April 24, 2024, 12:35:13 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Competitive Gaming?

Started by 6M69I69B9, September 29, 2016, 07:00:41 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

6M69I69B9

Have any of you tried to get into competitive gaming in any way?

So a childhood friend and I paid $66 together to get to a local smash tourney, has about 82 registrants and probably more.  We're doing singles and dubs.  

He has a Diddy and pocket Corrin and Sonic (Sonic is his most recent, so not truly reliable yet..) and I have Luigi, Duck Hunt, and Marth.  My Marth I can space with very well and do tippers, and know some Dancing Blade I follow ups, combos, but he is a wild card because I either suck or clutch with him- consistency just isn't there, yet.  

We're practicing right now some combos with CPU's.  It's actually kinda fun.  

This will be my first irl tourney for Smash 4.

Quote from: Travis on April 03, 2015, 10:52:52 PM
gotta eat the booty like groceries

Quote from: Travis on March 01, 2018, 08:44:39 PM
Quote from: reefer on March 01, 2018, 06:15:08 PM
Technology and globalism go hand and hand. If you want to be on the forefront of technology then you gotta be global

the earth is flat you globecuck

YPrrrr

I would like to but don't have the time so I just like to beat up friends and boyagers when available

strongbad

that's cool good luck MIB. irl is way better than online

i think i am kind of over competitive melee. it was fun for a few years but i've kind of reached a plateau with my abilities and the top player worship/privileged bothered me a lot when i organized tournaments and also just witnessing it IRL.

ill prob still play with my melee friends from time to time but id like to move to other things

TooB

Aside from a couple Rock Band tourneys, not really.
I might fancy myself pretty good at most games, but as online will begin to show me, I'm not, compared to so many others.

I'll try to play people at cons and such, and sometimes I can actually do ok, but soon enough, someone comes along to give me a thrashing.

Mando Pandango

In 2009 I went to the world cyber games US finals for Guitar Hero 5. I did a couple other smaller events too.
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

Ezloﺕ

briefly for shitty valve games (TF2 and L4D). never put much effort into it cause their peak was when i was much younger/had a shitty computer.
:)

C.Mongler

not really, i'd love to for dota 2 but i'm well aware i'm shit at that game and my rotting mind won't allow me to get better anyway. i follow the competitive scene pretty closely and have been to the international a couple times.

6M69I69B9

September 29, 2016, 09:27:56 PM #7 Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 09:34:53 PM by the MIB the
Quote from: YPargh on September 29, 2016, 07:09:14 PM
I would like to but don't have the time so I just like to beat up friends and boyagers when available
message me on here or fb, im literally almost always up for games, unless im doing some academic shit or errands

i realize we haven't smashed since roy/ryu/lucas came out

Quote from: antmaster5000 on September 29, 2016, 07:21:12 PM

i think i am kind of over competitive melee. it was fun for a few years but i've kind of reached a plateau with my abilities and the top player worship/privileged bothered me a lot when i organized tournaments and also just witnessing it IRL.

ill prob still play with my melee friends from time to time but id like to move to other things
same jesus- like i was into that shit ill admit but now it just seems ridiculous after a while.  i know money has to be made in this eshit but man it must have been better with less of a following

i hate those fucking moxie posters overglorifying them.  and these documentaries redbull and lost stock legends is making.  makes me cringe.  

and thx lol kinda nervous tbh

Quote from: Pop"icl...!Pop"icl...!Pop"icl...! on September 29, 2016, 07:33:03 PM
In 2009 I went to the world cyber games US finals for Guitar Hero 5. I did a couple other smaller events too.
dang

how did it go

Technology and globalism go hand and hand. If you want to be on the forefront of technology then you gotta be global

YPrrrr

Quote from: the MIB the on September 29, 2016, 09:27:56 PM
message me on here or fb, im literally almost always up for games, unless im doing some academic shit or errands

same jesus- like i was into that shit ill admit but now it just seems ridiculous after a while.  i know money has to be made in this eshit but man it must have been better with less of a following

i hate those fucking moxie posters overglorifying them.  and these documentaries redbull and lost stock legends is making.  makes me cringe. 

Quote from: Pop"icl...!Pop"icl...!Pop"icl...! on September 29, 2016, 07:33:03 PM
dang

how did it go
I'm too out of practice to play you and too proud to get my ass kicked girl;

6M69I69B9

Quote from: YPargh on September 29, 2016, 09:29:20 PM

same jesus- like i was into that shit ill admit but now it just seems ridiculous after a while.  i know money has to be made in this eshit but man it must have been better with less of a following

i hate those fucking moxie posters overglorifying them.  and these documentaries redbull and lost stock legends is making.  makes me cringe. 

dang

how did it go
I'm too out of practice to play you and too proud to get my ass kicked girl;

lame as hell madood;

6M69I69B9

lol ypr remember when you dash attacked me with bowser against my duck hunt and the can, and you had me out of view and then the can hit me and i died

that was fuckign sick

will never forget that

tbh u were a good player

YPrrrr

Quote from: the MIB the on September 29, 2016, 09:33:29 PM
lol ypr remember when you dash attacked me with bowser against my duck hunt and the can, and you had me out of view and then the can hit me and i died

that was fuckign sick

will never forget that

tbh u were a good player
lol yeah we had some really good matches

your duck hunt and luigi tilted the hell out of me madood; madood;

Mando Pandango

i realize we haven't smashed since roy/ryu/lucas came out

and thx lol kinda nervous tbh

dang

how did it go
5th out of 9. Honestly I probably could have done better. Got a free trip to LA tho
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

6M69I69B9

man lol irl is nuts- these people know what they're doing but seem to be lacking something idk but mannnn  

almost beat a Mario w/ luigi but lol i choked on game 3, 1-2
tfw i could have been on stream if i won that match.

got knocked out by a dark pit 0-2, killed me early with a move i didn't know had such knockback

then there was a $2 second chance bracket
>beat the dark pit that knocked me out 2-1
>beat by a ganon and send to losers 0-2
>knocked out by a really good luigi 0-2

he gave me tips at the end and we had a short friendlie before going, and was very welcoming.

i was sick (wasn't when i registered wtf) and only had a few hours of sleep

i realize im not good as i thought i would be lol and man did they put me in my place

prob won't go as frequent but man am i lame irl

strongbad

Quote from: the MIB the on October 01, 2016, 08:58:32 PM
man lol irl is nuts- these people know what they're doing but seem to be lacking something idk but mannnn 

almost beat a Mario w/ luigi but lol i choked on game 3, 1-2
tfw i could have been on stream if i won that match.

got knocked out by a dark pit 0-2, killed me early with a move i didn't know had such knockback

then there was a $2 second chance bracket
>beat the dark pit that knocked me out 2-1
>beat by a ganon and send to losers 0-2
>knocked out by a really good luigi 0-2

he gave me tips at the end and we had a short friendlie before going, and was very welcoming.

i was sick (wasn't when i registered wtf) and only had a few hours of sleep

i realize im not good as i thought i would be lol and man did they put me in my place

prob won't go as frequent but man am i lame irl

sounds like you had a good first tourney experience. it's nice that you can sm4sh online for more practice, but yeah your first couple tournaments are so humbling. i remember playing melee with my friend hours every day for probably 3 months before our first event and we got put in our place hardcore. it was kind of a weird tournament since Wa melee was pretty dead (there were probably less than 32 people in the bracket) pre-evo/documentary and all the people who were there were the top players

it gets a lot better when you get to know people and start to get seeded, but i am still extremely humbled whenever i play top players. i played spud (australia #1) a lot in australia and i dont think i ever took more than 2 stocks off him in one game. he's flying out to TBH6 keep your eye on him

man who knows maybe i will keep playing melee lol

Go Up