning global warming, anyways". And I should have stopped reading after I realized you hadn't seen the movie, but I didn't, so oh well. Personally, I don't care whether or not global warming exists. I choose to believe the evidence taht it doesn't over the evidence that it does, and if having that opinion makes me retarder, ah well.

guff

Quote from: samsam on October 31, 2007, 01:21:41 PM
Yes, I'm completely aware of what green energy is, and you totally missed my point in everything I said. Al Gore has money. Al Gore can afford to burn as much shit as he wants as long as he covers it up with this cash.
Cool. So now that you acknowledge that he isn't personally eating the rainforest, how is he being hypocritical, again? psyduck;
I do not have money. Therefore, I'm not allowed to burn any shit? How's that fair?
Sounds like a personal problem.  Most people have money.
Yes, three times. In school. Not so much boring as it is complete bullshit.
therefore global warming is wrong
how's it bullshit
I'm not really sure what you're trying to prove with this, but okay.
people tend to prefer to viciously maim the messenger rather than refute the message
I think that's great he can afford to do that. I think if he'll give me the money to pay for them solar panels, I'll happily find a way to have them installed in my home. Until then, he shouldn't be preaching for people like me to 'conserve enegy'.
Has he asked you, or any of the other poor folk, to install solar panels? psyduck;
energy-efficient light bulbs are a small step in the right direction, and not that expensive
turning off the fan, tv, etc. while not in the room can help, too
energy-efficient appliances and cars with decent gas mileage can be affordable, too
Bassir
i think you took a wrong turn on not paying much attention lane psyduck;
I just wanted to point out that you were very defensive just now over a man who has nothing "to do with the truth concerning global warming, anyways".
yeah, i really should stop trying to prevent the spread of baseless claims meant to impugn the character of someone many perceive to be at the head of the green movement

Whether or not Al Gore punches trees and shits into the ocean has no bearing on the truth behind global warming etc.
And I should have stopped reading after I realized you hadn't seen the movie, but I didn't, so oh well.
How is that relevant?
Why would I want to watch something that seems so boring?
Personally, I don't care whether or not global warming exists.
I don't give a shit as to whether or not lions exist, but I could still get eaten by one.
I choose to believe the evidence taht it doesn't over the evidence that it does, and if having that opinion makes me retarder, ah well.
I'm pretty sure you're already doing a great job of being retarder.

Go Up