April 27, 2024, 07:24:01 PM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

DRAGON QUEST IX: Why you should buy it

Started by KonohaShinobi, July 10, 2010, 08:02:33 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

KonohaShinobi

July 21, 2010, 11:59:29 AM #30 Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 12:05:17 PM by KonohaShinobi
Quote from: C Mongler on July 21, 2010, 10:37:11 AM
Okay i'm like 20 hours in, but which one is easier, saving Marionette, or dealing with the dude in the mountains?

Well marionette's boss is kind of a bitch since it attacks twice and it can make multiple characters inactive as well as envenomating multiple characters, so if you have a good healer you should do fine and take care of it pretty easily since it does not have too much HP. My warrior and martial artist were dealing about 80 average and when I tensioned up my martial artist about 300+  so it wasn't too bad.

Also, that boat allows you to get access to a ton of new areas and there's a beach to the east of bloomingdale's continent that has nothing but gold golems which net about 1000 xp for each character, so you can grind there.

Not sure who the dude in the mountain is, there are alot of bosses in mountains. What town is the quest picked up in?

So far none of the bosses have been too troublesome, none of my characters have even hit 30 yet and I am wrecking bosses with ease. Finished swinedimples fygg quest and the boss was not bad, he did that typical double hitting bullshit the rest have done, but if you focus on attacking the bosses go down pretty easily. I have not died during a boss fight but got close to it during swinedimple's, only my martial artist and warrior were left with like 20 HP, martial artist got in a critical in the nick of time, thank god.

Oh and when you do get that boat, head northeast and go to swinedimples, just talk around and gain access to the tomb where the boss dungeon is. The Inn there, you can sleep for free, they give you a bed, and it's still free even after the Inn staff returns, so if you want to rest for free and save anything from 12 to 40 coins, grab that warp point.

Hippo

Also, if you manage to get your tension to 100, in conjunction with Oomph and the Hand of God skill, you can one hit kill nearly every boss in the game.

THE MOAR YOU KNOW.

KonohaShinobi

Quote from: Hippo on July 21, 2010, 12:04:02 PM
Also, if you manage to get your tension to 100, in conjunction with Oomph and the Hand of God skill, you can one hit kill nearly every boss in the game.

THE MOAR YOU KNOW.

Yeah, I'm surprised setting up tension is so easy. It only uses up like 4 turns, and the amount it multiplies the attack power is a little ridiculous. I've been using Egg On and Psyche to tension up my martial artist when the situation calls, only about 35 hours in.

Hippo

July 21, 2010, 12:12:52 PM #33 Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 12:29:46 PM by Hippo
Quote from: KonohaShinobi on July 21, 2010, 12:09:44 PM
Yeah, I'm surprised setting up tension is so easy. It only uses up like 4 turns, and the amount it multiplies the attack power is a little ridiculous. I've been using Egg On and Psyche to tension up my martial artist when the situation calls, only about 35 hours in.

I'm pretty sure Arnamentalist or whatever has a tension upping ability as well, but that class kinda sucks in my opinion, so I haven't dabbled in it that much.  Regardless, the post-game is pretty fucking awesome, I love GROTTO GRINDAN.

Here's some useful stuff:

Alchemy Guide:
[spoiler]http://www.ualberta.ca/~fqureshi/DQ9AlchemyRecipeGuide.txt[/spoiler]
Beast/Monster Guide:
[spoiler]http://www.ualberta.ca/~fqureshi/DQ9Bestiary.txt[/spoiler]
World Map with item locations:
[spoiler]http://i25.tinypic.com/21eyz36.jpg[/spoiler]

KonohaShinobi

Heh, that's all pretty useful, knew about the alchemy guide but not the other two. Editing the front page might as well make it a DQIX discussion thread.

I have been switching my mage to the new classes, unlocking Arnamentalist soon so she'll be exposed, pretty much need my Martial Artist , Warrior, and Priest unless a better healing class shows up.

Hippo

Quote from: KonohaShinobi on July 21, 2010, 12:37:10 PM
Heh, that's all pretty useful, knew about the alchemy guide but not the other two. Editing the front page might as well make it a DQIX discussion thread.

I have been switching my mage to the new classes, unlocking Arnamentalist soon so she'll be exposed, pretty much need my Martial Artist , Warrior, and Priest unless a better healing class shows up.

Sage is a great balance between mage and priest. I recently switched my priest to one, and it still has the ability to heal competently while dealing damage at the same time. Also:

>Kill liquid metal slime
>The liquid metal slime dropped a treasure chest! It contains an agility ring!
>Kyla managed to steal an agility ring!

Everythingwentbetterthanexpected.jpg

Go Up