June 16, 2024, 05:06:58 AM

1,531,265 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Do You Believe in God?

Started by Daddy, April 16, 2007, 04:13:26 PM

previous topic - next topic

Do you believe in God?

Yes.
63 (38.7%)
No.
66 (40.5%)
I'm not sure
34 (20.9%)

Total Members Voted: 147

Go Down

Bolivian Army

I'm an optimistic artistic rationalistic young traditionalistic  baddood;

Donate now to the Guff Is Great foundation. baddood;

Hippopo

Quote from: guff on February 14, 2009, 08:51:48 PM
not really no though i am a bit miffed about how i ran out of poptarts  akudood;

You're kidding.. Right?  The universe is extremely complex, and if you think about it, it makes little sense.  doodhuh;

how do you know that  baddood;

It's true.  One day we MIGHT know.

humans are fallible, but that's why we've got peer review and the requirement for reproducible results baddood;

But does this still produce TRUTH?  Remember, majority doesn't doesn't always equal truth. This is true even in "scientific settings."

And even with "reproducible results," there is still the chance for change.  Even in the simplest experiments, we must never jump to conclusions.

maybe you've watched too many movies  baddood;

Or Coz is right....  How would you know?

you could kidnap one and perform a dna test sure you'd probably have to do it yourself since their testing technology could just be part of the trick but it's doable  baddood;

but more seriously it's not the business of science to disprove claims that are offered without evidence

But he'd be using "alien" technology if he's the only human around.  Therefore, it could be a giant illusion of facts.  In order to see the truth, he'd have to do everything himself, and that includes relearning everything from a personal standpoint.  :3

It is science's task to understand nature using the natural world (AKA not supernatural).

So, it could be science's task to disprove claims if it accelerates the understanding of the natural world.

--------

In short, GOOD JOB COZ!

Another open-minded philosopher is in our midsts. :3

guff

Quote from: Monsieur Pamplemousse on February 23, 2009, 04:00:08 PM
You're kidding.. Right?  The universe is extremely complex, and if you think about it, it makes little sense.  doodhuh;
individual elements might be hard to explain but as a whole i don't see what's nonsensical about it  doodhuh;

But does this still produce TRUTH?  Remember, majority doesn't doesn't always equal truth. This is true even in "scientific settings."
okay but the point is that if the minority was right they've got a surefire way to demonstrate it
And even with "reproducible results," there is still the chance for change.  Even in the simplest experiments, we must never jump to conclusions.
if the results are reproducible and the experiment is sound then the result will not change by definition
Or Coz is right....  How would you know?
because higher life forms with that sort of technology would consider arguing for new-age mysticism a complete waste of time  n_u
But he'd be using "alien" technology if he's the only human around.  Therefore, it could be a giant illusion of facts.  In order to see the truth, he'd have to do everything himself, and that includes relearning everything from a personal standpoint.  :3
then maybe he should get off their internet
It is science's task to understand nature using the natural world (AKA not supernatural).
what supernatural
So, it could be science's task to disprove claims if it accelerates the understanding of the natural world.
alright good idea i demand science prove that i am not a sentient turnip baddood;

Nyerp

i believe everyone around me is a soviet spy omg i'm a great open-minded philosopher :O

Hippopo

February 25, 2009, 06:59:26 PM #814 Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 07:03:14 PM by Monsieur Pamplemousse
Quote from: Nyerp on February 23, 2009, 07:25:33 PM
i believe everyone around me is a soviet spy omg i'm a great open-minded philosopher :O
Immaturity beams in this thread.  How nice.  giggle;

And he's an open-mind philosopher because he's actually able to question the thoughts of society without jumping to conclusions.  n_u

Nyerp

Travis

I don't really believe in God. It seems to me that religion in general was started centuries ago to provide answers to then unexplainable questions.

guff

Quote from: Monsieur Pamplemousse on February 25, 2009, 06:59:26 PM
Immaturity beams in this thread.  How nice.  giggle;

And he's an open-mind philosopher because he's actually able to question the thoughts of society without jumping to conclusions.  n_u
actually it seems you think he's an open-minded philosopher because he has worldviews similar to yours  cnotedood;

Hippopo

February 26, 2009, 12:43:09 PM #818 Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 12:47:36 PM by Monsieur Pamplemousse
Quote from: guff on February 26, 2009, 11:31:57 AM
actually it seems you think he's an open-minded philosopher because he has worldviews similar to yours  cnotedood;
Actually, we have differing opinions, but the logic he uses is similar to mine, yes.

Have you even taken a course in Philosophy?  Maybe a critical thinking or a logic course?  If you did, you'd find that many philosophers use to same line of thought as both of us....

Bolivian Army

Quote from: Monsieur Pamplemousse on February 26, 2009, 12:43:09 PM
Have you even taken a course in Philosophy?

yes  baddood;

If you did, you'd find that many philosophers use to same line of thought as both of us....

yeah well a lot dont too  baddood;

j o e i n c

there could be a god

there also couldn't

i don't know

guff

logic
yup n_u

but even if i hadn't, i'd still know that you're committing the fallacy of burden of proof  baddood;

FAMY2

I don't think logic and faith go together.   doodhuh;

Bolivian Army

I know a Christian who's pretty good at chess.  baddood;

Classic

Quote from: FAMY2 on February 27, 2009, 06:35:37 AM
I don't think logic and faith go together.   doodhuh;

They don't. It's all by blind faith that a person would worship a higher being.

Go Up