Started by Samus Aran, September 04, 2014, 09:53:57 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

lol I was just thinking a few minutes ago about how I still haven't done this

ME##

Thyme

bluaki

I just realized this is the same GPU (R9 270X) that I've been planning to buy soon too. I've read good things about its price:performance ratio and its ability to handle most games well at reasonable resolutions.

Here's my full build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ryHrt6
I already have everything but the video card, and I'm not really sure on the particular model but I'll just watch for sales. I've had some of these parts since up to 3 years ago.

The main differences between my build and Kaz's are that I spent a lot more on monitors, he spent more on CPU (i5 vs Pentium), and my build is small (miniITX vs ATX). I'm actually considering getting a higher-end CPU once Intel's Broadwell series is available.

For Kaz's build: do you intend to overclock?
If so, have you looked into how much you can or want to overclock with this build and how much it'll actually matter?
If not, you probably should consider getting a cheaper motherboard (H97 chipset is the same as Z97 except cheaper and without OC) and maybe cheaper CPU.

Some similar parts you might want to consider are:
Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H ($93, H97, ATX)
Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H ($87, H97, microATX)
ASUS H97M-E ($95, H97, microATX, only 4 SATA ports)
ASUS H97-PLUS ($100, H97, ATX)
Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ($108, Z97, ATX)
Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H ($108, Z97, microATX)
Intel i5-4430 ($180, 3.0GHz)
Intel i5-4460 ($185, 3.2GHz)
Intel i5-4690 ($210, 3.5GHz)

For your purposes, microATX and ATX motherboards probably are interchangeable; they can both fit in full-size ATX cases and they can work with the same components. The only real difference between them is that microATX has fewer expansion card slots, but I imagine you only care about using one for a video card. MicroATX is often a bit cheaper than the equivalent ATX board, but occasionally can lose some other features like two of the RAM slots or some SATA connectors. The ones I listed all have 4 RAM slots.

silvertone

Quote from: bluaki on November 11, 2014, 11:36:17 PM
I just realized this is the same GPU (R9 270X) that I've been planning to buy soon too. I've read good things about its price:performance ratio and its ability to handle most games well at reasonable resolutions.

Here's my full build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ryHrt6
I already have everything but the video card, and I'm not really sure on the particular model but I'll just watch for sales. I've had some of these parts since up to 3 years ago.

The main differences between my build and Kaz's are that I spent a lot more on monitors, he spent more on CPU (i5 vs Pentium), and my build is small (miniITX vs ATX). I'm actually considering getting a higher-end CPU once Intel's Broadwell series is available.

For Kaz's build: do you intend to overclock?
If so, have you looked into how much you can or want to overclock with this build and how much it'll actually matter?
If not, you probably should consider getting a cheaper motherboard (H97 chipset is the same as Z97 except cheaper and without OC) and maybe cheaper CPU.

Some similar parts you might want to consider are:
Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H ($93, H97, ATX)
Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H ($87, H97, microATX)
ASUS H97M-E ($95, H97, microATX, only 4 SATA ports)
ASUS H97-PLUS ($100, H97, ATX)
Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ($108, Z97, ATX)
Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H ($108, Z97, microATX)
Intel i5-4430 ($180, 3.0GHz)
Intel i5-4460 ($185, 3.2GHz)
Intel i5-4690 ($210, 3.5GHz)

For your purposes, microATX and ATX motherboards probably are interchangeable; they can both fit in full-size ATX cases and they can work with the same components. The only real difference between them is that microATX has fewer expansion card slots, but I imagine you only care about using one for a video card. MicroATX is often a bit cheaper than the equivalent ATX board, but occasionally can lose some other features like two of the RAM slots or some SATA connectors. The ones I listed all have 4 RAM slots.
O_O

snoorkel

don't skimp on the CPU. create zip archives at blazing pace.

silvertone

ME##

kaz, the r9 270x is on sale today for $165 after mir on ncixus.com plus free shipping

Samus Aran

thanks for letting me know david, i may order it tonight after work happydood;

good timing too because i was planning on starting to buy this stuff this weekend lol

TooB

Quote from: David on November 09, 2014, 01:41:46 PM
will john take pix of kaz building his computer like an excited kid @ christman

It will be reminiscent of that scene in Serial Experiments Lain....

ME##

http://www.ncixus.com/products/index.php?sku=91110&promoid=1034

Here's the link in case u can't find it because NCIX's UI is a bit gash tbf
Quote from: Jojo on December 05, 2014, 12:36:26 PM
Quote from: David on November 09, 2014, 01:41:46 PM
will john take pix of kaz building his computer like an excited kid @ christman

It will be reminiscent of that scene in Serial Experiments Lain....
:0

bluaki

Newegg's usual post-rebate price for that same exact card is $170, so that's actually only a $5 savings

Also, maybe I should've posted this here at the time: Newegg's Cyber Monday sale had $30 off any $150+ order with Paypal Checkout, so I bought myself a 270X then. The one I picked is Sapphire's Dual-X, which had a base price of $160 - $30 Paypal - $20 rebate = $110

But I think ASUS and MSI generally are said to make better cards

Samus Aran

would anyone be willing to help me reliably pirate windows 7 or even just send me a livedisc, be it legit or pirated

i really don't want to spend money on it cry;

Samus Aran

December 09, 2014, 12:44:06 AM #28 Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 01:13:04 AM by Platinum the Trinity
i went down to ddr3-1600 as opposed to 1866 on my 2x4gb ram, went down to 3.3ghz i5-4590 as opposed to a 3.5ghz i5-4690k, and switched to the Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H ATX board that blu suggested

oh and took out the operating system

edit: now also changed from a samsung 128gb ssd to a kingston 120gb ssd for a lot less

down to $1047 $1008.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YbjrWZ

any other suggestions idk what else to do lol

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Go Up