March 28, 2024, 07:24:38 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Slavery Reparations

Started by reeper, July 29, 2007, 12:45:47 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

guff

Daddy

Guff, yes, welfare does suck but it does help a lot. Paying more would really help.  As a Social Democrat I believe in welfare for the poor(as well as universal healthcare and stuff, but I don't go into that in this thread).  However, from what I've seen around me--and i know it's not a national thing, a lot of the people receiving help from the state are not using the money properly.   

I live in a community with a high percentage of minorities on public assistance.  They are constantly buying new pairs of shoes, usually costing over $100 dollars.  Every month they have a new phone.   They are always buying new iPods.  As I drive through "The Point" I notice that they are driving new, expensive cars.  Yet, at school they qualify for free and reduced lunch.

We need more welfare, but we need to make sure they will use the money to help them and not just buy nice luxury items that other people can't even afford. 

Daddy

Quote from: Commodore Guff on July 30, 2007, 12:28:36 PM
SPOILER ALERT: Irish people are white.
Okay, I'll use Flameow's example but for Italians and Greeks.  They weren't considered white by the governemnt until very recently.  They had a lot of trouble working shit jobs as virtual slaves in the past. And yes, if you get paid it can still qualify as slavery if the wages are low enough.

guff

Quote from: JMV290 on July 30, 2007, 12:37:14 PM
We need more welfare, but we need to make sure they will use the money to help them and not just buy nice luxury items that other people can't even afford. 
okay, cool
How?

Quote from: JMV290 on July 30, 2007, 12:38:58 PM
They weren't considered white by the governemnt until very recently.
psyduck;
Do you really think the government's classification of an ethnicity influences how they're treated?
An employer sees a black guy.  It's obvious that the man is black.  Who knows what the employer thinks.  Then an Italian comes in.  Then a Greek.  Can the employer even tell the difference (hell, what if an Irishman comes in later, as well)?  If not, it's unlikely that he will automatically assume that Mr. Italian loves pasta and Mr. Greek philosophizes (Mr. Irishman eats potatoes).
And yes, if you get paid it can still qualify as slavery if the wages are low enough.
okay so maybe that's the current situation among some of the minorities this whole thing is about
Or as others would say, there's services to help them out, they could try harder, etc.

Daddy

Quote from: Commodore Guff on July 30, 2007, 12:48:11 PM
okay, cool
How?

I don't know.   I guess doing something similar to a food stamps program would help.
Quote from: Commodore Guff on July 30, 2007, 12:48:11 PM
psyduck;
Do you really think the government's classification of an ethnicity influences how they're treated?
An employer sees a black guy.  It's obvious that the man is black.  Who knows what the employer thinks.  Then an Italian comes in.  Then a Greek.  Can the employer even tell the difference (hell, what if an Irishman comes in later, as well)?  If not, it's unlikely that he will automatically assume that Mr. Italian loves pasta and Mr. Greek philosophizes (Mr. Irishman eats potatoes).

It seems to have happened in the past.  As for immigrants, if I were to hear a man with an Italian accent I wouldn't be like "He must be British".   Having a man apply with a Greek last name would pretty much give out the fact that he's Greek.   In modern U.S.A it's difficult to tell where a person is from, but in the early 1900's, even until shortly after world war II it wasn't that hard to differentiate Greeks from, maybe French people. 

Quote from: Commodore Guff on July 30, 2007, 12:48:11 PMokay so maybe that's the current situation among some of the minorities this whole thing is about
Or as others would say, there's services to help them out, they could try harder, etc.
Yes, that is a major problem.  Something needs to be done.   Corporations are taking advantage of minorites.   They have no sense of social duty.  Why do you think they don't think twice about hiring illegal immigrants for far below minimum wage?

Flameow

I still don't understand how slavery suddenly determined how people are living today...can someone explain this idea?

Daddy

Quote from: Flameow on July 30, 2007, 01:04:28 PM
I still don't understand how slavery suddenly determined how people are living today...can someone explain this idea?
Southern bitterness about losing the slaves led to the Jim Crow laws, making it hard for African-Americans to assimilate until the 1970's.

It still has an effect. Although there are some cultural things too. Such as the comments and beliefs that being smart "is white", resulting in many young African-Americans not learning at the potential they have.

guff

Quote from: Flameow on July 30, 2007, 01:04:28 PM
so if all african americans come over by their own free will would they still be the majority of those living in the ghettos?  psyduck;
Quote from: JMV290 on July 30, 2007, 12:59:37 PM
It seems to have happened in the past.
Yes, and that was predominantly during the peak times of Irish migration.  Countries are generally reluctant to immediately allowing immigrants to assimilate.
However, after slave ships essentially disappeared into the 19th century, most blacks were born here.
As for immigrants, if I were to hear a man with an Italian accent I wouldn't be like "He must be British".
Okay, cool.  But most citizens are not immigrants.  Blacks are not immigrants.
Having a man apply with a Greek last name would pretty much give out the fact that he's Greek.
okay cool
not all greeks have greek last names
even then, what assumptions will you make about him?  do you think he's going to steal your stereo? psyduck;
In modern U.S.A it's difficult to tell where a person is from...
But it's easy to see that someone is black.

musica.cards

Quote from: WrenchNinja on July 29, 2007, 08:17:30 AM
They should be given some money, but not a huge amount. Not to be racist, but just imagine what black people would do with all that money. They might buy tons of drugs and weapons. Or they will all get along since they became fortunate.
It's really a huge gamble.

It's only like that because those people grew up in the streets with drugs and guns and such, but what if that wasn't the case? Shouldn't we focus on getting those people out of the streets (and into actual homes)?
[move]gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby [/move]

C.Mongler

Fuck no. I didn't enslave them. Whatever the fuck my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather did to their great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather is none of my concern.

guff

Quote from: C.Mongler on August 08, 2007, 06:04:05 AM
Fuck no. I didn't enslave them. Whatever the fuck my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather did to their great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather is none of my concern.
You're the first person to bring this up.  Congrats.

NOA_Haunted

You know there are still slaves in America today?

Andrew1911

Quote from: Mariomaniac21 on August 11, 2007, 09:09:04 AM
Thats just dumb,why would we pay for people who can get jobs and pay for their own life? psyduck;
And it's not the current Americans that enslaved people, their ancestors did. Why should they pay for their mistakes?

ignore previous posts and make retarded posts of your own

Andrew1911

Quote from: Mariomaniac21 on August 11, 2007, 01:40:31 PM
So? I don't want to fucking quote, big deal.

im talkin bout guff refuting ur dum claim :|

Zeta

Okay, I'll use Flameow's example but for Italians and Greeks.  They weren't considered white by the governemnt until very recently.  They had a lot of trouble working shit jobs as virtual slaves in the past. And yes, if you get paid it can still qualify as slavery if the wages are low enough.

I'm Italian, but I'm not working in de facto slave conditions.

Go Up