September 24, 2024, 07:37:52 PM

1,531,321 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

I want to purchase some high quality notebooks

Started by strongbad, January 03, 2011, 11:58:23 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

I'm hoping that someone here knows where I can find some nice ones.
I want one that I can use as a journal, so it needs to be pretty large, and one that I can carry around with me and jot things down in. Not for any purpose really, just for if I'm bored and want to doodle, or if I have an idea that I want to write down.

Hiro

Moleskins seem to be pretty popular
I got a good-sized leather-bound notebook at target for like $10. I might get another one.

me003

I like the composition notebooks for drawing in and taking notes, they're like $2 at target or even less.
Quote from: reefer on November 29, 2007, 11:32:08 PM
No offense to her but she kinda doesn't know crap about shit

??????

i use a memo notepad
i don't see why you would want a large notebook for jotting things quick
WHERE WOULD YOU PUT IT

unfortunately my notepad's cover is made out of flimsy cardboard and anything non-pen gets smudged or ripped
i should invest in some rhodia notepad

Socks

Cookie

I actually want something like this too.

I had a moleskin and wasn't a big fan. I'd like something different.

Hippopo

Quote from: Analysis Paralysis on January 04, 2011, 06:03:54 AM
i don't see why you would want a large notebook for jotting things quick
WHERE WOULD YOU PUT IT
THIS.  akudood;

Quote from: Socks on January 04, 2011, 06:10:11 AM
the medium doesn't really make the idea.
THIS.  akudood;

Aaaaaaand.

Why do you want it high quality if you're just going to be jotting down ideas and DOODLING.  akudood;

Goodness gracious.  Kids these days.

??????

Quote from: Potty Moss on January 04, 2011, 09:17:40 AM
THIS.  akudood;
THIS.  akudood;

Aaaaaaand.

Why do you want it high quality if you're just going to be jotting down ideas and DOODLING.  akudood;

Goodness gracious.  Kids these days.

because all my notes look like this after 2 days cry;

i'm just going to glue two pieces of wood to my notepad
that's actually a great idea  AWESOME

hippo you're so thinspirational  cjlubdoods;

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

http://www.aswexpress.com/discount-art-supplies/paper-and-sketchbooks/sketchbooks-and-journals/global-arts/global-arts-handbook-journal-ivory-black-0080633000000.html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping

These are really nice. The binding's a little stiff, but it works itself out eventually. The hard cover is a little more appealing than some of the flimsy faux-leather stuff too. The paper is a toothy off-white that works great with pens.
They're a little expensive, though, and might not be the best for quick notes, but they're great to sketch in.

I've bought a few over the years, but I usually just use them for sketching. I always carry around a small memo or occasionally a moleskine for daily mind shitting and grocery lists and footnotes for my daily routine and jsbfjdsfnwoefjnikwjbdfclwjsbdwfcl

But, really, if you're looking for something portable to just quickly jot in, it really doesn't matter what you get.
Unless you're looking for a particular type of paper?

Hiro

I have no idea where I'd find this, but for some reason I feel like it would be entertaining to have just one giant piece of paper to write on and then fold up and put in your pocket.

??????

Quote from: Admin on January 04, 2011, 10:14:03 AM
I have no idea where I'd find this, but for some reason I feel like it would be entertaining to have just one giant piece of paper to write on and then fold up and put in your pocket.
i've done that in the past
it's better with construction paper if you plan to have it in your pants for ~2 weeks

strongbad

Quote from: Socks on January 04, 2011, 06:10:11 AM
the medium doesn't really make the idea.

Obviously, but I still want a nice notebook. It's like saying that a runner would want nice running shoes. He could still run with worse shoes, just not as well. Sure, writing will probably be the same on any notebook, but I want one that I know is reliable and will look nice.

Hippopo

Quote from: Runner Up: Strongbutt on January 04, 2011, 10:59:01 AM
Obviously, but I still want a nice notebook. It's like saying that a runner would want nice running shoes. He could still run with worse shoes, just not as well. Sure, writing will probably be the same on any notebook, but I want one that I know is reliable and will look nice.
  confuseddood;

Well, I've used quite a few different notebooks in the past.  It's true that they aren't all created equally, but "high quality" (aka expensive) notebooks are a waste of money.  As long as the pages don't fall out, you should be good.  I guess if you're into image and all of that good stuff, go and buy a moleskin...  But you get just as much with a dollar notebook. 

And seriously, do people actually go around and think "OOOOH BAY-BAY!  Look at that notebook!  He's sooo cool with his brand-name moleskin.  He must be totally artsy and deep."

saddood;

Nyerp

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: Runner Up: Strongbutt on January 04, 2011, 10:59:01 AM

Yeah, but would a recreational jogger who runs occasionally need a $400 pair of running shoes?

But, regardless, I wouldn't advise spending too much unless you're looking to compile some kind of keepsake memento of your early college years that you can look back on and laugh and laugh.

I guess, any small notebook over $20 is gonzo batshit. That handbook I posted is close, and even that's a little superfluous. It's one of those splurges that I don't need, but I'm dumb.

But, what do I know. Just go to staples and buy something.

Go Up