May 04, 2024, 07:27:36 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Videogames as Art (?)

Started by The Hand That Fisted Everyone, June 08, 2010, 03:20:50 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

People have been debating for some time, apparently, whether or not video games are art. Reading this month's GI kind of brought this to my attention.

Roger Ebert posted something in his blog about Video Games and art, entitled: "Video games can never be art"
Here's the link: http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/04/video_games_can_never_be_art.html

Apparently he heard the TED talk by thatgamecompany's Kellee Santiago, which can be heard on Ebert's post.

She also released a response to Ebert here -----> http://thatgamecompany.com/general/right-moving-on-my-response-to-ebert/

There was also a NY times thing about the subject. I can't find a link, but you can look it up.

I think it's interesting to hear the points and arguments made for both sides, so I figure I would ask boyah their opinion.

DO YOU THINK OF VIDEO GAMES AS ART?

Thyme

I think it has the potential to be a form of art generally, but obviously not all video games are pieces of art. But some are.

Exactly like movies.

Mando Pandango

Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

ME##

The medium can be used for art, but it doesn't necessarily mean that all games are art.  Just like any other art medium.

rdl

Are paint splatters art?

If so, then yeah even Gears of War is a form of art. At least the developers put in some effort to make that game. But if it isn't, then I'd say that pretty much Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are the only games that could be considered to be "art".

Oh

How can something that a bunch of artists make not be art?   akudood;

strongbad

Yes and no. In the same way that a game of football is art to some people. I guess it just really depends on what your perception of art is.

?????

Quote from: Strongbab on June 10, 2010, 04:22:57 PM
Yes and no. In the same way that a game of football is art to some people. I guess it just really depends on what your perception of art is.
QFT
Die for Dethklok

Go Up