April 24, 2024, 03:19:14 PM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

The Fratellis, anyone?

Started by Solar and Lunar, April 28, 2007, 07:42:46 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Solar and Lunar

Anyone here like the Scottish band The Fratellis?..I think that most new rock is crap (and it is, especially American rock) but these guys are poppy and have a style that is very slick...I was wonderin' if I have any fellow Fratelli here at Boyah...
No, I've never heard of that site. Yes, you are very cool for knowing about them. Yes, I will join as soon as possible. No, I'm not kidding. God, shut up already!

Morning_Glory

April 28, 2007, 07:45:32 PM #1 Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 07:47:43 PM by Morning_Glory
The Fratellis are pure gold, even if they do share a lot in common with the typical British indie sound.

The Fratellis, Kasabian, The Arctic Monkeys, and The Strokes need to learn how to take over American airwaves. LIKE VERY SOON.

Oh, and The Libertines need to reform and shut bands like Bloc Party the hell up.

Solar and Lunar

If bands like The Fratellis want to succeed in America, then bands like My Chemical Romance and Fall Out Boy have to SHUT THE FUCK Up, already...
No, I've never heard of that site. Yes, you are very cool for knowing about them. Yes, I will join as soon as possible. No, I'm not kidding. God, shut up already!

Morning_Glory

April 28, 2007, 08:08:05 PM #3 Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 08:16:00 PM by Morning_Glory
Quote from: Solar and Lunar on April 28, 2007, 08:03:17 PM
If bands like The Fratellis want to succeed in America, then bands like My Chemical Romance and Fall Out Boy have to SHUT THE Lawlz Up, already...

Problem is The Fratellis didn't have a good enough debut album, at least to me. All good tunes, but it felt like it was a random with no sense of order.

Another problem is a lot of Americans are thick and completely ignored the modern classics from British bands like The Libs, Kasabian, and The Monkeys. Hell, we even ignored a modern classic from a band homegrown here(The Strokes). And Bloc Party gets attention? Lawlz off MTV.

I think it's really a matter of divided music from the 90s. In America it was grunge (which is LAWLZON aside from Nirvana to me), Britain it was Brit Pop.

Anyways, my favorite tunes from The Fratellis are probably Whistle For The Choir, Flathead, and Vince The Loveable Stoner.

Solar and Lunar

Quote from: Morning_Glory on April 28, 2007, 08:08:05 PM
If bands like The Fratellis want to succeed in America, then bands like My Chemical Romance and Fall Out Boy have to SHUT THE Lawlz Up, already...

Problem is The Fratellis didn't have a good enough debut album, at least to me. All good tunes, but it felt like it was a random with no sense of order.

Another problem is a lot of Americans are thick and completely ignored the modern classics from British bands like The Libs, Kasabian, and The Monkeys. Hell, we even ignored a modern classic from a band homegrown here(The Strokes). And Bloc Party gets attention? Lawlz off MTV.

I think it's really a matter of divided music from the 90s. In America it was grunge (which is LAWLZON aside from Nirvana to me), Britain it was Brit Pop.

Costello Music, in my opinion had every single song that was great but the order was random, yes...I like The Fratellis' B-Sides (which I downloaded legally, of course!)...I feel that rock bands today don't really have any imagination apart from the cool ones like The Shins and Ambulance LTD...It's almost like gaming in a way...

Morning_Glory

April 28, 2007, 08:20:31 PM #5 Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 08:24:01 PM by Morning_Glory
Quote from: Solar and Lunar on April 28, 2007, 08:16:57 PM

Costello Music, in my opinion had every single song that was great but the order was random, yes...I like The Fratellis' B-Sides (which I downloaded legally, of course!)...I feel that rock bands today don't really have any imagination apart from the cool ones like The Shins and Ambulance LTD...It's almost like gaming in a way...

Ah, I completly forgot about B-Sides from them. I usually buy the singles from eBay if they aren't too expensive, I still need to wear out the debut to warrant buying any first though.

To be honest, I don't really mind if bands are creative or not, as long as they sound good. Example: I'd take Oasis, a band that many critics have called derivative, over Radiohead, who critics cum over. Like indie, it's nothing really new, just like new age Punk, but a lot of the bands sound good to me.

If you like The Fratellis, I suggest The Libertines. Criminally underrated in the states, the two albums they made are incredible.

Solar and Lunar

Quote from: Morning_Glory on April 28, 2007, 08:20:31 PM

Ah, I completly forgot about B-Sides from them. I usually buy the singles from eBay if they aren't too expensive, I still need to wear out the debut to warrant buying any first though.

To be honest, I don't really mind if bands are creative or not, as long as they sound good. Example: I'd take Oasis, a band that many critics have called derivative, over Radiohead, who critics cum over. Like indie, it's nothing really new, just like new age Punk, but a lot of the bands sound good to me.

If you like The Fratellis, I suggest The Libertines. Criminally underrated in the states, the two albums they made are incredible.

Many critics called JET a rip-off of other bands...I don't care though...That's the one band that came the closest to being the Classic Rock N' Roll that we all miss...

Morning_Glory

Quote from: Solar and Lunar on April 28, 2007, 08:56:20 PM

Many critics called JET a rip-off of other bands...I don't care though...That's the one band that came the closest to being the Classic Rock N' Roll that we all miss...

Jet is a great band, their second album is one of the best I've heard from last year. That's why I usually ignore critics, they don't know shit.

Solar and Lunar

Quote from: Morning_Glory on April 28, 2007, 09:01:13 PM

Jet is a great band, their second album is one of the best I've heard from last year. That's why I usually ignore critics, they don't know shit.

I don't care much for Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is but Shine on and Shiny Magazine are great songs...

Morning_Glory

April 28, 2007, 10:32:26 PM #9 Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 10:38:13 PM by Morning_Glory
Quote from: Solar and Lunar on April 28, 2007, 10:07:09 PM

Jet is a great band, their second album is one of the best I've heard from last year. That's why I usually ignore critics, they don't know LAWLZON.

I don't care much for Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is but Shine on and Shiny Magazine are great songs...

Yeah, I was really unimpressed when I heard Put Your Money... but I'm glad I bought the album. I dig Shiny Magazine, Bring It On Back, Kings Horses, and Eleanor.

Solar and Lunar

Quote from: Morning_Glory on April 28, 2007, 10:32:26 PM
Quote from: Solar and Lunar on April 28, 2007, 10:07:09 PM

Jet is a great band, their second album is one of the best I've heard from last year. That's why I usually ignore critics, they don't know LAWLZON.

Yeah, I was really unimpressed when I heard Put Your Money... but I'm glad I bought the album. I dig Shiny Magazine, Bring It On Back, Kings Horses, and Eleanor.

I was surprised at how much Eleanor and Shiny Magazine sounded like The Beatles' songs...

Morning_Glory

The whole album sounds a lot like The Beatles to me.

Go Up