October 02, 2024, 11:25:49 AM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Music protection bullshit on CDs

Started by Samus Aran, January 31, 2009, 08:33:02 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

I was just browsing Amazon and was thinking of getting Kasabian's debut album...and it seems as if I've finally encountered a monster that lots have complained about but I had never experienced myself.

Excerpts of reviews on the album:

QuoteI liked this band's music so I made the mistake of buying the CD in a store - where only the copyright protected version is available. I FEEL LIKE I AM BEING PUNISHED FOR ACTUALLY BUYING THE CD. Because of compatibility issues between the software and Apple I am unable to transfer the music to iTunes (on my Windows based computer) and to my iPod without first handing over my personal information in order to get instructions on how to do this from the BMG website. I respected your copyright and bought your CD. I shouldn't have to jump through hoops too.

QuoteCopy protected CDs place malicious software on your PC. Do not buy this software!

QuoteI can't even comment on the music on this CD--I'm sure that if it had been on a normally functioning CD, I would have loved it. But my experience has been brusquely hijacked by Sony's stunningly crude "copy protection" scheme, which insists that you "enjoy" the CD in an inescapably fullscreen (or absolutely invisible) application with--apart from a cheezy Windows Media plugin--two controls: "minimize" and "close".

Have you ever had to deal with copy protection on CDs? I'm going to have to pass on the album for now because I'll have to find it in a store where I can read the packaging to see if it's copy protected, or something. What bullshit.

Hiro

Samus Aran

Quote from: Forest Hiro on January 31, 2009, 08:41:40 PM
i never had that prob with the CD  doodthing;

It apparently was only released that way "in some regions," so you might have been lucky to get a good version of it.

Also, this protection bullshit is a couple years old, so if it has been re-released after about 2006 or so, you could probably find unprotected versions. But Amazon doesn't seem to sell them.

Hiro

Quote from: Kaz on January 31, 2009, 08:43:01 PM
It apparently was only released that way "in some regions," so you might have been lucky to get a good version of it.

Also, this protection bullshit is a couple years old, so if it has been re-released after about 2006 or so, you could probably find unprotected versions. But Amazon doesn't seem to sell them.
oh ok thumbup;

russell

The only time I've experienced something like that was with the same album you're talking about, which I bought when it came out. Fucking stupid. One of the many reasons I don't buy Sony BMG shit.

Go Up