March 19, 2024, 04:17:29 AM

1,531,587 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Anybody else make pizza?

Started by jatoskep, June 12, 2017, 07:05:46 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

jatoskep

I've been on a bit of a baking kick lately which means i've got dough everywhere which means I finally started making pizzas at home again! Homemade pizza is surprisingly easy and soooo much better than anything you can get delivered.

It's not the prettiest thing in the world, but I cooked this 'za the other night topped w/ caramelized onions and bacon. God dayum it was delicious.

bonus bread pic:

strongbad

oooo that looks good

i used to with my gf a couple years ago. we should get back into it though it was lotsa fun

Kalahari Inkantation

??????

I make my little ciabattas and my little pizzas every other day because the taste is so much more preferable and I have an accurate macronutrient profile of them both

for my pizzas I let my dough rise overnight (110 grams) in oiled saran wrapping plastic
use an 8 inch cast iron, drizzle 1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil on it
don't knead the dough, just flatten it (if you start kneading it it'll won't have that crispy, yet fluffy texture anymore)
powder on a bit of garlic and salt (i cheat and just use adobe seasoning instead, just a pinch), a bit of Italian seasoning (a pinch) and layer on 1/4 cup pronta sauce

for toppings I use a cup of fresh mozzarella and heat for 450 degrees for 17 minutes
you use the cast iron as a pizza stone

when it's done you immediately add some basil leaves to it, and add 1/4 cup of Romano, provolone and Parmesan
Asiago on top so they'll melt ontop of the crispy Mozzarella

YPrrrr

I've never made the dough but that sounds and looks pretty noice

jatoskep

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on June 12, 2017, 08:03:20 PM
share recipe y/n

I usually do a no knead dough because I’m lazy and it’s ridiculously easy. Literally just stir things together in a bowl and wait.
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/jim-laheys-no-knead-pizza-dough-recipe.html
The only hard part is shaping the dough when it’s ready. It takes a little practice but look up a couple videos on people doing it and you get the hang of it after a couple pizzas. The good news is that even if you screw this part up your pizza will look like crap but still taste great.

Once you have dough ready the possibilities are endless. I make batches of this red sauce and keep a jar in the fridge. (If you don’t have a pressure cooker you can do the same thing on the stovetop it just takes longer). I’m also a big fan of white pizza and sometimes just brush some olive oil and garlic on the pizza instead of red sauce.
http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/classic-pizza-sauce-recipe/

For toppings pretty much just throw on whatever you want! Caramelized onion and bacon is one of my favorite combos to do. A friend of mine likes to make baked potato pizza which is actually crazy good. Thin sliced potatoes, crumbled up bacon, sour cream instead of cheese, and some chives on top.

Now for actually cooking the damn thing! The key to good pizza is cooking it as hot as you can. I keep a pizza stone in my oven and crank it up as high as it will go (~550) for at least 30 minutes to preheat before I throw the pizza in. If you don’t have a pizza stone you can do what...uh...the guy with the name I can’t type ... said a couple posts above, and use an upside down cast iron pan. You can also buy some tiles at Home Depot or Lowe’s and put them in the bottom of the oven as a cheap alternative. Once the oven is crazy hot I put my pizza on a peel (bought one cheap at a restaurant supply store. You can also use an upside down sheet pan), throw on the toppings, and slide the pizza in. About 5-8 minutes later depending on your oven it’ll be gooey, golden brown and beautiful and ready to take out.

I swear it’s not nearly as complicated as it sounds and it’s lots of fun! Give it a try sometime. This weekend at a friend’s birthday party another friend and I are gonna set up a grill outside and make about 20 pizzas for everybody.  We did this once before on a smaller scale (8 pizzas) and it went surprisingly well. I man the grill and cook 2 at a time while he preps the dough and tops them.

jatoskep

Quote from: اÙ,,Ù,رÙ,Ø© on June 12, 2017, 09:11:18 PM
I make my little ciabattas and my little pizzas every other day

need pizza pics!

Also tell me about these ciabattas! I love them but have never tried making any at home.

wawi

looks really good. was going to ask how you get your oven hot enough for it, but you said you use a pizza stone. Thats cool giggle;

jatoskep

Quote from: wawi on June 15, 2017, 04:17:31 PM
looks really good. was going to ask how you get your oven hot enough for it, but you said you use a pizza stone. Thats cool giggle;

Yeah the stone definitely helps. I've read a few times about people overriding the safeties on their oven and using the self-clean cycle to cook pizza (which can go up to like 800º) but I would rather not burn down my apartment.

I actually use one of these, it's a lot harder to break and easier to move around than a pizza stone. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NMLKW6Q

Hiro

those are good photos and that looks tasty

6M69I69B9

Quote from: jatoskep on June 12, 2017, 07:05:46 PM
I've been on a bit of a baking kick lately which means i've got dough everywhere which means I finally started making pizzas at home again! Homemade pizza is surprisingly easy and soooo much better than anything you can get delivered.

It's not the prettiest thing in the world, but I cooked this 'za the other night topped w/ caramelized onions and bacon. God dayum it was delicious.

bonus bread pic:

I used to bake a few years ago.

My only issue is that when kneading the dough, it comes so much harder to knead instead of it being soft- so rough that it's hard to stretch- I added water and some flour to try to make it loosen but idk.

Followed recipes exactly, too. 

Maybe I didn't activate the yeast right?  idk
Quote from: Travis on April 03, 2015, 10:52:52 PM
gotta eat the booty like groceries

Quote from: Travis on March 01, 2018, 08:44:39 PM
Quote from: reefer on March 01, 2018, 06:15:08 PM
Technology and globalism go hand and hand. If you want to be on the forefront of technology then you gotta be global

the earth is flat you globecuck

TooB

I actually used to make my own pizza often.

Maybe I should start again

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Big Goop on August 08, 2017, 05:51:08 PM

do it

post pix

we should have a boyah pizza cookoff y/n

TooB

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on August 08, 2017, 07:24:31 PM
Quote from: Big Goop on August 08, 2017, 05:51:08 PM

do it

post pix

we should have a boyah pizza cookoff y/n
based on looks alone?

Kalahari Inkantation

based on looks alone

unless you want to mail me a slice giggle;

Go Up