March 28, 2024, 09:44:55 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

new s*itphone needed

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, June 04, 2017, 12:00:25 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

June 04, 2017, 12:00:25 PM Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 12:20:48 PM by Majorana's Mask
budget: $400 - $500, maybe up to $600 but absolutely not a penny more than that

must haves:

• minimum 4gb ram (preferably 6gb)

• minimum 32gb storage

• minimum 1080p display (1080p preferred)

• minimum 5.7" display

• ips lcd, no burn in-prone oled trash

• non-terrible camera

• decent battery life

• no qualcomm processors below the 835

so far i've been looking at the huawei mate 9, and i was considering the lg v20 until i noticed its processor awdood;

hjelp me boyah

this is non-urgent, i have other expenses of higher priority so it'll be a while before i actually buy anything

meaning i have ample time to plan and compare, and maybe even await fresh new models

are there any new sh@phones on the horizon that might meet my strict criteria y/n

Hiro

sounds like you might like the oneplus 3t
also what's with all the sudden purchases akudood;

Kalahari Inkantation

none of my purchases are sudden lol, they're all things i've needed for ages

it only seems like i'm "suddenly" making purchases because, well, for a while i was near completely inactive and therefore not informing you of my purchases lol

Hiro

i mean just the last 2 days you've posted about a bunch of purchases you recently made
also august-october usually has a few solid phone releases, that's what i'm waiting for because my phone is getting more and more fucked by the day

Kalahari Inkantation

they're recent, but definitely not sudden

this phone certainly isn't a sudden desire either, i've gotten my two years of use out of my current phone and it's most definitely about time to be looking for a replacement (it's now quite buggy, unreliable and falling apart)

but i can definitely wait until august before buying

i very much like that the 3t has 6gb of ram, but otherwise it seems overpriced for what it offers judging by what i'm seeing on amzn

would i really be spending as much as $530 for one with an american warranty

Hiro

that's  actually fairly cheap for a phone with those specs and a 2-year warranty
but it's just a half-upgrade from last year's model, we'll probably be getting the oneplus 4 in just a few months

also I never said any of these were sudden desires or impulsive purchases, and you've been active recently enough to have mentioned these before. in fact, you specifically said "today" in a number of your posts. I'm not trying to say you're buying all this out of nowhere, I'm wondering how you suddenly can afford it when you also recently said you could not afford these same things

My phone model is 32 months old, with my specific one being roughly a year old (it was a warranty replacement as my other ones broke) and yeah it just freezes up constantly, camera barely if ever works, and the battery gets me through about 6 hours (of semi-regular use, not SoT which is probably closer to 2.5)

Kalahari Inkantation

June 04, 2017, 01:53:09 PM #6 Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 02:10:18 PM by Majorana's Mask
Oh, I still can't afford any of this. 5thgrade;

my current shitphone model (http://www.gsmarena.com/asus_zenfone_2_ze551ml-6917.php) is 29 months old and it'll probably be around 32 by the time i've finally replaced it

i've owned it since around august 2015, so my specific one will soon be 24mo

the battery dies spontaneously anywhere between 5% and 25%, like yours it gets about six-seven hours of regular use (but i have the screen on a lot because i'm an internet addict so it's even less than that), the chassis is cracking, it crashes on a regular basis due to ram limitations (despite having 4gb lol), and it completely disconnects from any network services (both wifi and lte/3g/2g) multiple times per day for minutes at a time seemingly at random which is truly maddening

and even when it is connected, it's often an extremely tenuous connection (you should have seen my tears when trying to skype with kaz/john during a gayming session the other night)

it's also permastuck on lagdroid 5.0, which is turrible

Hiro

i feel like the amount of ram isn't the problem with your phone lol
my phone luckily made it to 6.0 which I'm fine with
i'm hoping the next Pixel phone is worthwhile, but it'll probably be just as overpriced as the last one

Kalahari Inkantation

June 04, 2017, 03:03:22 PM #8 Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 07:56:12 PM by Majorana's Mask
Quote from: ƕɾο on June 04, 2017, 02:31:01 PM
i feel like the amount of ram isn't the problem with your phone lol

I've considered as much myself, but what else could it be? A weak CPU? befuddlement

it almost never actually reports more than ~3gb out of 4 in use at any given moment

but what else would be causing it randomly crash to homescreen in the middle of flipping through chrome tabs/other apps lol

[spoiler=i mean look at this][/spoiler]

although in that particular instance it actually is reporting over 3gb in use lol

and its cpu may be p. low-end today but it was solidly in the high mid range back in 2015

Quote from: ƕɾο on June 04, 2017, 02:31:01 PM
i'm hoping the next Pixel phone is worthwhile, but it'll probably be just as overpriced as the last one

lmao@pixl

google's sad attempt to be like apple in not a single one of the good ways, but absolutely all of the bad

the piggsl was never at any point worth more than $350

silvertone

"lmao@pixl

google's sad attempt to be like apple in not a single one of the good ways, but absolutely all of the bad

the piggsl was never at any point worth more than $350"

ex[plain , i was thinking of buying one of these  (this is google fi u speak of yas?

Kalahari Inkantation

yes, the google pixel

it was way overpriced at launch, and now considering it's eight months old it's insanely overpriced for its weak cpu and other unremarkable hardware

the software's good but that's its only major selling point

you can get absolutely something of comparable performance for less than two thirds (maybe even half) the $650 base msrp (the most expensive configuration is nearly $900 lmao)

silvertone

oh... what do u tihnk of the nexus 5x

rdl

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: SVT on June 04, 2017, 04:02:04 PM
oh... what do u tihnk of the nexus 5x

unless you can find it for like <$180, the nexus 5x's price:value ratio may actually be somehow even worse than the pixel's is

they're still charging $300 in 2017 for a phone that should have been no more than $250 in 2015

>2gb ram
>an insult of a processor
>criminally undersized battery
>horrible build quality
>random incurable bootlooping because it's a piece of lg trash

the thing is deservedly in the three-star range on both newegg and amzn (should be lower tbh)

honestly, unless you absolutely insist on having a pure android experience, i would avoid google phones altogether

the nexus phones haven't been good since the original nexus 6, and now the nexus brand is discontinued entirely lol doodthing;

what's your budget

Kalahari Inkantation

June 04, 2017, 06:07:30 PM #14 Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 06:17:09 PM by Majorana's Mask
Quote from: ADX on June 04, 2017, 04:44:12 PM
Quote from: ƕɾο on June 04, 2017, 12:34:35 PM
also what's with all the sudden purchases akudood;

how destitute exactly do you people think i am

i mean, i am poor, you're right

but random $3 trinkets on aliexpress that amount to literally tens of dollars total aren't exactly the most burdensome of expenses lol

also,

[spoiler=confession]

i don't always use the word "today" literally

some of those things were ordered a while ago lol, it's just that i'm only now getting to posting about them[/spoiler]

and finally, if you're thinking about the car, like i said, that was an extremely generous gift from a family member who upgraded, i haven't paid a penny for it girl;

Go Up