April 24, 2024, 10:57:18 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Legalize weed?

Started by strakt, August 22, 2007, 07:55:48 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strakt

Discuss!

My thoughts..

It's your body, do whatever you want to it, as long as you don't harm others.  We have alcohol and tobacco, those two are just as bad if not worse.

Houdini

Alcohol and tobacco are both indeed worse in nearly every possible way. If that shit's legal, marijuana should be legal too.

Title27GT

To be honest with you?
No.
Sure, Tobacco and Alcohol are just as bad for your body, but the effects are nowhere near as dramatic. Pot can seriously fuck you up much worse than Tobacco. Not only that, but usage will increase by at least 60 percent because the prices will drop dramatically.

Daddy

Quote from: Title on August 22, 2007, 08:32:32 PM
To be honest with you?
No.
Sure, Tobacco and Alcohol are just as bad for your body, but the effects are nowhere near as dramatic. Pot can seriously fuck you up much worse than Tobacco. Not only that, but usage will increase by at least 60 percent because the prices will drop dramatically.

If they are just as bad how can marijuana's effects be more dramatic? 

Also, you can't be sure about that.   Sure, there have been one or 2 studies claiming that it's bad for you but schools and the media ignore the flood of reports finding that it's better than tobacco, and in some cases even beneficial.   

Do I think it should be legalized? Yes, every year millions of people are sent to jail or killed over trafficking of the stuff--all because it's illegal.  Legalizing it would save millions of dollars by keeping people out of jail. You wouldn't have the dealers in jail. You wouldn't have the users in jail. You wouldn't have people in jail because they killed some one for the money involved.  Instead these people would be actively contributing to society. 
There would be no need to spend millions more dollars trying to spread biased propaganda throughout schools. There wouldn't be a need to  fund raids on the dealers or to fund the investigations.    The money that the government saves could be placed elsewhere.  If you factor in the money that is GAINED from the people working instead of being in jail, the benefits are even greater. 

And taxation, a good pretty large tax could help regulate it. It would provide an income for the government.

Will the government do it? I doubt it.   Marijuana grows easily, mostly anyone can grow it so the government can't tax these private crops. They'd have competition.

musica.cards

I talked to my mom about this awhile ago (it came up in a discussion somehow). Why not legalize weed, as long as we eat it raw? Either that, or somehow make it injectable. Either way, it's safer to the body.
[move]gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby [/move]

Ash

Well, if you legalize marijuana people will beg the government to legalize every other drug. I agree that you should legalize it for medical purposes. But as for getting high, I'm not sure.

ncba93ivyase

I'm fine with legalizing marijuana, but just like tobacco, it shouldn't be used in public. If you're going to smoke, do it at your house and not someplace where I'm trying to eat some delicious lobster. If you're going to get high, do it at your house so you don't do anything stupid and possibly injure someone. Same goes for alcohol.

But it won't be legalized until it can be taxed.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Selkie

I guess so. It is their own body, and if someone wants to fuck it up, let them.

YPrrrr

Quote from: Rodrigo Fiorentini on August 22, 2007, 08:55:28 PM
If they are just as bad how can marijuana's effects be more dramatic? 

Also, you can't be sure about that.   Sure, there have been one or 2 studies claiming that it's bad for you but schools and the media ignore the flood of reports finding that it's better than tobacco, and in some cases even beneficial.   

Do I think it should be legalized? Yes, every year millions of people are sent to jail or killed over trafficking of the stuff--all because it's illegal.  Legalizing it would save millions of dollars by keeping people out of jail. You wouldn't have the dealers in jail. You wouldn't have the users in jail. You wouldn't have people in jail because they killed some one for the money involved.  Instead these people would be actively contributing to society. 
There would be no need to spend millions more dollars trying to spread biased propaganda throughout schools. There wouldn't be a need to  fund raids on the dealers or to fund the investigations.    The money that the government saves could be placed elsewhere.  If you factor in the money that is GAINED from the people working instead of being in jail, the benefits are even greater. 

And taxation, a good pretty large tax could help regulate it. It would provide an income for the government.

Will the government do it? I doubt it.   Marijuana grows easily, mostly anyone can grow it so the government can't tax these private crops. They'd have competition.

I seriously doubt someone who's in jail for selling illegal substances and willing to kill over the money will start contributing positively to society if it's legalized.

Just because Prohibtion ended, didn't mean Al Capone sat down and opened his own little liquer store, where he became a model citizen.

YPrrrr

Quote from: Ripster on August 23, 2007, 06:28:15 AM
I guess so. It is their own body, and if someone wants to fuck it up, let them.
The government wouldn't accept that arguement... Why do you think there's a law against suicide? Not that the law is there for your well-being, but...

Daddy

Quote from: Your Posting Rival on August 23, 2007, 07:50:39 AM
I seriously doubt someone who's in jail for selling illegal substances and willing to kill over the money will start contributing positively to society if it's legalized.

Just because Prohibtion ended, didn't mean Al Capone sat down and opened his own little liquer store, where he became a model citizen.
I was talking about future people, not people currently incarcerated.

And as for the Al Capone thing, he was in Jail after the prohibition ended.   He was released 7 years before his death and suffered health issues because of syphilis. He died from it.   Not really much crime involved with dieing of an STD.

YPrrrr

Quote from: Rodrigo Fiorentini on August 23, 2007, 08:18:33 AM
I was talking about future people, not people currently incarcerated.

And as for the Al Capone thing, he was in Jail after the prohibition ended.   He was released 7 years before his death and suffered health issues because of syphilis. He died from it.   Not really much crime involved with dieing of an STD.

Oh, that makes more sense then.

And I merely meant him as an example... As if he wasn't in jail, he wouldn't suddenly become a nice person.

guff

Quote from: Your Posting Rival on August 23, 2007, 08:23:10 AM
Oh, that makes more sense then.

And I merely meant him as an example... As if he wasn't in jail, he wouldn't suddenly become a nice person.
Capone was dealing in far more than just booze.  He still would have had plenty of reasons to stay in the underworld.  psyduck;

YPrrrr

Quote from: Commodore Guff on August 23, 2007, 01:31:12 PM
Capone was dealing in far more than just booze.  He still would have had plenty of reasons to stay in the underworld.  psyduck;
I think I should stop using examples of people whose biographies I haven't read psyduck;

Placebo Headwound

Quote from: Your Posting Rival on August 23, 2007, 01:43:03 PM
I think I should stop using examples of people whose biographies I haven't read psyduck;
Yes, you should.

You'll just make yourself look dumb. gonk;

Go Up