June 26, 2024, 01:21:35 AM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Nintendo Switch Thread Consolidation

Started by ME##, May 25, 2015, 05:13:07 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

The artist formally known

Quote from: C.Mongler on January 29, 2016, 10:12:21 AM
yeah wouldnt be bad. ESPECIALLY if the NX is where Nintendo FINALLY gets their shit together when it comes to online capabilities, it would be a great way to show case being able to play nintendo gaems with your friends

[spoiler]i'm gonna flip a fucking desk if there's another generation of friend codes[/spoiler]
serious. ninny, fucking do your job

bluaki

Quote from: C.Mongler on January 29, 2016, 10:12:21 AM
i'm gonna flip a fucking desk if there's another generation of friend codes
Nintendo is already done with friend codes. DS and Wii are the only systems that use per-game friend codes, while 3DS is the only system that uses a console-wide friend code.

Wii U introduces Nintendo Network IDs, which are actual usernames. Anybody who knows your username (or even finds you on Miiverse) can simply send a friend invite, which you'll get a notification for that you can accept, just like any other sane online friends system.

Starting in March, Nintendo's going to transition Nintendo Network IDs over to a new system called "Nintendo Account", which retains those features but adds more things like mobile support, a shared cross-platform friend list, a rewards system, cloud saves, and more.

There's no reason to believe Nintendo's next system's won't launch with software designed to use Nintendo Account for all community, purchasing, and management features.

TooB

bluaki

Quote from: Loto on January 31, 2016, 12:58:55 AM
eh, they'll fuck it up somehow
I think there's nothing wrong with Wii U's friend system. I don't expect them to regress at all in terms of that functionality.

As for other features outside friends? Yeah, there's plenty of baffling decisions in NNID features that have a high chance of not being fixed with Nintendo Account or NX, like:
* Can't sign in to a single account on more than one console of each product line (for now: one Wii U and one 3DS)
* On a system that supports multiple user accounts (Wii U), you can't transfer individual accounts between devices
* Very limited cross-buy, not even available on any of the VC games (like NES) that both platforms have. On the small few items that support it (Smash DLC and Mario vs DK), it's not automatic and you have to manually enter a download code on the other platform.

New features also have potential for being screwed up, of course, like maybe the "cloud saves" will be super limited.

C.Mongler

i mean i havent investigated any of the wii u's account features since launch, but the fact that your account is tied to the system is fucking dumbfounding enough. i mean it works i guess, but it seemed like it was designed by someone with no experience in setting up such a system before. the fact that they're nearly a decade late to making a competent console account system doesnt exactly build my confidence that the nx's online account infrastructure will even be as good as say, the launch xbox 360's. because at this point it still isn't.

C.Mongler

COULD THIS BE THE NX CONTROLLER????

[spoiler]i fuckin hope not lol[/spoiler]

Thyme

Classic

C.Mongler

doing some CSI SHIT shows that this likely isn't shopped, so someone would have had to make this monstrosity IRL themselves for it to be fake

though it does look like the diagram in a recent nintendo patent, just sans the handlebars

ME##

Quote from: C.Mongler on March 18, 2016, 06:49:02 AM
COULD THIS BE THE NX CONTROLLER????

[spoiler]i fuckin hope not lol[/spoiler]
yeah i am saying 'wow, that looks like a pile of dog shit; thankfully i'm enlightened and can't be tricked by nintendo'

Kalahari Inkantation

the fact that it's so faithful to the patent image should be a dead giveaway that it's a bad fake made by an absolute moron

nintendo may be stupid, but it's not so stupid that it would design a console with a display that would be almost completely obscured by the player's hands 99% of the time

[spoiler]

then again, they really did release the n64 controller...........[/spoiler]

that patent was proof of concept, the final product isn't literally going to be exactly that lol

C.Mongler

it's not 100% faithful though; like i said it is slightly different because it doesn't have the handles on the bottom. plus if it's really it's likely from a dev kit, and early dev kits by and large look like ass and are usually significantly cleaned up before the launch of the consumer unit. take the wii U for example:

plus like you said, nintendo does crazy retarded shit all the time. n64 controller, DS (eventually, yes, was a success, but holy shit did it get grilled at launch), Wii (same thing as DS), and once again Wii U, are all decent examples

but i'm hopin' I'M PRAYIN' this isn't real, because holy shit this looks like it's unintuitive as fuuuuuuuck

Kalahari Inkantation

dev kits are always rough and the n64 controller is clumsy but neither is quite as mind-bogglingly impractical as an irregularly shaped display wildly perforated with input devices that would be completely covered by the hands anyway

i mean that doesn't even make sense lol

C.Mongler

Kalahari Inkantation

also the lighting of that ""'display""" isn't uniform at all, it's a static image overlaid onto what's probably a hollow plastic shell with an led or smth on the inside

in other words, an extremely low effort fake lol

Go Up