August 21, 2024, 04:25:19 AM

1,531,287 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Works of art that have changed you

Started by Lozal, January 03, 2009, 03:01:58 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Lozal

Any type of art (music, paintings, books, etc.) can change you, and you can discuss these here.

The album Mechanical Animals by Marilyn Manson changed me. The lyrics opened me up to realizing that the world isn't safe and drugs corrupt a society. It's a very deep album, as Manson is a very intelligent man. Regardless of if you like the music or not, it's a deep and thought-provoking album.

Of course, the books Brave New World and 1984 have changed me, but I talk about them so often that I feel as if I don't have a need to explain again.
powerofone; powerofone; powerofone; powerofone; powerofone;

Quote from: Pyrate on November 20, 2009, 05:11:08 AM

"You have an amazing body. You have amazing breasts."

Selkie

This Binary Universe basically showed me that the greatest things in life are either least expensive and/or least complicated.

There are no lyrics, so really nothing to actually think about. It is just music, and it proves that music can speak volumes. Also, all the small, insignificant sounds in it are truly the most enjoyable. It basically just defines my idea of life.

russell

Reading Fyodor Dostoevsky's novels (most of them) and his collection-o-letters Notes From The Underground, as well as Camus's and Sartre's major works, pretty much set me down the intellectual path I'm on now (without Dostoevsky's more religious bits).

I can't really think of any movies that have profoundly changed me... definitely some, like American Beauty or... can't think of others at the moment... I've identified with exactly, and when Six Feet Under was done I felt an emotional void in my life, but that's probably just because it was written extremely well.

Oh, Thomas Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow was pretty outlook-changing, too. I don't know if it would be for anyone else, and I didn't take anything specific from the book.

Music is the same as movies, I gravitate toward certain things in certain moods; it doesn't create the moods

Go Up