September 12, 2024, 03:00:00 AM

1,531,311 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

The Clash

Started by sans culottes, June 05, 2009, 05:40:00 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

sans culottes

Right now, I've been listening to a lot of this.

The Clash is my favorite band right now. Who else loves 'em?
I support BUSH

Hiro

Det in F♯ Major

Quote from: Khadafi on February 02, 2011, 03:17:34 PM
BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW

Wrench

I really like them. In fact, I was just listening to Guns of Brixton no more than 5 minutes ago.

sans culottes

Quote from: Wrench on June 05, 2009, 08:25:42 PM
I really like them. In fact, I was just listening to Guns of Brixton no more than 5 minutes ago.

One of my favorite Clash tunes. One of the best on London Calling, but I prefer Rudie Can't Fail.
I support BUSH

Samus Aran

They're a great band, or at least they were at their height, but they're one of those bands that put out a hell of a lot more mediocre stuff than great stuff, if you ask me. So yeah, a couple albums are worth owning for anyone who's into that kind of music, but most of them are for Clash purists.

And, for the record, London Calling still fails to amaze me. It's great, but I was sorely disappointed considering how many people rave over it like it's the best thing music has ever offered to mankind. Then again, I'm not too much into punk, even early punk, anyway.

sans culottes

London Calling? Punk? Hardly.

The first time I heard London Calling, I wasn't very impressed. After a few more listens, I realized how amazing it is. The last Clash album, which was really just a Joe Strummer solo record, was pretty awful. All of the other albums were excellent, London Calling and Sandinista especially.
I support BUSH

Samus Aran

Quote from: coz on June 05, 2009, 10:41:09 PM
London Calling? Punk? Hardly.

While not blatantly obvious, yes, it is a punk album I assure you. Just like other genres, punk has changed over the ages, but it used to sound like that when it came to The Clash.

Slim

Their first album is their best one. ;)
Quote from: Snowy Deluxe on July 07, 2011, 04:05:09 PM
Hey look I'm Slim and I act like an asshole because it makes me cool! Right guys?

sans culottes

Quote from: Kaz on June 06, 2009, 12:32:28 AM
While not blatantly obvious, yes, it is a punk album I assure you. Just like other genres, punk has changed over the ages, but it used to sound like that when it came to The Clash.

I'd still say it's a matter of them changing, not the genre changing. While a couple of songs on London Calling, like the title track, could be called punk, it's got a great variety. They strongly incorporate jazz and reggae and other genres into the album. Punk is loud, simple, and aggressive. Their first album is that, but London Calling is not.
I support BUSH

Samus Aran

Quote from: coz on June 06, 2009, 09:41:16 AM
I'd still say it's a matter of them changing, not the genre changing. While a couple of songs on London Calling, like the title track, could be called punk, it's got a great variety. They strongly incorporate jazz and reggae and other genres into the album. Punk is loud, simple, and aggressive. Their first album is that, but London Calling is not.

Oh, that's what you meant. Well, yes, London Calling is a bit more of a smorgasbord, but I'd say it's still dominantly punk, if you were going to label it to any one genre.

sans culottes

Post-punk, maybe, but alternative in general is a better fit. The point is: whether or not you like punk is irrelevant to the Clash. Their first two albums were punk, but they have a unique sound. Now go listen to White Man in Hammersmith Palais, that song's just too good to not like.
I support BUSH

YPrrrr

They've been my favorite band for a good while now. I can't think of one song of theirs that I currently have that I would be willing to skip when it comes up on shuffle. I'm currently listening to the Combat Rock album

Go Up