April 17, 2024, 11:25:39 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

The sorry state of console hardware updates

Started by bluaki, June 12, 2016, 01:55:15 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

bluaki

PS4 Neo's absence from E3 might be a bit odd, but the reports still point to it releasing by the end of 2016, while Xbone Scorpio releases a full year later in "Holiday 2017".

If I had to guess why Neo wasn't at E3 this year, maybe:
* Sony wants to avoid confused customers thinking that PSVR requires Neo, which could hurt their PSVR sales
* Sony wants to avoid people thinking PSVR and Neo are the same thing (like the Wii U GamePad situation)
* Sony wants to avoid reducing expectations for how well the demoed games will look on the original PS4
* Sony wants to minimize the number of people losing faith in the original console until the launch is imminent
* Sony wants to make plans that counter Xbone's revisions in terms of marketing or release date

I, personally, hope this system releases either near the end of this year or in the first half of 2017, since that's about the time I'd like to buy a PS4. If they still plan to release this October, Sony can avoid letting Microsoft beat them to the market of people who want a console that plays 4K movies while also having a favorable advantage over the Xbone S in holiday shopping. They could also pair Neo with PSVR in bundles, sales, or ads to boost sales of both.

On the other hand, releasing this much earlier than Scorpio could work against's Sony's favor in terms of specs and long-term appeal during the rest of both consoles' lifespans.

Go Up