April 20, 2024, 04:35:34 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Jokes about the mentally ill

Started by Selkie, August 18, 2007, 06:28:26 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Selkie

August 18, 2007, 06:28:26 PM Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 01:19:27 AM by reefer
Am I the only one who actually is slightly affected by people making jokes about people with any kind of mental disability?

It is a huge pet peeve(if you will) of mine. Maybe because my aunt has a mental illness.

But even my friend, who'se cousin and grandma have a mental illness doesn't care, and says 'retard' all the time.

I don't know if I am being over-sensitive about it or not, but I seriously think I am the only one who doesn't think retard jokes are necessary.

ncba93ivyase

August 18, 2007, 06:37:29 PM #1 Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 06:41:19 PM by Lawlz
I await a rebuttal from someone like Guff, but I really consider mentally retarded folks, such as yourself, less than human. I look down upon idiocy, and I consider those with mental disabilities nothing more than the lowest of idiots. Or maybe those that supposedly "help them along" even lower, since many permit the person to do as they please. I've seen kids with Down's syndrome slap teachers and even their parents, yet no one tells them it's wrong. A retard is not something a person wants to be, so saying "disposable toast is fucking retarded" sounds perfectly fine to me.

Really, what bothers me is when people use "gay" in a negative connotation. There's nothing wrong with homosexuality, so it bothers me when a kid's house burns down, and another says "that's gay."

Jesus Christ, that was a horrible typo.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Selkie

Quote from: Lawlz on August 18, 2007, 06:37:29 PM
I await a rebuttal from someone like Guff, but I really consider mentally retarded folks, such as yourself, less than human. I look down upon idiocy, and I consider those with mental disabilities nothing more than the lowest of idiots. Or maybe those that supposedly "help them along" even lower, since many permit the person to do as they please. I've seen kids with Down's syndrome slap teachers and even their parents, yet no one tells them it's wrong. A retard is not something a person wants to be, so saying "disposable toast is fucking retarded" sounds perfectly fine to me.

Really, what bothers me is when people use "gay" in a negative connotation. There's nothing wrong with homosexuality, so it bothers me when a kid's house burns down, and another says "that's gay."

Jesus Christ, that was a horrible typo.

so since there's nothing wrong with it, that makes it a more sensitive subject to use out of context?

And they can't control their idiocy, it was given to them. Don't look down upon them, pity them, for being given a faulty brain.

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Ripster on August 18, 2007, 06:43:03 PM
so since there's nothing wrong with it, that makes it a more sensitive subject to use out of context?

And they can't control their idiocy, it was given to them. Don't look down upon them, pity them, for being given a faulty brain.
um they were born not constructed

Pity=Look down upon them.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

FAMY2

Quote from: Ripster on August 18, 2007, 06:43:03 PM

They don't need pity. They need compassion and understanding.

Pash

The same reason why people use the word "fag" as a derogatory word.

Chances are, if you see a kid using the word "retard" and "fag" as an insult, he/she really doesn't know who or what it's meant to offend. So guess what? They use it everyday. Otherwise, people just use it as their way of talking, and they don't mean to offend anyone of the source. Or, people use to offend the person they are describing and they do know the definition. Lots of people see these words a different way. I think it's starting to get into society and starting to become the term of a young person's way to talk.

Snorkel

Doesn't bother me. It's the same thing as "racism", I think -- when I'm around my friends I make jokes about killing niggers and whatever, but it's not like I actually hate black people. It's more like I'm making fun of people who really are racist, in a way. But among intelligent people who can tell the difference, it's funny.

So, same thing with making fun of retarded people, sort of, except a lot more people actually don't realize that that sort of mental illness is a very real and serious thing.  psyduck;

As for actually using the word "retarded", I don't care; I've never been sensitive to words.

Samus Aran

Why would it bother me? Everyone gets teased. Why should they be any different? Why can't you just accept them as being equals? Do you think so highly of yourself that you feel the need to look down upon and pity people with handicaps?

And the word "retarded" is bullshit anyway. It's just a word. Nobody screams and cries for the mutes when people call each other "dumb."

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Kaz on August 19, 2007, 03:09:37 PM
Why can't you just accept them as being equals?

I can't accept something that can barely think on its own as "equal." Hell, cats, rats, chimps, and octopuses are more intelligent by a longshot.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Lawlz on August 19, 2007, 03:26:56 PM
I can't accept something that can barely think on its own as "equal." Hell, cats, rats, chimps, and octopuses are more intelligent by a longshot.

Your choice. I still choose to treat them like any other human being, even if they can't understand.

YPrrrr

Quote from: Kaz on August 19, 2007, 03:28:23 PM
Your choice. I still choose to treat them like any other human being, even if they can't understand.
Same here...

I used to live by a home for them, and they still appreciate you talking with them.

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Your Posting Rival on August 19, 2007, 03:54:40 PM
Same here...

I used to live by a home for them, and they still appreciate you talking with them.
From first grade until fourth grade, my teachers would always have a retard sit beside me. I can't bear the odor, and I can't bear the stupidity. I hate the abominations and my opinions on them will probably never change.

V

The one thing you are forgetting lawlz is that mentally challenged kids (well, most of them) are born that way. They will never know what it feels like to not be retarded.

Quote from: Lawlz on August 19, 2007, 06:40:48 AM
ITT Ripster admits he's mentally retarded.

Also,stay on the topic, leave your witty remarks in the lobby.

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: V on August 19, 2007, 06:18:47 PM
The one thing you are forgetting lawlz is that mentally challenged kids (well, most of them) are born that way. They will never know what it feels like to not be retarded.

Yeah... I'm not retarded. I know this.

I still don't give a damn. If it can't live on its own, it shouldn't live at all. Leave it on a hillside for the wolves.

V

Quote from: Lawlz on August 19, 2007, 06:23:33 PM
Yeah... I'm not retarded. I know this.

I still don't give a damn. If it can't live on its own, it shouldn't live at all. Leave it on a hillside for the wolves.

All this proves is that you have a big lack of compassion. I just think it is kind of harsh to look down on someone as if they are beneath you when they can't control the fact they are retarded.

What would you rather have us to do them? Build concentration camps and off them all?

Go Up