Games you try to get into because they're supposedly great but you just can't

Started by Samus Aran, May 23, 2010, 06:31:52 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

YPrrrr

Quote from: Nyerp on May 26, 2010, 04:11:49 AM
uh you get stars for completing levels
Yeah but the only thing stars are good for is unlocking more levels so you can earn more stars.

C.Mongler

Quote from: fluxus on May 25, 2010, 04:56:18 PM
I just can't get passed to opening scene in New York.

It's just boring and then I quit. Apparently it becomes the best game ever after that though.

no i mean i understand why you cant get into deus ex, mostly because I can't either because there's so much shit you need to learn and stuff, but galaxy isn't that hard to learn or just pick up and play

strongbad

Quote from: YPR on May 26, 2010, 01:15:51 AM
I like something that will grab my attention and reward me for completing levels... Mario Galaxy doesn't really give me any incentive beyond just playing the levels for the sake of playing levels. I dunno maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance... It's not that I dislike it, it just gets put on the back burner to everything else

This is exactly how I feel and it kinds of sucks since it is an awesome game.

Samus Aran

Quote from: YPR on May 26, 2010, 01:15:51 AM
I like something that will grab my attention and reward me for completing levels... Mario Galaxy doesn't really give me any incentive beyond just playing the levels for the sake of playing levels.

does that apply to all games, even older platformers where you simply play the game because the levels themselves are fun? because it'd be pretty sad if you couldn't even enjoy super mario world or something.

YPrrrr

Quote from: Lain on May 26, 2010, 04:18:32 PM
does that apply to all games, even older platformers where you simply play the game because the levels themselves are fun? because it'd be pretty sad if you couldn't even enjoy super mario world or something.
Sort of... I really liked them when I was younger because it was new and so captured captured my imagination far more than the upteenth iteration of the series. But yeah I never got past like world 6 in any of them. Only Mario game I've beaten is 64 because that was my first console.

For some reason I do enjoy portable mario games a lot more though

ME##

Not a specific game, but MMORPGs are hard to get into in general.  Giant time and money wasters if you ask me.

Wrench

Quote from: DAVID DOWNER on May 26, 2010, 05:33:11 PM
Not a specific game, but MMORPGs are hard to get into in general.  Giant time and money wasters if you ask me.

dude runescape is the shiznit

Kalahari Inkantation

ME##

Another non-genre, but games that take forever to actually start up.  If it takes more than an hour to where I actually get to do anything worthwhile, you better believe that I'm putting it down and never picking it up again.

Quote from: Wrench on May 26, 2010, 09:07:41 PM
dude runescape is the shiznit

Well, that does take care of the money portion.  n_u

Thyme

Quote from: DAVID DOWNER on May 27, 2010, 07:14:32 PM
Another non-genre, but games that take forever to actually start up.  If it takes more than an hour to where I actually get to do anything worthwhile, you better believe that I'm putting it down and never picking it up again.

Stay away from Persona 4. n_u And I'm guessing you haven't tried Heavy Rain either yet?

ME##

Quote from: Thyme on May 27, 2010, 07:38:29 PM
Stay away from Persona 4. n_u And I'm guessing you haven't tried Heavy Rain either yet?

Not yet. :(

I want to, I just need to finish up FFXIII.  n_u

Thyme

Quote from: DAVID DOWNER on May 27, 2010, 08:21:13 PM
I want to, I just need to finish up FFXIII.  n_u

And you dare say you avoid games that take too long to start up? n_u

ME##

Quote from: Thyme on May 27, 2010, 08:22:56 PM
And you dare say you avoid games that take too long to start up? n_u

There are exceptions to the rule.  baddood;

Thyme

ME##

Quote from: Thyme on May 27, 2010, 09:09:03 PM
It's hard to tell with you. :(

I would say a portion of it is my general interest in the game/game series, and then another is how interesting the beginning hour itself is.

[spoiler]I actually was excited about Person 3, but beyond the intro, it fell flat on its face in terms of actually being interesting. myface; [/spoiler]

Go Up