June 25, 2024, 11:41:06 PM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Started by Commander Fuckass, December 05, 2014, 09:15:30 PM

previous topic - next topic

how cool

5 wow, such zelda
4 (30.8%)
4 omg omg omg
4 (30.8%)
3 meh, this is the exciting zelda?
3 (23.1%)
2 looks bland, do not want
1 (7.7%)
1 poopy poop
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Go Down

TooB

Samus Aran

Quote from: C.Mongler on March 08, 2017, 05:07:05 AM

but really how do you catch bugs in this game

In my experience you can catch anything in this game by being close enough to it for the A button prompt to pop up. I've caught lizards and fireflies this way. Larger things like birds need to be killed with arrows.

C.Mongler

don't let's

Quote from: Tectron on March 07, 2017, 09:01:21 PM
now, in the original zelda's defense

Quote from: Big Goop on March 06, 2017, 10:48:13 AM
The original Zelda sucks now.

I hate when people do top games of all time and Zelda is always #1 or at least top 3

while i do think the game is a bit overrated, there is a certain type of gamer who adores that type of completely unguided game design, for reasons that i simply don't understand but nonetheless acknowledge

they're the same sorts of people who proclaim that morrowind is the greatest wrpg of all time specifically because it dumps you into an open world with virtually no direction and a barely so much as a 'good luck' (i wonder how morrowind fanboys feel about daggerfall and arena), and hate skyrim for being "casualized" (whereas to me skyrim's "casualization" is actually just an example of game devs demonstrating that they have a modicum of respect for the player's time)

i guess they are also the same sorts of people who keep buying these awful things:

Quote from: Thyme on March 06, 2017, 02:23:53 PM
oh so you must like those early access survival sandbox games then ifeelbetter;

myface;

so while i may not agree with the original zelda's historically high placement in 'greatest of all time' lists, i can at least semi-respect the author's opinion IF AND ONLY IF their justification for it being in a top spot is more substantial than 'well it's zelda and it was the first, so'

also, i fully recognize that deliberately cryptic and punitive game design was somewhat of a necessity in the nes era, as it was the only way to elongate games that would otherwise be two or three-hour experiences in many cases

that doesn't make it any more fun for me, as a player who has never liked to waste too much time wandering around aimlessly, but i get the rationale
I figure that since the original zelda came out there's been a lot of improvements/enhancements and hand holding since then so if somebody hadn't been raised on zelda or games like it from back then, it just ends up being tedious. And even if you were raised on it, going back to it can still be tedious.

And Morrowind was awesome but Skyrim did improve on a lot of things and did have some things that weren't as good. And I cannot get into Arena or Daggerfall. Partly because of the now non standard controls and because of the scope and lack of direction.

Kind of the same concept here too that if you started with Skyrim you might be able to go back to Oblivion but you're most likely not gonna be able to get into Morrowind without at least modding the combat to be more like Skyrim's.

Samus Aran

So hey, you know how in pretty much every open-world RPG, enemies eventually respawn? They do in this game too, but this is the only game that actually tries to make any sense out of it.

[spoiler=Not a story spoiler but if you haven't had a Blood Moon random event yet you might not wanna click this]Now and then you'll get a random event where Calamity Ganon's power will reach its peak, and it will bring back to life enemies you've defeated. This is fucking cool because it shows that the developers saw unexplained enemy respawns as silly and saw fit to address it. That's a level of detail I respect a lot about this game.

Of course, it also respawns materials (like plants and stuff) that you can pick up in nature, and that doesn't make as much sense, but we can't have everything explained I guess.[/spoiler]

Samus Aran

saw a meteorite crash to the ground but it was so far away i couldn't get to it before its beacon just disappeared

nearly struck by lightning lol. didn't realize that the game was warning me about it. ducked inside a little building right before the bolt hit

Nyerp

left the great plateau and got owned by a lightning storm

C.Mongler

yo im having lots of fun just explorin n shit

Samus Aran

same. i played this game so fucking much today. just exploring, killing off enemy camps, doing whatever shrines i come across, finding cool random events or hidden goodies

strongest weapon i've found so far has a power of 50. i've only done enough shrines so far to have 6 heart containers now.

also i found a fucking
[spoiler=random event spoiler i guess]magic glowing horse at the foot of a blossoming cherry tree atop a mountain. tried to get on it and tame it but it ran away lol[/spoiler]

Samus Aran

no you need a butt catching net

TooB

YPrrrr

C.Mongler

god can i just say i fucking love climbing god damn mountains

like i know we all riffed on the "you see that mountain over there, YOU CAN CLIMB IT" line but holy shit, i get it now. i constantly see a big tall cliff and i'm like "you know what i'm gonna climb that shit" and then i do it and its so satisfying fuck

also found out last night that
[spoiler=minor omg "person/place/thing is back" spoiler]the rito people are a race in this game fuck yeah i always liked those birdy fuckers[/spoiler]

Hiro

Quote from: Tectron on March 06, 2017, 06:38:42 AM
[spoiler= no spoils, just a controversial tecopinion]

the "original zelda feel" SUCKS

i hope botw is absolutely nothing like that

gee, i sure do enjoy being dumped in the middle of nowhere and wandering around aimlessly for hours at a time while burning arbitrary bushes and bombing random walls until i find a thing !!![/spoiler]
I quite like the original zelda, and it does have that feeling but not exactly. you get indications of which way to go if you want to progress the plot, and the game actually rewards you constantly for exploring. wandering is a lot of fun and in no way punishing in this game vs the original zelda, it's just that it gives you the freedom and sense of exploration and encountering new things that the original had, but in a far more polished and relaxed way.

also in regards to amiibo in this game, BotW Zelda seems like the best new one to get, and Wolf Link seems like a great addition, but Smash Link seems like probably the best one to get. I'm pretty happy with what the 5 Zelda amiibo I already have give me: OoT Link, Sheik, WW Link & Zelda (and Toon Link). 8-Bit Link might be neat too iunno, but honestly the BotW line of amiibo themselves don't seem especially useful.

also can I just say that I'm really happy to have
[spoiler=minor character you encounter in the first 5 hours]Beedle[/spoiler]
back in this game I love that fucker

rdl

[spoiler=exploration whine]it just sucks that nothing you find from exploration means anything in any permanent way. it's just loot; money, swords, bows, more often arrows or amber. that's it, and if you investigate something suspicious, you get one of 900 korok seeds. its just an mmo, and for me that kind of ruins it, i was expecting this epic plot to unfold but so far the plots pretty much nonexistent. it's fanservice: the game.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=cool moment on the way to the first village]i did catch epona though, which is pretty neat. with no stamina upgrades. i saw another similar looking horse later on which made me realize mines maybe too dark but im happy with her. it was a ton of fun hunting her down, she was way too finicky so the only chances i got were cornering her against the water. the first time i tried she threw me into the water and i drowned lol. i had to drink some of my stamina boosters, which sucked because im always low on food, but i finally got her after chasing her all around the riverbanks for a good 15 minutes. good stamina and great speed, but terrible health so i worry about her.[/spoiler]

Go Up