May 05, 2024, 03:38:55 AM

1,531,620 Posts in 46,727 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Recently purchased, played & beaten

Started by reeper, November 08, 2007, 01:43:56 AM

previous topic - next topic

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

beat Mario 64, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, and the dlc for Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

Mario 64 is still pretty fucking good but the damn camera is still the biggest obstacle in the game. Also launching Bowser into the spike bombs is a lot harder than I remember. The levels in the upper floors of the castle are pretty hit or miss, Tall Tall Mountain might be my favorite, and Tiny Huge Island being my least favorite.

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze was pretty good. Really kind of felt like more of the same from the wii game, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just felt stale in some places.

The DLC for Fire Emblem is kind of bogus. Doesn't really add too much besides new characters (two that are OP and broken and two that are fucking useless) and explores the area underneath Garreg Mach that one of the NPCs hints at. The boss fight was pretty ok tho.

Samus Aran

ironically i feel like mario 64's "fixed" angles work better than some of the more free cameras from around the same time period (such as on ps1), as its camera doesn't USUALLY get stuck on things or go through the wall or anything goofy like that, it's just really grumpy and sometimes doesn't like the angle you want and drifts back to where it's comfortable instead. very cantankerous camera.

granted, other games came along and did things much better rather quickly, like banjo, but i still think mario 64's camera is really impressive for the time and the dev inexperience w/3d cameras, and i still think the idea of the camera literally being lakitu w/a camera is really clever

anyway, being as obsessed with the game's mechanics as i am, i felt a small need to comment on that  n_u

strongbad

i want to play more melee online because it's amazing but it hurts my hands too much sooooo

https://frame1.gg/collections/all/products/frame1-light

preordered one of these (in pink lol) which should ship late 2020. i hear it takes a few months to relearn your muscle memory from a gcn controller but i think that'll be an interesting experience in and of itself

my heart is taking me back to melee

i think this will be good for traditional fighters and maybe even platformers too

Samus Aran

So the Steam version of Guilty Gear XXAC+R is getting a rollback netcode update soon, in six days. this is really big for people who enjoy this game, myself included, although I'm a total scrub at it of course. anyway, I copped it on Steam just to be able to have the version with the best online, and because it's been so long since I've played this and I wanted to jump back in. Did some fucking around in practice mode mostly but also played through the story for May, since I don't think I ever actually finished a character's story mode in this game before. Fun stuff.

On a related note, King of Fighters '02 Ultimate Match is in rollback beta right now on Steam and from what I hear the online runs like a dream now. Might get that soon too.

strongbad

Quote from: Samus Aran on October 23, 2020, 07:00:34 PMSo the Steam version of Guilty Gear XXAC+R is getting a rollback netcode update soon, in six days. this is really big for people who enjoy this game, myself included, although I'm a total scrub at it of course. anyway, I copped it on Steam just to be able to have the version with the best online, and because it's been so long since I've played this and I wanted to jump back in. Did some fucking around in practice mode mostly but also played through the story for May, since I don't think I ever actually finished a character's story mode in this game before. Fun stuff.

On a related note, King of Fighters '02 Ultimate Match is in rollback beta right now on Steam and from what I hear the online runs like a dream now. Might get that soon too.
rollback is the coolest thing ever

that's why i'm playing melee again lol

i have always been interested in Guilty Gear. games look cool

Hiro

Quote from: Samus Aran on October 23, 2020, 07:00:34 PMOn a related note, King of Fighters '02 Ultimate Match is in rollback beta right now on Steam and from what I hear the online runs like a dream now. Might get that soon too.
I'm considering getting this too
also Guilty Gear Strive looks good

Quote from: strongbad on October 23, 2020, 10:29:25 AMi want to play more melee online because it's amazing but it hurts my hands too much sooooo

https://frame1.gg/collections/all/products/frame1-light

preordered one of these (in pink lol) which should ship late 2020. i hear it takes a few months to relearn your muscle memory from a gcn controller but i think that'll be an interesting experience in and of itself

my heart is taking me back to melee

i think this will be good for traditional fighters and maybe even platformers too
hit boxes always seemed like a meme to me so let me know how it is once you've used it a bit

strongbad

finally got the "easy" win for Spelunky 2. only took 46 hours lmao

now the real game begins baddood;

Samus Aran

for anyone who was considering it, even if they only have a passing interest in guilty gear and just want to support devs using superior rollback netcode - guilty gear xxac+r on steam is currently only $3.

strongbad

Quote from: Samus Aran on October 30, 2020, 04:31:25 PMfor anyone who was considering it, even if they only have a passing interest in guilty gear and just want to support devs using superior rollback netcode - guilty gear xxac+r on steam is currently only $3.
if i was going to get into guilty gear would that be the one to get?

wawi

bought sekiro, this is gonna be a rough time

Samus Aran

Quote from: strongbad on October 30, 2020, 05:05:44 PM
Quote from: Samus Aran on October 30, 2020, 04:31:25 PMfor anyone who was considering it, even if they only have a passing interest in guilty gear and just want to support devs using superior rollback netcode - guilty gear xxac+r on steam is currently only $3.
if i was going to get into guilty gear would that be the one to get?

i won't lie - it's a hard series to "get into." both the skill floor and skill ceilings are extremely high, it's a historically very deep and newbie-unfriendly series. but i think that even as a casual fan (like me) the series still has SO MUCH to offer.

your mileage with this one will depend on how far you want to go. some of the advanced mechanics in it are harder than later games like XRD and its other versions. and the upcoming STRIVE is simplifying things quite a bit.

but still, GGXXAC+R is THE essential "classic" Guilty Gear game. a large roster, the full breadth of the series' mechanics, and of course the usual GG stuff like incredible visual and sound design.

i highly recommend it to anyone interested, but again it sure as hell ain't easy to pick up. but that's how the series has always been (until Strive possibly). but i still think it's fun in a more casual sense too, like i'm pretty garbage at it but i still love it, and it's one of my favorite fighting games of all time. and i'd be happy to play it with anyone who's down.

strongbad

my main gaming bud moved back from australia and we have been playing a lot of SFV

very fun

Samus Aran

Quote from: strongbad on November 20, 2020, 12:21:28 PMmy main gaming bud moved back from australia and we have been playing a lot of SFV

very fun

i barely even recognize the game anymore it's changed so much lol, i was thinking about upgrading to the current version finally and playing it

strongbad

Quote from: Samus Aran on November 20, 2020, 01:49:11 PM
Quote from: strongbad on November 20, 2020, 12:21:28 PMmy main gaming bud moved back from australia and we have been playing a lot of SFV

very fun

i barely even recognize the game anymore it's changed so much lol, i was thinking about upgrading to the current version finally and playing it
i have only ever played Chun Li and it feels pretty much the same as it did a year ago lol

i've thought about upgrading but also i like Chun Li sooooo

Samus Aran

Quote from: strongbad on November 20, 2020, 04:27:32 PM
Quote from: Samus Aran on November 20, 2020, 01:49:11 PM

very fun

i have only ever played Chun Li and it feels pretty much the same as it did a year ago lol

i've thought about upgrading but also i like Chun Li sooooo

i mean i only have the vanilla version of the game lmao i'm missing like 3/4 of the roster

Go Up