October 26, 2024, 09:41:14 PM

1,531,342 Posts in 46,732 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Coming of age novels.

Started by The spy who loves you, February 09, 2011, 11:56:07 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

The spy who loves you

This semester I'm in contemporary literature and I've read two coming of age novels. The classic "Catcher in the Rye" and "The Perks of being a wallflower". Perks is written like a diary, I can't remember what that type of novel is called right now...anywayssss.

Aside from this being the first time I've actually read material for a class and god knows when, I really enjoyed both of them.

I liked Perks so much I read it in two days, it's incredibly easy to understand and brief, but it's a really enjoyable story. It goes so many places books are normally afraid to go.

The main character trips on acid and describes it, talks about how often he masturbates and totally hooks up with an 18 year old (character is 16 by the end of the book.). Awesome.

But have any of you read either story?What are you favorite coming of age novels? What would you recommend?

Samus Aran

Yeah I've read both of those. Catcher used to be my favorite book ever. Now I personally prefer another of Salinger's books called Franny and Zooey, over Catcher.

The spy who loves you

Quote from: Presea on February 10, 2011, 12:11:44 AM
Yeah I've read both of those. Catcher used to be my favorite book ever. Now I personally prefer another of Salinger's books called Franny and Zooey, over Catcher.
What's it about?

But yeah Catcher is one hell of a book too. I feel kind of crazy though because I've noticed quite a few similarities I have to both characters.Charlie a little more in particular because of the exposure to drugs and the people we associate ourselves. And Charlie is cooler, he fucking does Acid. I just hope I don't try to assasinate someone.

Samus Aran

Quote from: The spy who loves you on February 10, 2011, 12:14:55 AM
What's it about?

one part of it is about Franny Glass's meeting with her boyfriend

the other, longer part is about Zooey Glass and his problems with society, and his interactions with the other members of the Glass family

it's all just this wonderful lump of upper-class narcissism and pretentiousness from these two characters and, i dunno, it's kind of hard to describe. it's basically a novella-length character study. Salinger wrote other things about the Glass family too.

Go Up