September 28, 2024, 07:22:13 PM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

tecthread: new video game music discovery!!

Started by Samus Aran, February 23, 2012, 02:57:00 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

Despite having Link's Awakening since I was a little tyke, I never had any clue that it contained homages to a certain Japan-only game that the LA team previously worked on, entitled "Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru," or "For the Frog the Bell Tolls."

The homages in question are found in a certain little villa. Prince Richard is from this other game, and so is the music in his house. I guess this also explains all the goddamn frogs in his house, which I never understood until now.

Maybe you guys already knew this, but I seriously just discovered it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwCFA4f1ipQ[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5lL9_jGX78[/youtube]

Kalahari Inkantation

i love it when vidya companies do silly and non-obvious homages to music from older games like this cry;

lol the original version is so much more stylish goowan

Commander Fuckass

Quote from: Tectrinket on February 23, 2012, 05:02:09 PM
i love it when vidya companies do silly and non-obvious homages to music from older games like this cry;

lol the original version is so much more stylish goowan
i have DX so deal w/it shitnerd
http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

Samus Aran

Quote from: Kefka on February 23, 2012, 05:09:36 PM
i have DX so deal w/it shitnerd

i'm pretty sure he's talking about the original version of the song that this thread is about. as in the version in the original game, which is not link's awakening.

really dp, if you're going to say something like "deal with it shitnerd," at least know what the fuck you're talking about.

snoorkel

woha cool. that game has all kinds of weird cameos and easter eggs in it, if i recall

/whenvideogameswerea ctuallycool

Samus Aran

Quote from: vziard on February 23, 2012, 07:31:09 PM
woha cool. that game has all kinds of weird cameos and easter eggs in it, if i recall

/whenvideogameswerea ctuallycool

yeah, link's awakening has a lot of mario series cameos, in particular. chain chomp, yoshi, goombas, and piranha plants. there's also a monster that looks and acts just like kirby.

snoorkel

Quote from: Kaz on February 23, 2012, 07:32:37 PM
yeah, link's awakening has a lot of mario series cameos, in particular. chain chomp, yoshi, goombas, and piranha plants. there's also a monster that looks and acts just like kirby.

that really confused me when I was younger (like 5 or 6 and first playing gameboy), because I thought itwas from super mario 64 ()which is isn't of course but I played that first)

but then it was in a zelda game  akudood; akudood; akudood; akudood; akudood; akudood;

Kalahari Inkantation

Kalahari Inkantation

ugh, i adore the gb/gbc zeldas for this reason awdood;

and we'll never have another one again

Samus Aran

btw, this "For the Frog the Bell Tolls" apparently plays quite like Link's Awakening, using largely the same game engine, and there's an English fan translation for it, so it does have a following

kind of interested in trying it out sometime

don't let's

I've read about this before but I never checked out exactly what it was in homage too.

PLEASEHELP1991

so that means mario is part of the zelda timeline...
I love [you]

Commander Fuckass

Quote from: Kaz on February 23, 2012, 05:12:55 PM
i'm pretty sure he's talking about the original version of the song that this thread is about. as in the version in the original game, which is not link's awakening.

really dp, if you're going to say something like "deal with it shitnerd," at least know what the fuck you're talking about.
calm down kaz....
http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

Classic

Classic

Go Up