June 26, 2024, 12:04:26 AM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

I have made my decision...

Started by Selkie, June 10, 2011, 08:44:12 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Selkie

Guys, I am going to strive to become a doctor. I am kind of behind right now, as a junior undergrad with no experience hours and just decent grades, but I believe I can pick it all up within the next year.

My whole life I have kind of just let things happen, never really working for anything I've truly wanted, or taking any sort of risks. I feel like my calling is coming around the bend, and I feel like this is it.

I've thought about doing physical therapy, or maybe becoming an EMT for a year or 2 out of college then becoming a physician assistant, but I feel like if I am going to go for something like this, I'm going to go for it all.

Anyone have any thoughts/similar situations?

Travis

Hiro

snoorkel

awesome if you actually really want to do it, but medical edugakuns is many years of long, hard, total memorization and most adults I've known who felt it was their life's calling to become a doctor ended up doing something completely different by age 32

but that's the same for every similar profession I guess

Socks

June 10, 2011, 10:00:45 PM #4 Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 10:11:05 PM by Socks
Why is this your calling? Most actual doctors and doctor wannabes that I have known tended to be general assholes and self centered ego freaks. They hide behind the money and prestige all of their undesirable little tendencies and lifelong uncertainty. The self sacrifice bullshit and hard work bit is nothing but a gimmick. Strive for and achieve your dream if this is it, but compassionately and totally for humanity, otherwise just straight out admit you're rank and file with the stale old shit. There is no merit without morality. All the best to you and the pile you land upon and keep.

applesauce

That is the opposite of the three doctors I know personally.

Two of them run a nonprofit parenthood clinic and the other is one of the quietest, yet most interesting and intelligent people I have ever met.

silvertone

The doctors that sew me up after I cut myself open have free saturdays for poor people once a month.

Mando Pandango

Quote from: Socks on June 10, 2011, 10:00:45 PM
Why is this your calling? Most actual doctors and doctor wannabes that I have known tended to be general assholes and self centered ego freaks. They hide behind the money and prestige all of their undesirable little tendencies and lifelong uncertainty. The self sacrifice bullshit and hard work bit is nothing but a gimmick. Strive for and achieve your dream if this is it, but compassionately and totally for humanity, otherwise just straight out admit you're rank and file with the stale old shit. There is no merit without morality. All the best to you and the pile you land upon and keep.
One of the nicest people I know, and coincidentally the hardest working person I know, is currently pre-med. Totally genuine.

He's also a hell of a guitar player so it's a shame he won't have time to jam with me anymore once he's an intern.
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

Socks

In my defense, the ones I spoke of are primarily females.

Nyerp

Hippopo

LOL

My prediction:  Spring semester you'll back out again.

Seriously though, just don't.  You've wavered too much in your UNDERGRAD years.  If you don't know, don't do it until you do.  You have such a long time to decide.  SUCH A LONG TIME. 

On a side note, you've followed my pattern completely.  I went back into pre-med my junior year too (only to drop it by spring).

me003

Quote from: Selkie on June 10, 2011, 08:44:12 PM
I am kind of behind right now

NO CHANCE. No room for the weak.

i kid
Quote from: reefer on November 29, 2007, 11:32:08 PM
No offense to her but she kinda doesn't know crap about shit

Go Up