Do you care if not-so-close relatives die?

Started by BSS, August 29, 2007, 07:15:53 PM

previous topic - next topic

Do you?

Yes
8 (34.8%)
No
15 (65.2%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Go Down

BSS

I mean, an aunt you haven't seen since you were three, or an uncle who you never really payed attention to, etc.

I don't really care. Since I have no emotional attachment to them, it is just like some random person dieing on the news. (Except worse because I have to go to the funeral.)

What do you think? Is the fact that you are related enough to make you sincerely care?
tbtf

YPrrrr

I try to comfort those who do care... but if I've never seen 'em, then I dont care as much as I would another

V

No. If we never built a relationship that is significant to me, I wouldn't care if you were my Dad and I was 3. I was too young to remember anything, and I never really developed feelings for the person. I mean, I can dream of what life would have been like with them alive, but that would do me no good.

Daddy

Yes, I care because even though it doesn't really hurt me emotionally, there is some one in my family hurting from the loss--that is something to care about.

Pash

I've just recently had a not-so-close second cousin who died from a drug addiction. Yes, I care. I care because I am fairly close with his mom (my mom's cousin) in which she is upset at the moment. I can't imagine what it must be like to lose a child.

Flameow

I met my great-uncle for the first and last time when I was 12, and he died a few weeks later.  My dad wanted all of us to visit him before he died, but the meeting didn't make me feel any relation toward him.  It was one of the strangest encounters, and I was more embarrassed and awkward being there.
But after he died, I still felt sadness.  I share in the sadness of my family members, and their pain sort of magnifies itself until I feel it too.  I had heard many stories about him as well, ones about when he was little, so it felt like I had known him for a long time. 
I get sad if anyone I know happens to know someone else who has died, because I empathize with them completely and can practically break down crying just as they do.  The first time I met another distant relation of mine, she started talking about a friend of hers who had died, and I got depressed hearing about it.  I really force myself into other people's shoes...

FULL_METAL_RYDER2

Yes I'm said when they die, because they were family, and the fact that I never developed a relationship with them makes me regretful...

MarioGamer

I always end up feeling bad that I didn't really know them that well.  I mean, they were family, I should have at least taken the time to know them before they died. 

reeper

Feel sad for the family but if I had no close connection I don't care too much, only for those who did know him and himself but I don't know. Seems terrible to say but really don't mind too much.

Pyrate

No, I really don't. Like you said, it's just another funeral to attend. I wasn't even sad when my grandmother from my father's side died, because I only saw her once.

prjuni

Yes family is family. It doesn't matter if they aren't that close, they come from my family tree, and I will remember them no matter what.

Classic

If I don't know them very well, it's not my problem.
My job is to comfort others.

Flameow

My great-uncle died a while ago, and I had only met him once (right before he died) and even though I barely knew him, it was kind of a traumatic experience, seeing a person that far gone.  I think it was the shock, that kind of realization about the power of death that bugged me the most, but I didn't really feel a connection to the man.  However, my dad was greatly saddened by it, since apparently he was my dad's coolest uncle, and I felt bad for my dad.  So...yeah, I cared, in an indirect way.

Go Up