September 28, 2024, 04:25:56 PM

1,531,324 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

I got it

Started by Selkie, May 15, 2008, 02:42:06 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Selkie

May 15, 2008, 02:42:06 PM Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 09:57:25 PM by reefer
I got my new CD from half.com today. I love the feeling of seeing a brown package in the mailbox.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

I only listened once so far, listening for the second time now. And already it is pretty high on my list. We will see where it lands after a handful of listens.

Snorkel

It's pretty much just about the best album that exists.

Did you get that on my recommendation, or just randomly?

The only bad thing about it is that it makes all their other albums sound like shit, except the first one, which is only a little bit worse.

Selkie

Quote from: Snorkel on May 15, 2008, 03:21:23 PM
It's pretty much just about the best album that exists.

Did you get that on my recommendation, or just randomly?

The only bad thing about it is that it makes all their other albums sound like shit, except the first one, which is only a little bit worse.

I actually got it on your recommendation. I trust your music taste Snorkel

And I haven't heard any of their other albums, but I heard In Bocca Al Lupo is incredible, even better than this one.

Also, it just keeps climbing on my list. it's definitely at least in the top 10-15, and that's only after 2 listens.

Snorkel

Quote from: Selkie224 on May 15, 2008, 04:34:16 PM
I actually got it on your recommendation. I trust your music taste Snorkel

Thanks

And I haven't heard any of their other albums, but I heard In Bocca Al Lupo is incredible, even better than this one.

Really? That's odd. I guess it depends what you like; a lot of people have liked the most recent two albums for the more regular structure and alt-country feel... some people just don't like the dark concept album thing. I like it, of course, because it's musical genius, and I definitely wouldn't put In Bocca Al Lupo anywhere near it. Red of Tooth & Claw has some good tracks, but in my opinion Who Will Survive is by far and away their best

Also, it just keeps climbing on my list. it's definitely at least in the top 10-15, and that's only after 2 listens.

yeah it's pretty cook

Selkie

I think the thing is the fact that I like albums with extremely strong and visible atmospheres. And this obviously has a really solid western and dark feel, which is so awesome.

Snorkel

Quote from: Selkie224 on May 15, 2008, 04:41:55 PM
I think the thing is the fact that I like albums with extremely strong and visible atmospheres. And this obviously has a really solid western and dark feel, which is so awesome.

Yeah, that's exactly what I love about it too. You might look into Kid Dakota (specifically The West Is The Future) if you want more good Western-influenced music, however they're far less complex... still good, though.

Selkie

Quote from: Snorkel on May 15, 2008, 04:50:20 PM
Yeah, that's exactly what I love about it too. You might look into Kid Dakota (specifically The West Is The Future) if you want more good Western-influenced music, however they're far less complex... still good, though.

I will definitely look into it

thanks

sans culottes

In Bocca al Lupo is brilliant, my favorite MbD album.

I will definitely agree that Who Will Survive is their masterpiece, it goes together great as an album. But if I just wanna hear a good song for a few minutes, In Bocca's got some great individual songs like Sometimes The Line Walks You and Boy Decide.

Red of Tooth and Claw is just alright. The vocals ruin a lot of the songs.

I don't have the first MbD album, but I should get it.
I support BUSH

Placebo Headwound

Quote from: Co-Z on May 18, 2008, 07:15:41 PM
Red of Tooth and Claw is just alright. The vocals ruin a lot of the songs.
I actually quite liked the vocals. :'(

sans culottes

They were okay on some.

But Goin' Home made me rage.
I support BUSH

Snorkel

The vocals on the last two albums have definitely gotten far too throaty and overdone to be half as good as Who Will Survive, in my opinion... that album is just so beautifully dark and mellow. I suppose they couldn't keep doing albums like that, and I'm not saying the others are bad, but at least In Bocca Al Lupo had The Devil Drives and Steam Rising, and Red of Tooth & Claw has Theme and Rum Brave... which means they're not a band like Weezer who has gone crazy and completely forgotten how to make good music.

And yeah, definitely get the first album. It's like the prequel to Who Will Survive, and really would be just as good if it had more focus and didn't have a couple not-so-good songs. Those Who Left and Those Who Stayed are two of their best songs to date, though.

The artist formally known

I'm listening to Until Morale Improves, The Beatings Will Continue.

Weird because my mom just got this huge pirate banner that says the exact same thing just today. I like it

sans culottes

I've enjoyed the vocals on In Bocca Al Lupo. I don't see too much wrong with them.
I support BUSH

Go Up