April 16, 2024, 02:54:52 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

How did this happen?

Started by BSS, September 03, 2007, 01:46:04 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

BSS

How did the kids of today get so... stupid? When did drugs become cool? When did being yourself translate to being a loser? When did being smart become a bad thing? Why does looking like everyone else make you so 'hott'? Why does everyone care so much about what others think? Why do cliques exist, and why is there so much conflict between them?

Let's face it. The majority of today's youth is seriously fucked up. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't always like this. When did all this start happening?

Personally, I could be in the 'popular' crowd if I wanted without doing anything of the aforementioned things, but I just refuse to because the people in that clique make me sick. Seriously, sometimes when I am thinking about it I want to vomit. What the hell is going on?

This is meant to be more than just a rant thread. I hope it will turn into a real discussion about the problems of the kids today, why we have them, when they started, and *gasp* maybe even how we can fix them!
tbtf

Zack777

yes, we all know they are douche bags. But who needs friends, sex and drugs when we have the internet

Blaze-Senpai

People care to much about having BF/GF's and being the most popular person in school. So people tell them that they need to do these things to be cool and with them, and they don't care what happens to them in life later on down the road.

We can also blame parents for not caring.

YPrrrr

Nice sentiment. A lot of people will agree with you. But most of them are going to be hypocrites, and turn around and do all the shit you just mentioned.

Good thoughts tho toot;

BSS

Quote from: Blaziken Prince on September 03, 2007, 02:10:51 PM
People care to much about having BF/GF's and being the most popular person in school. So people tell them that they need to do these things to be cool and with them, and they don't care what happens to them in life later on down the road.

We can also blame parents for not caring.
Yeah, that's another thing, bf and gf's. That's something I know didn't happen to the extent it does now. Just how did it get to the point where people will start dating as early as 6th grade, and then the kids will 'go out' for as little as a day? Was it the kids who created the whole idea that you should have a bf and gf, or was it the media? I really don't know. I want to say the media, but besides some of the songs on the radio, I can't really think of anything that promotes that idea.
tbtf

guff

Quote from: BSS on September 03, 2007, 01:46:04 PM
When did drugs become cool?
uh when weren't they  psyduck;

men have been drinking beer damn near since the dawn of time
same with opiates
the hashshashins got their name from their ganja consumption, and damn american teenagers have been popularly participating in such rituals of the ancients since the '30s or so
people in lab coats, professors, and writers of dystopian novels started ingesting lsd in the '40s, and the lack of laws making it explicitly illegal made it popular among damn american teenagers in the '50s and '60s

in conclusion, cool people have been doing drugs since the universe am was created

Quote from: BSS on September 03, 2007, 02:41:11 PM
Just how did it get to the point where people will start dating as early as 6th grade, and then the kids will 'go out' for as little as a day?
since popularity mattered, which has also been around since people started existing (though i have a distinct lack of vivid examples supporting this)

Let's face it. The majority of today's youth is seriously fucked up. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't always like this. When did all this start happening?
They say that every generation.
Though, they probably would have abstained from such profanity in generations past (KIDS THESE DAYS AND THEIR FILTHY MOUTHS).

This is meant to be more than just a rant thread.
MISSION FAILED

BSS

Quote from: Commodore Guff on September 03, 2007, 04:05:02 PM
uh when weren't they  psyduck;

men have been drinking beer damn near since the dawn of time
same with opiates
the hashshashins got their name from their ganja consumption, and damn american teenagers have been popularly participating in such rituals of the ancients since the '30s or so
people in lab coats, professors, and writers of dystopian novels started ingesting lsd in the '40s, and the lack of laws making it explicitly illegal made it popular among damn american teenagers in the '50s and '60s

in conclusion, cool people have been doing drugs since the universe am was created
since popularity mattered, which has also been around since people started existing (though i have a distinct lack of vivid examples supporting this)
They say that every generation.
Though, they probably would have abstained from such profanity in generations past (KIDS THESE DAYS AND THEIR FILTHY MOUTHS).
MISSION FAILED
People have always done drugs, but I don't think it was at the point where virtually entire schools did it, including the 13 year olds. (May be wrong.)

Popularity has always mattered, but that goes back to why do kids care about what other people say, is that just human nature or something? And there is no way in hell you can tell me dating was as rampant in the 50-80's as it is now. (Well, maybe it was, but I strongly doubt it!  argh;)

They say it every generation because every generation is getting progressively worse.

omg ur rite mabe i shuld hav just maed a forum on how mean old peplez is
tbtf

guff

Quote from: BSS on September 03, 2007, 04:41:51 PM
People have always done drugs, but I don't think it was at the point where virtually entire schools did it, including the 13 year olds. (May be wrong.)

Popularity has always mattered, but that goes back to why do kids care about what other people say, is that just human nature or something?

And there is no way in hell you can tell me dating was as rampant in the 50-80's as it is now. (Well, maybe it was, but I strongly doubt it!  argh;)

They say it every generation because every generation is getting progressively worse.

omg ur rite mabe i shuld hav just maed a forum on how mean old peplez is
But it was still cool, which was the point.  Also, drinking and smoking was pretty popular amongst the youngins in the '50s.

Yes, it is.  Survival and/or prosperity in a hostile environment is easier when you have more people who wouldn't care if you died, and the company is certainly better.

uh probably not because i'm not sure they've got statistics on that

No, they say it because each generation changes, and people are often hostile to change.  Especially old people.  It's hard to say whether it's for the better or worse, but it is certain that it's different.  Yeah, damn modern teenagers and all that, but at least racial oppression and violence has diminished substantially, among other things.

what

BSS

Okay, I see what you are saying.

I am probably just really angry because I am surrounded by idiots in real life. So yeah, this is a rant thread. Nevermind.
tbtf

Selkie

I'll tell you what happened, moronic kids happened.

Kids who think of the STUPIDEST fucking shit to fit into a 'cool' subculture.

Like, being 'Emo'

Or even crazy-ass shit like being obsessed with furries.

Seriously, the earlier generations would be fucking ashamed of the kids of today, and the plain stupid shit they do.

Houdini

Hey guys, just so you know, you aren't any different. Complaining about how horrible people are doesn't magically make you better than them. Likewise, being self-righteous doesn't make you right. You're probably just as bad as the people you complain about, just in ways you don't realize.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Guava on September 03, 2007, 08:17:28 PM
Hey guys, just so you know, you aren't any different. Complaining about how horrible people are doesn't magically make you better than them. Likewise, being self-righteous doesn't make you right. You're probably just as bad as the people you complain about, just in ways you don't realize.

Indeed. I think it better to do what many of the kids that the previous posters in this thread are complaining about actually do: live for themselves and not care what others think.

Why should they stop themselves just because "earlier generations would be fucking ashamed of the kids today?"

Cliques, styles, and just general conformity...they've always been there, whether previous generations like to admit it or not. It's easier to focus on the negative of today rather than on the negatives of the past.

I think a better question than how all this happened is why we should even have a thread about this in the first place.

Houdini

Quote from: Kazzamatazz on September 03, 2007, 08:45:38 PM
I think a better question than how all this happened is why we should even have a thread about this in the first place.
Answer: lock thread

Go Up