April 18, 2024, 03:39:19 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Assisted Suicide

Started by V, August 06, 2007, 08:42:56 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

V

Do you condone it?

I most certainly do.

excerpt from paper I am currently writing
Deciding what is right is especially difficult when the permissibility of deliberately ending a human life is involved. In these extreme situations the normal rules of morality are stretched to the breaking point. Self-defense against a would-be murderer, killing enemy soldiers in war, capital punishment for the most horrendous crimes, intentional suicide by a spy to prevent torture or a coerced disclosure of vital military information, killing a berserk man who is systematically murdering a line of hostages -- all these instances pose questions that severely test our moral wisdom.

Daddy

Yes, I do.  Why should a person be forced to suffer until they die naturally?  If the person is dying of cancer and they know there is no way for them to be cured, why force them to suffer in pain?

V

I know, jmv. In the end after all alternatives have been thoroughly considered, I believe this person has the right to make a choice to die and that it ought to be honored. We have obligations to others and should take their needs into account. The state has an interest in protecting life. But, in the end, individuals should be given wide latitude in deciding when life has become an unendurable hardship.

Andrew1911

Suicide is fine.

Assisted suicide is tricky business.

V

Quote from: Andrew1911 on August 06, 2007, 09:10:55 PM
Suicide is fine.

Elaborate, cunt-face.

Daddy

Quote from: Andrew1911 on August 06, 2007, 09:10:55 PM
Suicide is fine.

Why is that?  The person still wants to die.   Assisted suicide just ensures that there will be less pain.   There is less room for the person to fuck up and fail to kill themself.   

What happens if they are unable to kill themself and their only option is to have some one else do it for them?

Andrew1911

Quote from: JMV290 on August 06, 2007, 09:21:21 PM
Why is that?  The person still wants to die.   Assisted suicide just ensures that there will be less pain.   There is less room for the person to fuck up and fail to kill themself.   

What happens if they are unable to kill themself and their only option is to have some one else do it for them?

The person having the suicide might not be in the right mental state to make such a decision which would make it a murder.

Congrats, you get to ride the storm.

Daddy

Quote from: Andrew1911 on August 06, 2007, 09:49:21 PM
The person having the suicide might not be in the right mental state to make such a decision which would make it a murder.

Congrats, you get to ride the storm.
And if they are? You're going to deny them the right to a humane death?

Andrew1911

Quote from: JMV290 on August 06, 2007, 10:06:17 PM
And if they are? You're going to deny them the right to a humane death?

If it means saving another human life from being killed, yes.

Daddy

Quote from: Andrew1911 on August 06, 2007, 10:13:07 PM
If it means saving another human life from being killed, yes.
Because they're not going to die soon after?

I'm not saying a person can wake up one day and go "lol I wanna die today, doctor plz help me".  I'm talking about terminally ill people, who will otherwise live for another year or 2 in pain, then die.

Andrew1911

Quote from: JMV290 on August 06, 2007, 10:42:15 PM
Because they're not going to die soon after?

I'm not saying a person can wake up one day and go "lol I wanna die today, doctor plz help me".  I'm talking about terminally ill people, who will otherwise live for another year or 2 in pain, then die.

And I'm talking about patients who are not capable of making that decision who could be taken advantage of.

That other person will have to take one for the team, so to speak.

reeper

I don't think either is right, in some cases like medical conditions that prevent you from living a normal life it would be fine with me if someone wanted to end their life. Saying suicide makes them seem like a wimp.

NOA_Haunted

What is the real point of even living? Look at it like this your life you will do work , earn money , and have some good times. But in the end all this means nothing, all that work , money , and those times will all be gone because your dead. If there is a after life (not saying there is) what is the use of any of those things?

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: xXTheHaunted on August 08, 2007, 11:47:50 AM
What is the real point of even living? Look at it like this your life you will do work , earn money , and have some good times. But in the end all this means nothing, all that work , money , and those times will all be gone because your dead. If there is a after life (not saying there is) what is the use of any of those things?
What would society be today if people like Albert Einstein, Thomas Jefferson, and Marty Mcfly all had and acted on that same philosophy?

One reason to live is to improve all of humanity. But if that person is terminally ill and wishes to end the suffering, I feel that a loved one should be permitted to finish the job.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

V

Quote from: xXTheHaunted on August 08, 2007, 11:47:50 AM

That is a very dumb way at looking at life. You are giving this time to make something of yourself. Lawlz worded it better.

Go Up