September 20, 2024, 08:28:08 AM

1,531,318 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

3D Zelda dungeons, because I'm bored

Started by Samus Aran, May 17, 2009, 06:45:42 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

List your five favorite and your five least favorite. Bonus points if you say why they're on your lists, instead of being lazy. By the way, I went with 3D Zeldas only because the limitations of the 2D Zeldas ended up creating a lot of dungeons that were hardly any different from one another, and most of them aren't particularly exciting or difficult. Plus I haven't played Phantom Hourglass but feel free to rant about the Temple of the Ocean King if you want.

First, favorites:

5.) Lakebed Temple: I like this more than any other water level in the Zelda franchise, but really, this is only just a little better than both the Water Temple and Great Bay Temple. I like this setup more, with the waterwheels and stair-spinning. I also really appreciated the return of those little shield-headed guys from aLttP. The boss kinda sucked though. But then again, I never liked Morpha or Gyorg either.

4.) Earth Temple: While the Wind Temple has the better boss (Molgera), everything else about the Earth Temple is cooler if you ask me. The weird didgeridoo music is a lovely touch, but what I like the most is the focus on mirror shield puzzles. I've always loved those kinds of puzzles (another reason for me to love Stone Tower). Oh, plus the enemies...I enjoy the focus on undead enemies, because those are some of the coolest in Wind Waker, especially the Stalfos.

3.) Forest Temple: Weird music, Poe sisters, the motherfucking bow, and PHANTOM GANON. Also I love the puzzles in this one...the block pushing one and the spinning room. Oh, and the twisting corridor of course.

2.) Shadow Temple: I guess I just love this place because it's so weird. Speaking walls, invisible shit everywhere, guillotines, and the river of the dead. Plus I love that you get to fight Stalfos on that ship, and Bongo Bongo is one of the coolest bosses in the whole series. I don't remember how the music goes though so it must not be that great.

1.) Stone Tower: It should be easy to figure out why this dungeon is so awesome. Has there ever been a Zelda dungeon as unique as this one? The dungeon flipping is one hell of an awesome feature, it's got tougher enemies (those floating Armos things), you get to fight both of the best minibosses (the Garo leader and the bat reaper dude) in MM, and you even get two treasures. Admittedly, the boss of the dungeon isn't that great...but the music in Stone Tower sure kicks ass. Oh, and the puzzles! Mirror shield, yay.

Least favorites:

5.) Jabu Jabu's Belly: I never really liked this place. It's got a mildly interesting design, but its enemies annoy the hell out of me and destroying giant "tails" is pretty dull. I'm glad that you get the boomerang, but nothing else about this dungeon is really interesting if you ask me...especially not Ruto herself, who is definitely just an annoyance.

4.) Tower of the Gods: The King of Red Lions moves slowly as hell, and leading statues around is not exactly my ideal concept for a dungeon. There's nothing totally horrible about this dungeon, it's just that it's boring as hell.

3.) Temple of Time: Wow...the Temple of Time! Exciting, right? NOPE. Dominion Rod mostly sucks, and everything in here is easy as hell...in fact, this might be the shortest dungeon in TP. So why is it one of the last ones? Also, Armaghoma sucks.

2.) Snowpeak Ruins: Holy jesus, those guys with the ice spears...and those fucking sliding ice monsters. And the white wolfos! Every enemy in here is annoying as hell, really. The only upsides to this dungeon are how weird it is (I mean, it's a giant house) and the cool ball & chain weapon. And holy shit, the ending boss sucks ASS.

1.) Palace of Twilight: I don't think any Zelda moment ever bored me as much as this pathetic excuse for a dungeon. Oh boy, a shiny Master Sword. Zant's hologram is not a particularly interesting miniboss, but Zant himself is a pretty cool fight. But what irks me most about this place is getting the sol away from wall masters...tedious, boring shit, right there. And the whole place is just designed in a really boring way, and the fog is nothing more than an annoyance of course.

Feel free to berate me for my lists, by the way.

Tomboh

one of my favorite temples is the temple in the sky because its cool how different parts of the temple arent even connected and how its all high flying and stuff. also the dragon boss is cool and is fun to play

also the temple with medli (earth temple i think?) is cool despite the fact you have to fucking babysit medli the whole temple. the puzzles requiring two people and light reflecting stuff was cool even tho the boss was boring

a temple i dislike would include mostly every temple in PH because they were all incredibly short and easy and if i remember correctly you have to like, fucking carry the big key to the door. you cant put it in your inventory which is stupid and annoying

also my favorite temple ever was the 2D ice temple in alttp because it had a really cool puzzle in the end where in order to get past this one part you have to do the red/blue swtich thing and then go through like 15 fucking past rooms or something which was cool because you actually had to think about it

PS: i agree with all your picks except for the shadow temple, which i thought was annoying as hell what with the fucking wall masters and guillotines that bring you back to the beginning of the room and also the hover boots which are annoying to use

The artist formally known

May 17, 2009, 10:45:41 PM #2 Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 10:53:08 PM by reefer
Palace of Twilight was okay, but yeah I'd agree, one of the worst. Just a lot of crap obstacles I have to jump around. Not too many enemies or anything hard, and those birds that walk on walls and crap are sooooooo lame.

My 2D dungeon list:
Favorite: All the dungeons in Link to the Past
Least Favorite: All the dungeons in Phantom Hourglass

Go Up