Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 20, 2018, 03:14:19 AM
1,514,170 Posts in 45,341 Topics by 1,070 Members
Latest Member: zelmarl69
Boyah Forums  |  General  |  The Arts  |  2018 Reading Challenge 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2018 Reading Challenge  (Read 43 times)
Rin Hoshizora
School Idol
Manager

Offline Japan Female

Kaz

Quota: 6.67%
Doodthingocity: -195
Lüts: 3319.05

Windows NT 10.0

Chrome 63.0.3239.84

« on: January 09, 2018, 05:54:25 AM »

So, we have a thread for pushing ourselves to finish a lot of games this year. Why not one for books? Especially since I know a lot of us here use Goodreads and I expect most of us will do the usual Goodreads reading challenge thing.

So anyway, use this thread to talk about how many books you plan to try to read this year, which books you're working on now/next, etc.!

Kaz's 2018 Reading Challenge

-Goal: 20 Books
-Progress: 1/20

-Finished Reading:
  • One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (finished 1/9/18): This book rules. Kicks the shit out of the film. The whole reason this book is so damn good is because of Chief Bromden's narration, and that's entirely absent in the film so yeah.
  • The Life We Bury by Allen Eskens (finished 1/20/18): Kinda bad tbh. Local author, tho, so that's kinda neat.

-Plan to Read:
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • The Miner by Natsume Soseki
  • We by Yevgeny Zamyatin
  • The Book of Laughter and Forgetting by Milan Kundera
  • Silence by Shusaku Endo
  • A Disaffection by James Kelman
  • Even Cowgirls Get the Blues by Tom Robbins]
  • Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
  • The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien
  • Island by Aldous Huxley
  • Foundation's Edge by Isaac Asimov
  • Life After Life by Kate Atkinson
  • The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon
  • Universal Harvester by John Darnielle
  • Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut
  • Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami
  • The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
  • Spring Snow by Yukio Mishima
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 04:36:30 AM by Rin Hoshizora » Recent Track: Beyond the Grasp of Guilt - Teenage Cool Kids

bom bom bom CHING boom CHING CHING CHING boom      ts     ts ts ts ts BAM ts ts ts ts   ts ts ts ts ts BAM ts ts boom chicka boom chicka boom chicka SLAM SLAM
C.Mongler
Give Daddy Some Cookies ;)
Drosophila

Offline Korea, Democratic People's Republic of Male

C.Mongler

Quota: 4.78%
Doodthingocity: 55
Lüts: 271140.67

Windows 7

Chrome 63.0.3239.84

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 10:00:31 AM »

Sure, I wanna read a humble 12 books this year tho; considering I usually hit 1 or 2 that's a lot okay

Currently Reading:
-idk, maybe nueromancer??

Finished:

1. The Headspace Guide to Meditation and Mindfulness by Andy Puddicombe
V nice, digestible introduction to the practice of mindfulness meditation. deff recommended for anyone trying to dip their toes into it. that said, he retirates A LOT of what he writes here in the headspace app, so much so that they are basically the same thing, so i'd start with this book first.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 11:34:29 AM by C.Mongler » Recent Track: Chest & Shirt - The World Is a Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid to Die

ƕɾο
Christman

Offline Aruba

Hiro

Quota: 7.11%
Doodthingocity: -564
Lüts: 47719.00

Windows NT 10.0

Firefox 57.0

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 03:41:38 AM »

My goal should be 2 books lol, I haven't read a book since high school

1) The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami
2) ????
Recent Track: The Handshake - MGMT

Rin Hoshizora
School Idol
Manager

Offline Japan Female

Kaz

Quota: 6.67%
Doodthingocity: -195
Lüts: 3319.05

Windows NT 10.0

Chrome 63.0.3239.132

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 04:34:41 AM »

i actually just finished reading another book today. so two already this month, i'm going at a good pace.

it was Allen Eskens' The Life We Bury. Eskens is a local (as in Minneapolis) defense attorney who's now published a couple books as well. this one...wasn't very good. i don't know. i wasn't necessarily expecting it to be so amateurish lol, like it's honestly pretty poorly written and comes off as a mystery book for young teenagers. except that it deals with stuff (violent rape, murder) too mature for them. so i think it's just sloppily written and that's that. but i didn't hate reading it. sometimes it's nice to read things by local authors, and it's also nice (and reassuring) to be reminded that not everything that gets published (and enjoyed by many people) is immaculately-written
Recent Track: Beyond the Grasp of Guilt - Teenage Cool Kids

bom bom bom CHING boom CHING CHING CHING boom      ts     ts ts ts ts BAM ts ts ts ts   ts ts ts ts ts BAM ts ts boom chicka boom chicka boom chicka SLAM SLAM
reefer
Manager

Offline Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of Female

xfollowthereaperx

Quota: 1.56%
Doodthingocity: 13
Lüts: 31553.00

iOS

Safari

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 12:34:37 AM »

I’m trying to get 18 but no biggie if i don’t. Finished one and have 3 I’m juggling right now

Video games beaten - hl2b.com
Movies seen - letterboxd.com
Books read - goodreads.com
Pages: [1]
Boyah Forums  |  General  |  The Arts  |  2018 Reading Challenge « previous next »
    Jump to: