October 16, 2024, 04:21:53 PM

1,531,334 Posts in 46,732 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Folk tales

Started by Samus Aran, February 03, 2011, 05:49:59 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

Do you remember any folk tales from your family's culture? This is especially directed toward people whose families haven't been living in the US since forever (like mine have).

The reason I ask is because I'm in this "oral storytelling" class, and I really need to choose a folk tale to start with...but I'm not really sure where to start. Certainly there were never any folk tales in my childhood aside from common fairy tales reproduced in picture books and movies and such.

Throw some at me. Any you can remember. Any culture. The less well-known, the better.  bassir;

Classic

Texas has some good ones, if you want to look them up.

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Well, you being a Minnesott(ian), Paul Bunyan comes to mind, but that's about as well known as sliced bread.
What about Black Peter? He's like a demon assistant to Saint Nick, if I remember right.

ikanaide

I want to help. But what is 'folk tale'?
:(

YPrrrr

I have a whole book on African tales leftover from my African Storytelling class if you want to use some of those... I believe some focus around penii too if you're so inclined girl;

YPrrrr

Quote from: iCandy on February 03, 2011, 07:54:42 PM
I want to help. But what is 'folk tale'?
:(
Examples: Kintaro, Momotaro, Tokoyo

ME##

Opa used to tell me a stories when I was really little, but he stopped around the time I went to kindergarten.  But the ones I remember most seem to be standard tales, like The Boy Who Cried Wolf.

Samus Aran

Quote from: YPR on February 03, 2011, 07:55:11 PM
I have a whole book on African tales leftover from my African Storytelling class if you want to use some of those... I believe some focus around penii too if you're so inclined girl;

if there are any you find particularly interesting, you could just give me the names of them - i can probably find them online from their names.

YPrrrr

It's hard to pick because I think most of the funny ones were stories he told orally to start class off... From the book I would say I like "The Two Brothers" and "Umxakaza-wakogingqwayo" the best... There are also all sorts of Anansi stories and then the predecessors to the Br'er Rabbit and Cinderella stories

Travis

there are a bunch of stories about how the "jersey smell" came to be, and you can't forget the birth of the tanning bed, as well as the original Guido Jesus story we've all come to know and love

Sillbury

I'm sure you'd love this kaz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Serpent

GIANT RAINBOW SNAKE CREATES WORLD

Go Up