September 19, 2024, 03:57:29 PM

1,531,318 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Discussion on Guy Ritchie and particularly RocknRolla

Started by snorkel, July 08, 2009, 05:12:06 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

snorkel

First off, after re-watching RocknRolla I must say it's a fucking great film. It gets a full 7 (out of 7) from me. Right there next to Pulp Fiction and Fear & Loathing and other such timeless classics.

There's no question that Guy Ritchie has a formula, one might even call it a generic outline he uses for every movie he makes (almost), but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to see like 10 more movies made with the same formula. Snatch, way back when, was and still is brilliant, Revolver (yeah I'm ignoring Lock Stock and those other subpar movies he made) was almost as good, and RocknRolla is a fucking treatise on epic filmmaking.

Why is it this good?

- There's no bad acting in sight. Also, there's no Jason Statham in sight, which can be good or bad, but I'm going to say good because I'm personally not a fan of him. Second: MARK STRONG. I do not know if everyone else thinks he's fucking awesome, but he's fucking awesome (he's Archy, and also the Jordanian intelligence guy in Body of Lies, which is, incidentally, also a good movie)

- Editing. Just like Snatch, they get it spot-on and tell the story like a novel unfolding on screen.

- It's just awesome.  Movies come in two sorts, the starkly serious and meaningful ones, and the ridiculously entertaining ones. Neither is easy to do, and I'd say the second is harder to actually make a good film out of, but RocknRolla succeeds because it's entertaining and laughable throughout without having a hint of anything you should actually care about. Much like what every James Bond movie would be if any of them were good

- soundtrack, excellent as always; cinematography, refreshing and unique (I'm thinking of the scene with One-Two and Stella dancing with the on-screen text)

I hope with all of my heart everyone else likes this movie enough for The Real RocknRolla (the already-written sequel) to be produced, because Mark Strong appears to be the main character alongside Toby Kebbell (who had a minor role as the "rock n rolla" in RocknRolla)

tl;dr
- RocknRolla is amazing go watch it
- Body of Lies is also good watch it for Mark Strong

Veal

Yeah it was great. I like Snatch better or equally as much, I don't know. I'm glad you think Lock, Stock was mediocre too.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Andrew1911

Veal

Andrew1911

Selkie

Ill put it in my newfliz queue.

Thanks Snorkel, my list needed a boost.

Personally though, I didn't like Bdy of Lies, but it might just have been because I'm not a fan of Ridley Scott's action scenes.

snorkel

Quote from: Selkie on July 08, 2009, 08:03:07 PM
Ill put it in my newfliz queue.

Thanks Snorkel, my list needed a boost.

Personally though, I didn't like Bdy of Lies, but it might just have been because I'm not a fan of Ridley Scott's action scenes.

It was in no way amazing but was definitely a good choice for an evening boredom-killer torrented blu-ray rip, and really would have been half as good without mark strong

Go Up