April 27, 2024, 09:08:20 PM

1,531,646 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

league of legends

Started by Ezloﺕ, June 23, 2016, 01:20:57 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

Quote from: C.Mongler on May 05, 2017, 12:12:28 PM
it does for sure but it's also what makes them way more intricate and deep than any other genre of competitive games out there. they're way more exciting and dynamic to watch than anything i've seen; even some of the best CS:GO, Smash, or Street Fighter matches I've seen don't hold a candle to the excitement I feel watching a halway decent DotA match. i don't know how you could make it more learnable without also sacrificing a fuck ton of depth. i mean i guess HotS did it to an extent, but that game does lack a lot of the depth that LoL and DotA has lel

i think this is just a byproduct to you playing DotA more than any other game you mentioned. id say the same think about melee but that is just because i have a deep understanding of the game that only comes with thousands of hours of playtime and watching (like you and dota)

C.Mongler

i mean obviously the more you input into smash the more you get out of it and the deeper of an understand you will have, like literally anything. and of course there are different skill tiers at everything. a 15-year-old on his third season of recreational soccer wont be able to hang with cristiano ronaldo, like duh that's a given

what i'm more getting at is those things i listed have a lower baseline than mobas do. you can't even begin to have fun or understand what's happening in a moba without tens to hundreds of hours of playtime; not only that but core concepts of the genre aren't even cross-game compatible in most cases. i can hand controllers to two people who have never played smash before but have some limited knowledge of video game/fighting game concepts, and they can probably have a decently fun time after 30 minutes to an hour, if not on their very first match. can they hang with the pros? no, of course not, but they can play on their own terms and understand the absolute basics. if i were to hook up 10 people who have some limited knowledge of video game/RTS game concepts in a LAN cafe on League or Dota for the first time, they wouldn't know what the fuck is going on. they would probably get frustrated, bored, and/or want to give up pretty quickly. that feeling gets exponentially worse once you mix people in who have even slightly different skill levels than you do.

also i jsut realized i was replying to a different quote than i originally thought i was so this basically is irrelevant and doesn't have a point, BUT I ALREADY TYPED IT DAMMIT so posting anyway  happydood;

Go Up