June 26, 2024, 05:28:05 AM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Greatest American rock band?

Started by Selkie, July 15, 2010, 08:43:51 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Selkie

This is a pretty difficult question.

My personal choice is Aerosmith. Followed by Bruce Springsteen.

YPrrrr

The Jimi Hendrix Experience gets my vote

spaceman

Quote from: YPR on July 15, 2010, 09:34:45 AM
The Jimi Hendrix Experience gets my vote

>London based
>2 English members vs 1 American member

Samus Aran

July 15, 2010, 12:11:34 PM #3 Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 12:18:30 PM by Lain
Bob Dylan

Or, if you don't count him because only about half his career might be considered "rock," then...The Flaming Lips, or maybe Sonic Youth or The Smashing Pumpkins.

snorkel

Nirvana or Pixies

Both were perfect encapsulations of a growing sound; I think Nirvana struck the soul of the grunge thing beautifully, then got obliterated and misunderstood by irrelevant public reception (Cobain spoke about this at length). They inspired a decade of innumerable bands, basically none of which are memorable. Pixies simply have the greatest number of fucking great raw rock anthems (and they were another momentous catalyst, producing Weezer etc) -- the number of times I've zoomed down the highway screaming along to Head On or Gouge Away or Letter to Memphis, or reclined in some freshly altered state on a 'Wave of Mutilation'.

(these are not my first two favorite american rock bands or even those I'd consider most talented, just 'greatest')

Indigo

In terms of quality of inspiration?

Inspiration? Led Zeppelin, Velvet Underground, and Pixies. Maybe Nirvana

Quality? no clue.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Indigo on July 15, 2010, 02:05:05 PM
In terms of quality of inspiration?

Inspiration? Led Zeppelin, Velvet Underground, and Pixies. Maybe Nirvana

Quality? no clue.

Led Zeppelin is about as American as the Tower of London.

They're English, completely.

Indigo

Quote from: Lain on July 15, 2010, 02:17:16 PM
Led Zeppelin is about as American as the Tower of London.

They're English, completely.
whoops <_< At least I didn't say The Who or The Beatles or I'd never forgive myself

I guess Bob Dylan can go in their place. Ballad of a Thin Man <3

Geno

Quote from: Lain on July 15, 2010, 12:11:34 PM
Bob Dylan

Or, if you don't count him because only about half his career might be considered "rock," then...The Flaming Lips, or maybe Sonic Youth or The Smashing Pumpkins.
Speaking of Bob Dylan he's coming in August.  :3
Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

sans culottes

The Velvet Underground, definitely.
I support BUSH

Mando Pandango

Velvet Underground is really the only American classic rock band I can think of that's considered great.
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

sans culottes

Quote from: Man of Popsicle on July 15, 2010, 03:30:25 PM
Velvet Underground is really the only American classic rock band I can think of that's considered great.
Except they're hardly "classic rock" as it is. Few people listened to them when they were around, and no classic rock station would ever play a song by them.

American rock'n'roll has never really been about one band in particular, in my opinion. Instead of producing giant acts like the Beatles and Led Zeppelin that singlehandedly changed music forever, American music produces underground scenes that change everything without anyone knowing it. Most people still can't name the bluesmen like Robert Johnson that shaped rock'n'roll before it was invented, and as much as I want to credit the 70's American punk scene for their influence, I can't decide which band was the most important of them all.
I support BUSH

Samus Aran

Quote from: Stagger Lee on July 15, 2010, 03:41:37 PM
American rock'n'roll has never really been about one band in particular, in my opinion.

except for The Beach Boys during their peak, and Elvis during his

Selkie

Quote from: Stagger Lee on July 15, 2010, 03:41:37 PM
American rock'n'roll has never really been about one band in particular, in my opinion. Instead of producing giant acts like the Beatles and Led Zeppelin that singlehandedly changed music forever, American music produces underground scenes that change everything without anyone knowing it.

Very true. this is precisely why I thought this was a very difficult question, therefore capable of making good discussion.

Also, I forgot to say The Beach Boys are the third band that is really up there battling for the spot in my opinion.

Dullahan

Go Up