May 03, 2024, 12:04:08 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

how nice is your computer

Started by snoorkel, October 14, 2011, 12:20:29 AM

previous topic - next topic

rd8912fh

right bitchin
3 (12%)
nicer than needed
2 (8%)
p. dec
11 (44%)
mediocre
6 (24%)
severely in need of upgrade
1 (4%)
fucking awful
2 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Go Down

applesauce

That sounds pretty good except for the RAM. I used to have a 17.2" ASUS g73 that had that same processor, but with 8gb of memory and a 5870m. It was great, except for the size and the relatively low clock on the memory. I sold it to help build my current desktop. I had initially planned on buying a netbook once I had the money, but I've honestly very rarely felt the need for one, so I haven't yet. I do occasionally borrow one from my roommate, but less than once a month.

?????

Quote from: ilovesloths on April 03, 2012, 10:27:01 PM
User Name   david (David Lowry)
Date/Time   Tue 03 Apr 2012 10:22:38 PM PDT

Uhh? This is relevant because?
Die for Dethklok

bluaki

Quote from: ,,,-,,, on April 04, 2012, 07:02:28 PM
It's probably just copy+pasted from some system details application

Quote from: applesauce on December 08, 2011, 10:18:13 AM
Sometimes I forget the model number of my motherboard. But things like CPU model number, motherboard manufacturer + chipset, gpu # + PCB manufacturer, HDD capacities, rpm, and manufacturer, and ram capacities and speed should not be forgotten.
Though I know model names, I don't memorize model numbers of my motherboard, CPU, or anything else really. I don't at all know my motherboard's chipset number and I don't even know how that matters, though I do definitely know its CPU socket type and the details of all other ports/sockets. I don't have my RAM's speed memorized either.

But checking all these details while making this post anyways:
ASUS M4A785TD-M board
AMD 785G North Bridge, AMD SB710 South Bridge
1333 MT/s (9-9-9 timings)
Regor 250 (Athlon II X2 3.0GHz)

Then again, I don't have too much reason to care so much about my hardware; I don't think I ever even reach the limits of my computer's processing power (or RAM capacity, etc.). The only ways I've really ever felt limited by my specs are in disk capacity (which is nearly full and with no backup at a time when buying more drives is way too expensive) and in allotting video memory for virtual machines (my pathetic 128MB may be plenty for most other tasks I do, but it's not enough to split between two OSes at once)

The most computationally demanding thing I do on my desktop at least once a month is playing HD video. But the computer I used before building this one couldn't even handle that.

applesauce

Chipset determines basically everything-- when you're building your computer around a motherboard, you're really building it around a chipset first and foremost. That's why people refer to chipsets as "platforms" ie, x79 platform, x58 platform, z68, h67, p67, ect. Your chipset determines all sorts of things, such as:

--Number, revision, and distribution of available PCI and PCI-e lanes
--CPUs supported, and whether certain features of said CPUs are available (unlocked multipliers, integrated graphics and EPUs, ect)
--Number of DIMMs, as well as supported speeds and capacities
--I/O support, such as USB3, esata, thunderbolt, ect
--SATA controllers-- number and speed of ports, as well as integrated RAID and SSD cacheing options.

I'm sure there's more but that's all I can think of right now.

strongbad

Quote from: ,,,-,,, on April 04, 2012, 07:02:28 PM

copy paste like bluaki said
sorry for wasting that line of text

LCK

Quote from: ilovesloths on April 04, 2012, 11:19:06 PM
copy paste like bluaki said
sorry for wasting that line of text
you better be.

famy

Quote from: Trevor on April 05, 2012, 09:10:06 AM
you better be.
he better fucking be i had to fuckING READ THAT SHIt

Nate

Quote from: FAMY2 on December 09, 2011, 04:30:43 PM
  Uh....
Intel Core i7-2600 processor(8mg cache, 3.4 GHz)
8 GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4x2GB
Nvidia GeForce GT 545 1GB GDDR5
Serial ATA II RAID with dual 500GB hard drives

What else? 

Old post is old, but wow congrats on your comp blowing mine out of the water now.  happydood;

YPrrrr

Eh, it's usually pretty okay, but sometimes it's cranky and gets really bossy. Not the nicest computer I've ever had, but I've seen worse

Mobius135

AMD FX 6-Core
8GB RipJaw DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6570
Two HDDs

It's mainly my minecrafting machine though.
.gif[/img]

Snowy

This is my school laptop:

I'll have my desktop's specs later today.

?????

Die for Dethklok

Socks

Quote from: ,,,-,,, on April 20, 2012, 07:35:44 PM
I thought you were in high school.

If apple had their way, kids would be getting their products while still in diapers.

Anyway, my computer is pretty nice, sometimes well behaved sometime down syndromy, I like it though.

FAMY2

Quote from: Nate on April 05, 2012, 04:42:20 PM
Old post is old, but wow congrats on your comp blowing mine out of the water now.  happydood;

LOL My old one died.

Go Up